Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Little disappointed the nav doesn't show speed cameras.
Found this article, perhaps it will come for AU soon?

You can buy these for a one off price of $10 or thereabouts (pay again whenever you update) and upload them into almost all modern navigation systems (except tesla). They even give you lifetime free updates if you advise them of a new camera and are the first to do so. They go in as waypoints.

Reactions: dronus
Little disappointed the nav doesn't show speed cameras.
Found this article, perhaps it will come for AU soon?

It would be nice to have it all built in as long as it doesnt distract too much. Would be nice to be able to report mobile cameras too.

I often run waze on my phone that then sits on the wireless charger. The warning audio comes thru the car speakers.
Waze has been getting a bit busy with all the other “features” which i turn off after every update.

Really handy when in an unfamiliar area or when i was interstate, sometimes the speed limits change or whatever.

As long as it doesnt go too crazy like BYD with all the bing and bong sounds.

Reactions: Jules22
Has this live camera picture changed?
I recall it saying something else with a blue “view csmera” link below?

IMG_9676.jpeg

In case you didn't know these neat tricks that appear on the image of your car on the screen: (note: do this while you're at the lights or parked)

1. Turning your steering wheel, e.g. hard right. The front wheels on the image of your car also turn in the same direction.
2. Rotate the image of your car so it's side-on, then roll down a window of the same side. The window of the car's image all rolls down.

In case you didn't know these neat tricks that appear on the image of your car on the screen: (note: do this while you're at the lights or parked)

1. Turning your steering wheel, e.g. hard right. The front wheels on the image of your car also turn in the same direction.
2. Rotate the image of your car so it's side-on, then roll down a window of the same side. The window of the car's image all rolls down.
How cool is that!
I think i noticed the indicator flashing on the image but didnt know those things.

If you are driving along at 60kmh and open the door does it show?

• Funny
Reactions: edy80y
I think i noticed the indicator flashing on the image but didnt know those things.

If you are driving along at 60kmh and open the door does it show?

The render shows brake lights and indicators when they are in operation, but they are so small they are almost impossible to see on the screen. Certainly for the driver. Sometimes I’d like to know when Tesla decides to turn the brake lights on… like if you are doing massive regen down the Bulli Pass but keeping a constant speed, do the brake lights come on? But it’s too hard to see.

Tesla won’t let you open the doors if the car is moving more than about 5 km/h.

like if you are doing massive regen down the Bulli Pass but keeping a constant speed, do the brake lights come on?
I believe they don't (unless you put your foot on the brake). They will come on when your rate of deceleration reaches a certain point (e.g. -0.1g or something).

But yes, I like to know if they are on or not sometimes, and would like it to be obvious in the render.

Found some strange behaviour with voice recognition. When I'm out and about I've always just said "Go Home" to navigate back home. Last couple of times though instead of navigate, it's decided to play "Closing Time". So I tried the "I need coffee" to see if it would bring up the list of nearby cafes again and no, it played the theme song from friends.

Bit weird that the behaviour has changed. It's still definitely understanding what I'm saying every time, but something must have changed in the last week or so in how it responds, seems to be favouring finding music rather than what I intended it to do and what it had been doing. Will have to do some more testing with it, to be fair I'm using some pretty obscure commands, 'Navigate home' works fine, but just interesting that it's changed.

Would be cool if there was a way to tell it when it makes a mistake so it can learn, if they have any basic learning capabiliity in the voice rec.

Yeah, I've noticed this, almost impossible to see. I thought it was because my car is red so the lights didn't stand out enough, but sounds like it's just because the lights in the image are so small.
The onscreen car rendering is too small. In the early days (2020) the car was nearly twice the size and it was easy to make out brake lights and indicators. They shrank it to fit other info onscreen.

Reactions: dronus and Jules22
The render shows brake lights and indicators when they are in operation, but they are so small they are almost impossible to see on the screen. Certainly for the driver. Sometimes I’d like to know when Tesla decides to turn the brake lights on… like if you are doing massive regen down the Bulli Pass but keeping a constant speed, do the brake lights come on? But it’s too hard to see.

Tesla won’t let you open the doors if the car is moving more than about 5 km/h.
Always wanted to know this, and I tested it 2 nights ago using auto pilot at night and turned on all the cameras.

Went over a crest then the road dipped downwards, I saw the reflection of my brake lights in the rear camera as the car was maintaining target speed downhill.

My Audi did not apply any brakes while performing the same routine. It did not have tacc though just regular cruise control. So either the Audi used the gear box to maintain target speed at downhill or it used brakes without flashing the tail lights.

Found some strange behaviour with voice recognition. When I'm out and about I've always just said "Go Home" to navigate back home. Last couple of times though instead of navigate, it's decided to play "Closing Time". So I tried the "I need coffee" to see if it would bring up the list of nearby cafes again and no, it played the theme song from friends.

Bit weird that the behaviour has changed. It's still definitely understanding what I'm saying every time, but something must have changed in the last week or so in how it responds, seems to be favouring finding music rather than what I intended it to do and what it had been doing. Will have to do some more testing with it, to be fair I'm using some pretty obscure commands, 'Navigate home' works fine, but just interesting that it's changed.

Would be cool if there was a way to tell it when it makes a mistake so it can learn, if they have any basic learning capabiliity in the voice rec.
The original non-tesla system that was very reliable definately did voice learning. The tesla in-house version…no…it is basic. It does not learn.

Always wanted to know this, and I tested it 2 nights ago using auto pilot at night and turned on all the cameras.

Went over a crest then the road dipped downwards, I saw the reflection of my brake lights in the rear camera as the car was maintaining target speed downhill.

My Audi did not apply any brakes while performing the same routine. It did not have tacc though just regular cruise control. So either the Audi used the gear box to maintain target speed at downhill or it used brakes without flashing the tail lights.
I drove a new Prado the other day, going down a hill it uses the brakes but kinda violently.
Either the brake lights wernt coming on, or they were flashing but it was really annoying the people behind me.
Then again this is adelaide where its like playing GTA using a keyboard. Acceleration rate is binary.

The brake lights come on during heavy regeneration. It does not mean the brakes are on. Regen is a form of braking.

Reactions: edy80y and dronus
The brake lights come on during heavy regeneration. It does not mean the brakes are on. Regen is a form of braking.
Ive noticed this when rolling up to the lights, can see the brake lights come on as regen brings me to a stop.
Also when parked on a hill with the hill hold thing on the brake lights are on (not sure if hill hold is physical brakes?)

The onscreen car rendering is too small. In the early days (2020) the car was nearly twice the size and it was easy to make out brake lights and indicators. They shrank it to fit other info onscreen.

They just need to make the light render bigger. It’s software so not hard. At present, it all tries to be “photorealistic” and to scale, but there’s nothing stopping them from turning the indicator and brake lights in the render to nice big bright blobs when they are being used. Even adding a glow or halo around the lights would help.

Reactions: Jules22
Ive got this setup - works very well, except often the car goes to sleep before its finished archiving. There's some solutions available for it described in the wiki, e.g if you use TeslaFi you can put in your API key and it can ping the car to keep it awake while archiving. I don't use it but plan to try do something similar with Tessie. The discord is quite good if you run into issues.
Im swapping out my raspi0-1 for 2 to see if there is any improved boot times.
Loving that it syncs to my laptop at work, plus i can see it all from my web browser.

They just need to make the light render bigger. It’s software so not hard. At present, it all tries to be “photorealistic” and to scale, but there’s nothing stopping them from turning the indicator and brake lights in the render to nice big bright blobs when they are being used. Even adding a glow or halo around the lights would help.
I dont really know why we need an internal render of the status of our brake light. It will not change when or how I apply brakes, and I know the brakes are working because the vehicle slows. Seeing a render of a turning wheel baffles me just as much. They all seem like pointless distractions used to sell a car.

I did a roughly 230km round trip on the weekend mostly on the high way doing over 110k. The car averaged 125wh/km. I have the LR version. Unless my calculations are wrong it will do around 600km with high way driving which sounds very decent. Normal city droning it’s averaging like 145wh/km. I thought it would be the other way around

I dont really know why we need an internal render of the status of our brake light. It will not change when or how I apply brakes

Because some of us are naturally curious and inquisitive people, and like to know such things.

Since Tesla has gone to the trouble of having its vehicle render show when the indicators and brake lights are on, then they should make it easily visible, otherwise what’s the point of doing it in the first place?

Reactions: AusMar and Jules22