Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick (50kw) top up while eating before heading into the hills.
Its been a long day!

Wangaratta EVIE. Chargefox and evie rfid cards work well.

The tesla charger here is on the 4th story of a carpark. Yeah Nah

IMG_9116.jpeg

How are you enjoying your first EV trip so far?

More important is the dog doing a review?
Ok so thoughts so far.

The Good:

This is the most awesome car. Seriously so quiet and powerful, a pleasure to drive.

Sound system is awesome.

No problems charging anywhere, plenty of options. I tested Tesla SC, Chargefox ultra snd Evie 50kw. I was charged before i was ready to go back to the car. I charged more than i should have and the navigation worked that out and changed to a faster route (skipped shepperton).

Navigation was spot on.

No problems with auto high beam.

Relaxing place to be, even with dog panting in back sest.

All the other good things that have already been talked about by everyone else.

The things i need to adapt to:

Rear windows dont go all the way down. Dog was not impressed.

Had some phantom braking, interestingly similar situation when approaching ford monster truck things.. wonder if they have some radar?

When in autopilot and the road adopts an overtaking lane, when you merge back into a single lane you lose autopilot. Indicating cancels it or forcing the steering wheel.

Spesking of autopilot it was generally well behaved but it did try to kill me a couple if times. I assume it tries to follow the left road line which sometimes isnt good. It did this more at night.

Only minor thongs, still super stoked with it
Going to have to find somewhere to wash all the bugs off it this morning…

Thanks for following along!

Ok so thoughts so far.

The Good:

This is the most awesome car. Seriously so quiet and powerful, a pleasure to drive.

Sound system is awesome.

No problems charging anywhere, plenty of options. I tested Tesla SC, Chargefox ultra snd Evie 50kw. I was charged before i was ready to go back to the car. I charged more than i should have and the navigation worked that out and changed to a faster route (skipped shepperton).

Navigation was spot on.

No problems with auto high beam.

Relaxing place to be, even with dog panting in back sest.

All the other good things that have already been talked about by everyone else.

The things i need to adapt to:

Rear windows dont go all the way down. Dog was not impressed.

Had some phantom braking, interestingly similar situation when approaching ford monster truck things.. wonder if they have some radar?

When in autopilot and the road adopts an overtaking lane, when you merge back into a single lane you lose autopilot. Indicating cancels it or forcing the steering wheel.

Spesking of autopilot it was generally well behaved but it did try to kill me a couple if times. I assume it tries to follow the left road line which sometimes isnt good. It did this more at night.

Only minor thongs, still super stoked with it
Going to have to find somewhere to wash all the bugs off it this morning…

Thanks for following along!
Interesting, I didn't have the issue with the Ford trucks on my last trip, I did get a slow down when passing large semi's at a similar speed, only got that once, and I did that deliberately as I'd heard that was a potential issue.

With the Ford, was that with them coming towards you? Was it an undivided highway?

I don't think I've even tried my back windows yet, lol

Reactions: dronus
There is a ChargeFox installation on Baillie St that I have used, shows all stations vacant at the moment.

Have a good trip.
Thanks, i did end up using this one as the tesla site got busy.
The chargefox site has 50kw and 350kw stalls, i didnt know this was a thing, pulled into one and it said 50kw.. im like crap.. ohh well.. then i saw the 350 and thought heck yeah.. moved over. Those chargers have longer cables which it handy.
She really cranks up the fans when charging haha.
Thanks again for the tip, it was really helpful.

Interesting, I didn't have the issue with the Ford trucks on my last trip, I did get a slow down when passing large semi's at a similar speed, only got that once, and I did that deliberately as I'd heard that was a potential issue.

With the Ford, was that with them coming towards you? Was it an undivided highway?

I don't think I've even tried my back windows yet, lol
Yep only when coming towards me. 3 times cant be coincidence? Just on like single lane each way road. Something to be mindful of i guess.

Yep only when coming towards me. 3 times cant be coincidence? Just on like single lane each way road. Something to be mindful of i guess.
yeah, I haven't done much on single lane undivided. I did a little on my little trip I did to Nowra, and I did have it do a slow down when going around a bend and having a vehicle approaching at the same time.

The AP stack we are running here just doesn't seem to be built for undivided roads I don't think. I think that is something that is the domain of FSD once beta versions are unlocked here.

Reactions: dronus
If new and not yet detailed/protected, worth at least putting on some SiO2 or wax on the front end and mirror caps - it will make spraying off the bugs a synch at your destination.
Try not to let dead bugs sit too long as they will just get baked on and dead bug acidity affects the clearcoat.
Cheers. Car is detailed/coated. Im hoping it all sprays off..

Reactions: Riasta
For anyone else new to RACV chargers..

Yes, your RAA membership gives you 20% off too.

And, the charger at the front of this pic is 50kw (maybe for older cars?) and the bigger one behind it that i was plugged into was 350kw. Not that the tesla can draw 350kw but was getting 170-180 i think.

IMG_9118.jpeg

IMG_9119.jpeg

To be fair you could have bought anything and it would be better than a BYD seal

Nissan LEAF?

A lot of people bagged the LEAF. I mean, seriously bagged it. The original Tesla company Forum was a hotbed of HATE for the LEAF.

But it’s been a fine car for us. Very reliable. We didn’t have expectations of it beyond its capabilities. It got us into EVs and eventually getting a Tesla.

We still have it.