Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 highland accessories

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Enhance Auto Commander arrived today. My S3XY Knob has been delayed - as they're upgrading/updating the design. This should be an easy install on the weekend.
IMG_7418.jpg

Reactions: divstar and dronus
So this happened today:

1712642297523.jpeg

It's this item from AliExpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006381619324.html. It was $10 or $15 lower when I ordered a few weeks ago. This is the smallest unit I could find for Highland. I'd have happily bought one of those little displays that sits in the air vent - but no Highland versions yet.

Seems to work ok - but it's pi**ing down outside right now and it hasn't yet left the garage.

Installation was not too hard. I did it at the same time that I installed the S3XY Commander. Both devices pick up CAN-Bus from the spare OBD port located below the driver's side A-pillar. Both units grab power by interposing a daisy-chain tap between two existing connectors in the same location. The wiring space is now pretty congested with two OBD daisy-chains and two power daisy-chains. But at least there should not be any rattles. (I used some velcro tape to mount the S3XY Commander behind the plastic panel at the right hand side of the dashboard. This gives easier access if I need to plug/un-plug, and also relieved the congestion in the lower wiring area.)

There's easy access from the connector zone into the space above the driver's foot-well, and from there the cable feeds up through the steering column housing, alongside the existing steering wheel wiring. Fit and finish is pretty good. Looks just about OEM.

So far, both added-on systems (Commander and display) seem to co-exist just fine. That's as it should be.

More news after I've been out for a drive.

(Why did I do this? I wear multifocals, and the speedo on the main screen is in just about the worst place for me to look without turning my head. Multifocals all have am area of soft focus when looking down and to either side.)

So this happened today:

View attachment 1036902

It's this item from AliExpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006381619324.html. It was $10 or $15 lower when I ordered a few weeks ago. This is the smallest unit I could find for Highland. I'd have happily bought one of those little displays that sits in the air vent - but no Highland versions yet.

Seems to work ok - but it's pi**ing down outside right now and it hasn't yet left the garage.

Installation was not too hard. I did it at the same time that I installed the S3XY Commander. Both devices pick up CAN-Bus from the spare OBD port located below the driver's side A-pillar. Both units grab power by interposing a daisy-chain tap between two existing connectors in the same location. The wiring space is now pretty congested with two OBD daisy-chains and two power daisy-chains. But at least there should not be any rattles. (I used some velcro tape to mount the S3XY Commander behind the plastic panel at the right hand side of the dashboard. This gives easier access if I need to plug/un-plug, and also relieved the congestion in the lower wiring area.)

There's easy access from the connector zone into the space above the driver's foot-well, and from there the cable feeds up through the steering column housing, alongside the existing steering wheel wiring. Fit and finish is pretty good. Looks just about OEM.

So far, both added-on systems (Commander and display) seem to co-exist just fine. That's as it should be.

More news after I've been out for a drive.

(Why did I do this? I wear multifocals, and the speedo on the main screen is in just about the worst place for me to look without turning my head. Multifocals all have am area of soft focus when looking down and to either side.)

Very quick drive. Comments:

• mostly does as expected
  • speedo sync with main screen is perfect as far as I can tell
  • speed sign display also syncs perfectly
  • indicator operation ditto
  • it's maybe a tad bright at night (it goes into a dark mode like the main screen, and does dim in line with the main screen)
  • the line about 15% down from the top shows power/regen just like the bar at the top of the main screen - but it doesn't change as smoothly
  • you can actually see when the brake lights are activated (which is pretty much impossible on the main screen)
  • annoyingly, the car image is a Model Y; will raise this with supplier...

Overall, more pluses than minuses. It's staying.

Very quick drive. Comments:

• mostly does as expected
  • speedo sync with main screen is perfect as far as I can tell
  • speed sign display also syncs perfectly
  • indicator operation ditto
  • it's maybe a tad bright at night (it goes into a dark mode like the main screen, and does dim in line with the main screen)
  • the line about 15% down from the top shows power/regen just like the bar at the top of the main screen - but it doesn't change as smoothly
  • you can actually see when the brake lights are activated (which is pretty much impossible on the main screen)
  • annoyingly, the car image is a Model Y; will raise this with supplier...

Overall, more pluses than minuses. It's staying.
Thats awesome... does it block a significant amount of air from the vent though? That's always been my concern with these displays.

Reactions: Jules22
Ok, I am starting to gather my must needs for my Tesla when it finally arrives (at this stage it could be 1 month to 12 months) So as far as puncture repairs go I saw this video on Youtube which was interesting. My favourite are the tire repair screws, just seems so easy.

Reactions: dronus
Are there any experts knowledgeable about PPF? Is it advisable to invest in it for shielding against stone chips on highways? However, considering the necessity of unwrapping the car every 4-5 years, could this potentially cause damage to the paint, almost the same outcome as the effects of stone chips?

Are there any experts knowledgeable about PPF? Is it advisable to invest in it for shielding against stone chips on highways? However, considering the necessity of unwrapping the car every 4-5 years, could this potentially cause damage to the paint, almost the same outcome as the effects of stone chips?
I haven’t heard of PPF damaging factory paint. I’ve on,y heard stories of PPF damaging paint as it was applied too soon after a car was repainted or the paint was not correctly applied.
My 9 year old Model S would have many more chips in the paint were it not for the PPF but it doesn’t stop everything.

Reactions: dronus and Tesl3on
I haven’t heard of PPF damaging factory paint. I’ve on,y heard stories of PPF damaging paint as it was applied too soon after a car was repainted or the paint was not correctly applied.
My 9 year old Model S would have many more chips in the paint were it not for the PPF but it doesn’t stop everything.
Side point.. I saw a white Model S the other night on the way home from the gym.
Damn they are one cool looking car! Timeless.

I just got sent the latest Repco catalogue and the most poignant thought I had was how brands like Tesla must affect their sales.
The catalogue is basically full of oils, fluids, batteries, fuel additives and stereo head units.
Amazing realisation that I’ll never need to buy any of that again.
Come on, I am looking at a state of the art radio/cassette player for mine. And it wont be long before a flux capacitator will become available for the Tesla

• Funny
Reactions: PcS000 and dronus