Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Austin built MY LR quick review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SA responded pretty quickly - says flaps and ppf included on MY's being delivered at stores in cold climate locations only. So there you go.
OK, thanks for that clarification! Makes sense. At one time, the flaps and PPF was only for Canada and far far north US like Minnesota. Then we heard about Illinois deliveries being included (Chicago winters can be rough). I would still highly recommend both items be installed on almost every Y, since mud, gravel and other nasties can easily fly backwards towards the doors and rear wheel area, which sticks out a bit. Too many threads and posts over the last couple of years in here about such damage to the finishes. Disclaimer: I have no personal evidence of damage such as this on my own Model Y, since right now, it is still in the raw materials state awaiting to be fabricated into componant parts. ;)

For those asking what Austin is producing right now, there are two:

o MYAWD with 4680 based pack, lower range and slightly less acceleration - it does have structural pack and front/rear mega-casts, but due to apparent engineering compromises is yet not meaningfully lighter/faster/better than the existing MYLR

o MYLR with 2170 pack. As best we can tell, while they fiddle with the new MYAWD and 4680, they've simply started making Fremont-style 2170 MYLR's at Austin - probably on a separate line. Yeah, that was not the original plan, but it's what they seem to have

• Informative
Reactions: geometro
For those asking what Austin is producing right now, there are two:

o MYAWD with 4680 based pack, lower range and slightly less acceleration - it does have structural pack and front/rear mega-casts, but due to apparent engineering compromises is yet not meaningfully lighter/faster/better than the existing MYLR

o MYLR with 2170 pack. As best we can tell, while they fiddle with the new MYAWD and 4680, they've simply started making Fremont-style 2170 MYLR's at Austin - probably on a separate line. Yeah, that was not the original plan, but it's what they seem to have
Have we heard of any recent MYAWD deliveries/orders? Seems like Austin has fully switched to LR after the initial run of AWD.

Reactions: DerbyCityY
Have we heard of any recent MYAWD deliveries/orders? Seems like Austin has fully switched to LR after the initial run of AWD.
Did the Hertz contract ever go through? I've heard of another contract recently which seems perfect for the MYAWD. Stopping a line and moving trained people would be a giant step back. I guess priorities may have shifted at the very least.

Did the Hertz contract ever go through? I've heard of another contract recently which seems perfect for the MYAWD. Stopping a line and moving trained people would be a giant step back. I guess priorities may have shifted at the very least.
Those trained people would easily be switched to the 2170 line. Only have to retrain the battery/floor section people/robots. The rest of the car is essentially the same.

And I doubt Tesla would waste 4680 on rental fleet vehicles. Yes they would get lots of great data but at 100/wk, Hertz would likely be taking 100% of MY AWD produced. And their site lists a 75kWh battery and up to 330 mile range.

All indications are no. They aren’t producing MYP so no reason initially to have matrix lights there. Tesla probably shipped enough regular lights there for X months of production and knew Fremont might have to switch if supplies ran low but they are already using Matrix on other cars there.
Ah bummer...but thanks Mrbrock.
Any one knows of any differences between the Austin and Fremont builds?

Pardon my ignorance, what's a parcel shelf.
46699d4d-efc9-4542-b8dd-fe1ce4a6e841-jpeg.756409