Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

August/September VIN Notifications and Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FINALLY - got my MY from Mt. Kisco today.

Went down on Sunday for the original delivery and they could not give me the car due to issues with the insurance card (that could have been resolved before I showed up if anyone bothered to look at the card when I uploaded it)

Found a few issues, nothing major. Was pleasantly surprised. Arranged another appt for Tuesday, they said they would fix the issues in the interim. They didn't.

Today's experience, once I simmered down from their lack of fixing the items, went well. I believe it was due to the smaller crowds and a different SA.

They said they gave me the 1K free supercharging, for taking delivery before then end of Sept, and it should show up in my acct in about 2 weeks. Based on their past non-actions, I fully expect NOT to get it. However, they did allow me to enter in a referral code and that showed up immediately. BTW, I ordered back in Nov of 2019. At that time they were not accepting referral codes on the MY. That supercharging showed up in the account immediately.
My app was populated with the car before I left the center, something the SA said would take 24 hours.

So, now that's all behind me. I look forward to driving the car, first driving impressions are terrific.

One thing I learned, if something is not working properly, not responding, not setting up correctly, try rebooting the screen. When I first inspected the car, I couldn't get the FM radio to play. My pandora via bluetooth worked fine. Rebooted the screen, all was good. Tried pairing my wife's phone, wouldn't hold the connection, wouldn't respond to her profile. Rebooted the screen and all was good!

Thanks everyone here for lending an ear and pointing to solutions. It's a great community, something Tesla has going for it.

Went down on Sunday for the original delivery and they could not give me the car due to issues with the insurance card (that could have been resolved before I showed up if anyone bothered to look at the card when I uploaded it)

Found a few issues, nothing major. Was pleasantly surprised. Arranged another appt for Tuesday, they said they would fix the issues in the interim. They didn't.

Today's experience, once I simmered down from their lack of fixing the items, went well. I believe it was due to the smaller crowds and a different SA.

They said they gave me the 1K free supercharging, for taking delivery before then end of Sept, and it should show up in my acct in about 2 weeks. Based on their past non-actions, I fully expect NOT to get it. However, they did allow me to enter in a referral code and that showed up immediately. BTW, I ordered back in Nov of 2019. At that time they were not accepting referral codes on the MY. That supercharging showed up in the account immediately.
My app was populated with the car before I left the center, something the SA said would take 24 hours.

So, now that's all behind me. I look forward to driving the car, first driving impressions are terrific.

One thing I learned, if something is not working properly, not responding, not setting up correctly, try rebooting the screen. When I first inspected the car, I couldn't get the FM radio to play. My pandora via bluetooth worked fine. Rebooted the screen, all was good. Tried pairing my wife's phone, wouldn't hold the connection, wouldn't respond to her profile. Rebooted the screen and all was good!

Thanks everyone here for lending an ear and pointing to solutions. It's a great community, something Tesla has going for it.
Congratulations ...!!!!!

Hey PagodaY, curious .. what's your car's build date?

Well got two calls today from Tesla. One was a robo-call telling me my confirming my pickup. The second was an actual person at the delivery center asking if I wanted to pick up a day early confirming the car had arrived from MA. I said early pickup was not possible, and so 9/30 is the day. Keeping my fingers crossed. The appointment is not till 6, because my wife and co-owner can not make it till after work. I will likely go over earlier in the day to really look the car over first.

Small paint chip on the inside edge of rear passenger door

This is interesting, we picked up our Blue Y today in AZ and it too had a small chip/paint defect on the edge of the rear passenger door - the edge between the front and rear door. I wonder if something on the line was nicking the door while it was being painted or being installed. I just find it interesting you had an issue on the same door - but not sure if yours is in the same spot.

This is interesting, we picked up our Blue Y today in AZ and it too had a small chip/paint defect on the edge of the rear passenger door - the edge between the front and rear door. I wonder if something on the line was nicking the door while it was being painted or being installed. I just find it interesting you had an issue on the same door - but not sure if yours is in the same spot.
That is interesting. It was on the part of the rear door that tucks under the front door. Photo attached.
F03614BF-876A-4966-BCE5-7C4E306E923F.jpeg

Took delivery a few hours ago at Tyco in Virginia, no serious defects to speak of. Blue/black LR, Gemini, Tow hitch, Autopilot/no FSD.

The frunk lid appeared to have already been adjusted (bolts were worn), and looked great.

The driver's side passenger door was slightly misaligned, and borderline for spec (tech brought a sawtooth-looking gap gauge out). Despite being borderline, the tech adjusted it on the spot and I’m very happy with it. Lift gate was a little high on one side, but bumper adjustment took care of it.

Small paint chip on the inside edge of rear passenger door, also patched on the spot. I had asked to be comped a paint repair kit to fix it myself, but no luck... Can’t blame a guy for asking!

There were four smudges or fingerprints on the interior roof lining, and sales advisor took care of them as I inspected the car. Despite lots of deliveries, the Tyco staff were all very accommodating!

Here's my timeline: Ordered 8/23, 48xxx VIN 9/8, delivery delayed from 9/25 to 9/29. For those in VA, the referral miles showed up in my account as well.
Great to hear you had a positive experience.

I also had a good experience taking delivery of mine yesterday. Only 3 small issues...but my SA basically discouraged me from filing a support request (honestly, I think he's kinda lazy or incentivized to not have them adjust anything at delivery). Pretty sure I'm going to submit a service request with pics to see how it's triaged when I submit it via the app. That said, the issues (to me) are so small that if Tesla doesn't fix them, I'm fine.

My small issues:
  1. Passenger door alignment is slightly more recessed where it meets the front quarter panel (in front of the side view mirror).
  2. Small gap in passenger side headlight where it meets the hood and quarter panel.
  3. Driver door handle is slightly recessed.
SA responses:
  1. If they try to fix, it could cause more alignment issues.
  2. Said it's not a big deal. Didn't say they won't fix it but def was implying that it's not worth asking them to fix it at delivery.
  3. Said they'd have to remove the interior door panel to fix...which is more invasive than just leaving it as is.

Hey PagodaY, curious .. what's your car's build date?

Took them a while to find out, but eventually they told me the build date was 9/12. VIN 048xxx

Took it in today to apply PPF, the installer noticed a small "ding" on the hood. I certainly didn't see it there when we picked up the car, and I really had to strain my eyes and imagination to see it when he pointed it out. Oh well, if it's that small, I'm not worrying about it.

Saw the exterior up close and personal. Official purchase is in 4 hrs. Nothing i would reject the car on. I found lime 6 small things.

1. Driver headlight sticks out further than the passenger by about 1/8 th inch.

2. The rubber rain seal around the wipers into the frunk is misaligned and does not sit flat. Very noticeable on drivers side.

3. Trunk on drivers side back edge sticks out about 1/8 th further than passenger.

4. Rear bumper is tighter pushed slightly funny drivers side.

5. Passenger hind wheel well cover is outside of trim.

So it is about 95% solid on QC without seeing the interior. Guy on lot said he will point these out to service manager and see what they can do by 6.

Car was built on 8/19. So, do get the new tail lights.
20200930_140535.jpg
20200930_134855.jpg
20200930_134646.jpg
20200930_134624.jpg

Attachments

• 20200930_134617.jpg
    20200930_134617.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Picked up our Blue/Black, 19" with tow yesterday in Scottsdale, AZ. Went well, just a few minor things to have them look at, but if they didn't fix them, wouldn't be an issue to me. I've never had a brand new car that didn't need some type of adjustment to something when I bought it. And honestly, never really scrutinized my vehicles as much - just wanted to make sure it didn't have any real glaring issues.

Will be getting tint on Friday (front, rear, hatch) and then a road trip to Sedona, AZ on Sunday!

Pics or it didn't happen:

PXL_20200929_220421788.MP.jpg
PXL_20200929_234133744.jpg
PXL_20200929_230419285.jpg
PXL_20200929_231020767.jpg
PXL_20200930_004756985.jpg

Picked up our Blue/Black, 19" with tow yesterday in Scottsdale, AZ. Went well, just a few minor things to have them look at, but if they didn't fix them, wouldn't be an issue to me. I've never had a brand new car that didn't need some type of adjustment to something when I bought it. And honestly, never really scrutinized my vehicles as much - just wanted to make sure it didn't have any real glaring issues.

Will be getting tint on Friday (front, rear, hatch) and then a road trip to Sedona, AZ on Sunday!

Pics or it didn't happen:

View attachment 593844 View attachment 593847 View attachment 593845 View attachment 593846 View attachment 593848
WOW!!!! The Blue looks amazing in the AZ sun. Waiting for my Blue !!!

Reactions: bacevedo
Took them a while to find out, but eventually they told me the build date was 9/12. VIN 048xxx

Took it in today to apply PPF, the installer noticed a small "ding" on the hood. I certainly didn't see it there when we picked up the car, and I really had to strain my eyes and imagination to see it when he pointed it out. Oh well, if it's that small, I'm not worrying about it.

Cool. Congrats again on a successful conclusion to this lengthy process :) ... Got a new MY assigned a couple of days ago (498xx VIN but built on 9/10). Sitting a Tesla right now - car looked great. Couple of door alignment items they're addressing now. Much better car than what I turned down last week.

Reactions: Dayreg and alexcue
Was planning to post an update about my end of Q3 delivery experience here so I figure I'll just post it now since I believe it is very applicable to your quality concerns.

I ordered a white/white, LR, gemini wheels Model Y w/ autopilot on Monday 9/21. Got the VIN the next day (crazy) and was asked to schedule delivery on Saturday 9/26. Super speedy timeline. I was also wary of the quality issues I had seen online with model Ys, but I was so excited to take delivery of this car that I had honestly convinced myself that I would overlook quality concerns of the vehicle if they were few and/or minor.

Saturday comes. We drive over to Orlando-Eatonville in the morning to take delivery. VIN 49978 is shown to us and it is clear that absolutely no type of inspection was done to this vehicle prior to us looking at it. Numerous quality concerns and two defects that actually made the vehicle unsafe to drive (Tesla associate said he could not let us drive the vehicle off the lot until they fixed them).

Defects on this vehicle (see photos): Panel gaps all around the car (frunk and doors were the worst), misaligned headlights, panels not flush with each other, stains and scuffs on back seats, dirt on both sides of the headliner, grease (?) on center console, gap between passenger side window glass and seal, misaligned back seats, and scratched tail lights.

We refused delivery and are back in the queue with a 5-9 week delivery timeline. We will definitely ask for them to do a thorough PDI this time prior to driving all the way to Orlando and back. As excited as we are to own a Model Y, if Tesla can't get it right this time I think we are just going to cancel the order.

Sincerely hope you have a better experience than we did.

View attachment 593416
View attachment 593409 View attachment 593411 View attachment 593412 View attachment 593414 View attachment 593415

Well I am happy to report that Tesla made things right. Got matched this morning with a new VIN and took delivery of the car this evening. Much better than the first car they matched us with.

B4BA165E-D190-4D9B-B654-D7B2FB97C9B7.jpeg

Today was a hectic but happy day.

Picked my Red LR MY up yesterday. Delivery person was fine but tried to rush me with inspection. I told her I was going to be a while. She was fine and would check up on me periodically. I had my detailer meet me (he’s awesome) since I’m spending a pretty penny next week to PPF and Ceramic coating. He said there was a shitty prep on the car but almost everything would come out with his paint correction step prior to applying PPF etc. The car didn’t look all that clean like it was a rush job. Not surprising since it was the last minute push for delivery by the end of the quarter. All in all it was painless and I only have a few issues. There’s a scratch on the front wood trim on the passenger side and the rear seats don’t fold down with the buttons in the trunk. Gaps were pretty good, alignments were pretty good. My detailed who has several Tesla’s that he rents on Turo and works on tons in his Detail shop said he thought my fit and finish was among the best he’s seen personally. I was happy about that. I’m sure there will be other little things I discover but I have already scheduled a service appointment. My delivery person made note of them as well. I live in NJ but we are heading to DE next week for 3 weeks with family and I need to wait until I get back to have service done at the service Center I picked up at and would use normally. Does anyone have experience with the service Center in Wilmington, DE? Dance I will be fairly close to that I could have it serviced there while we are away. Is there a benefit to getting it serviced where you bought it? Does it matter?

Also are we supposed to get Frunk and rear under trunk carpet mats? I only got front and rear passenger ones. Delivery advisor says the Model Y doesn’t come with anything more.

Am I correct in assuming
60823337-6BB4-4AE1-BCD9-BFD3ABEC5044.jpeg
5DDC2288-07CB-4DD3-8070-CAFD58003ACC.jpeg
26FFC995-13D2-4BF5-A7B5-528A7E9FEB39.jpeg
that the car doesn’t come with a tire repair kit? That’s crazy since there’s no spare. My Toyota Prius which didn’t have a spare did. My Mazda came with one since there is no spare. Seems annoying.

Took delivery last night in Rockville. Initial inspection had some minor smudges they took care of and screw in the back left tire, which they swapped out with another vehicle's tire in about 15 minutes. The back lift gate would not close all the way. They pulled a mechanic out, he got on it, jumped into the deep back trunk (took his shoes off) and fixed it in 10 minutes, locking himself in many times over that period.

Rockville location reps were great, they let me take my time, attended to the few issues without any pushback and made it a pleasant experience.

Thanks to all who provided checklists. I may have missed the back trunk closure.

Just got my VIN 59XXX

MY LG AWD - Midnight Silver Metallic
20" Induction Wheels
Black Interior
Ordered on 9/17/20
Got VIN via portal just a short time ago.

Miami, FL

I'm also a VIN 59XXX
MY LG AWD - White
20" Induction Wheels
White Interior
Ordered on 9/23
VIN showed in acct on 9/28

I'm in NorCal, but no word on delivery date. Come on, Tesla! Fremont is only a few hours away! Get it ready! LOL.