Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Austin built MY LR quick review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have a pic of the cargo liner? For whatever reason the Fremont builds will not have them :(.
The Tesla cargo shelf have rails built into the sides of the cargo area. Not only do you need the cover but also the rail supports. So it comes down to part availability. Tesla will get rid of their old parts before starting a new design. I bet our matrix headlights are sitting 200 miles off the coast of California waiting for a harbor master.
1661228265979.png

Do you have a pic of the cargo liner? For whatever reason the Fremont builds will not have them :(. Also the Austin builds will be able to charge to 100% per my local sales location.

All cars with any type of battery can be charged to 100%. MYLR's use 2170's and should not be charged to 100% unless you are almost immediately starting off on a long trip and will soon reach 85% or less. The only other reason to ever charge to 100% is for battery conditioning health once every 6 mos. or yearly. Then you need to use up that charge shortly afterwards. 100% charging is not good for the batteries on a regular basis. It also greatly increases charging times.

That said, LFP batteries on the lower range MY's and 3's (which Austin is not using) are capable of 100%, every time.

I just took delivery of my first Tesla, Austin built 7/2022 MYLR. I just looked under the front wheel well and found welded metal parts, also noted the center console lid was not a magnetic lid, which I thought came on the Austin builds. but I do have an parcel shelf. I wonder if I got a frame from Freemont and it was assembled in Austin.
even if it was, I still am enjoying the vehicle!
I’m really surprised Tesla didn’t find a way to mount the 2170 with front mega casting. That means Austin still has the extra 300ish robots in Texas to weld the front parts together which would have been eliminated with the front casting.

The Tesla cargo shelf have rails built into the sides of the cargo area. Not only do you need the cover but also the rail supports. So it comes down to part availability. Tesla will get rid of their old parts before starting a new design. I bet our matrix headlights are sitting 200 miles off the coast of California waiting for a harbor master.
View attachment 844013
Very nice! It looks much cleaner with this option vs the aftermarket stuff .

charge to 100%? please elaborate. This doesn't quite make any sense.
I had understood (can't find the source at the moment) that the newer battery pack being used in TX location could be charged to 100% without the battery degradation found in the other batter pack cells. I may be incorrect on that. Either way, it may be wise to charge 90%. It just would be nice to have the ability to get the full range at all times and not have to sacrifice 10-20% of the range.... Damn physics.

Last question on the cargo liner/parcel shelf...
Does it fold or place into the trunk nicely if you need the space? Some other manufacturers (cough cough BMW, Audi, Everyone else) has no spot for it and just sits oddly in the car or you leave it in the garage, ha!

Last question on the cargo liner/parcel shelf...
Does it fold or place into the trunk nicely if you need the space? Some other manufacturers (cough cough BMW, Audi, Everyone else) has no spot for it and just sits oddly in the car or you leave it in the garage, ha!
It only partially folds in place. Personally I would take it out and toss it in the garage. See no practical use for it.

I had understood (can't find the source at the moment) that the newer battery pack being used in TX location could be charged to 100% without the battery degradation found in the other batter pack cells. I may be incorrect on that. Either way, it may be wise to charge 90%. It just would be nice to have the ability to get the full range at all times and not have to sacrifice 10-20% of the range.... Damn physics.

MYLR's coming from Texas have the exact same pack and cell design as Fremont (2170 cells using NMC chemistry which prefers to not sit for a long time at 100%).

Texas did produce some MYAWD cars with the new 4680 battery, but again that battery uses NMC chemistry and is not known to be different for charging preferences.

The only cars which "don't mind" being charged regularly to 100% are the ones with LFP chemistry, which is used exclusively in Standard Range models. To the best of my knowledge there are 0 such cars coming from Texas.

Reactions: JDemo and Senpai
MYLR's coming from Texas have the exact same pack and cell design as Fremont (2170 cells using NMC chemistry which prefers to not sit for a long time at 100%).

Texas did produce some MYAWD cars with the new 4680 battery, but again that battery uses NMC chemistry and is not known to be different for charging preferences.

The only cars which "don't mind" being charged regularly to 100% are the ones with LFP chemistry, which is used exclusively in Standard Range models. To the best of my knowledge there are 0 such cars coming from Texas.
And to go further, only SR M3 in the US use LFP. The short lived SR MY in Q1 2021 used the old 2170 SR+ M3 pack. The only MY with LFP are SR being built in China. The MY AWD from Austin with 4680 is mistakenly referred to as SR which leads to this confusion.

No we don’t think of it as that. We think of it as as a security and sound insulating aid. Parcel shelf is simply a historic term from the saloon/sedan days. Much like dashboard, the actual original meaning is irrelevant.
Thanks! Never hear of that until now. Tried to find it on the app to see how much $ with no luck.
It's $2k. If you got $2k, buy it. It's worth it.

And to go further, only SR M3 in the US use LFP. The short lived SR MY in Q1 2021 used the old 2170 SR+ M3 pack. The only MY with LFP are SR being built in China. The MY AWD from Austin with 4680 is mistakenly referred to as SR which leads to this confusion.
In June of 22i was offered a MY standard range (not long range) AWD with 4680 batteries from Austin. I declined as the SR offered was more expensive than the MYLR I ordered in Nov of 21. I am still waiting.