Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess it a good step for them to have them at all. Especially in these “country towns”

If you cover them, they will all be ice’d fo shizzle
I was wondering what it would take to just create a small umbrella sized top over these chargers to protect these from direct sun, rain and bird poo exposure. All it takes is max 30 mins to cut a sheet a plastic or just repurpose a plastic clothes basket and screw it on top of the pole. Something as easy and effective jugaad(Jugaad - Wikipedia) goes a long way in keeping these chargers working without any issues for years and years.

I think I bought my first tesla in 2014…maybe it was 2013. Our moderstor would know as he was one of the first. Either way it came on a cargo ship and in a container. It was the 2nd one in Adelaide. I had zero expectation of a national grid for my personal convenience. In fact we used to have a thread on here spotting registration plates, such was the rarity. There are a lot of ev’s now. A decent amount of infrastructure is a reasonable expectation.
The Tesla Launch in Australia was December 9, 2014 where about a dozen Signature reservation holders had their cars delivered. The first standard production Model S were delivered at the very first Tesla Store in St Leonard’s on December 29, 2014. There were no stores in any other cities at the time so in those places people took delivery in car parks and other industrial locations I understand.
Fun fact, those initial deliveries at the launch event were pre Autopilot 1, so Tesla replaced them with AP1 equipped cars a few months later and resold those as company demonstration vehicles.

In fact we used to have a thread on here spotting registration plates, such was the rarity.

Ah yes, the “EV spotting” thread… it stopped when it got to 1000 cars spotted, which took 5 years and the first Model 3 deliveries in 2019. Also back then, NZ was lumped in with Australia as a TMC community. Those were the days 😄

Now, nationally you’d get 1000 spots in a few hours 😄

Ah yes, the “EV spotting” thread… it stopped when it got to 1000 cars spotted, which took 5 years and the first Model 3 deliveries in 2019. Also back then, NZ was lumped in with Australia as a TMC community. Those were the days 😄

Now, nationally you’d get 1000 spots in a few hours 😄
But in NSW the no's were quite high since launch and I think some uber rich got grey imports too before official launch. We were spotting quite a few since then. And since we were not caring about spotting unique ones it felt like quite a lot quit fast here.

But appreciate the early adopters. And I remember few early adopters who were renting in highrises using some very difficult techniques to get their vehicles charged in ABC program years back.

Reactions: Jules22 and moa999
Wondering if anyone else had this issue - picked up my Model 3 today but both the cameras and navigation aren't working (cameras show as black and the navigation basically isn't moving and shows the car as still at the service centre).

I've called support and they think there should have been an email sent to me this morning asking me to accept delivery which I didn't receive. They're going to resend the email and they think that should resolve the problem however I've fully set up my phone with the app as per the delivery instructions so I'm skeptical that's the issue.

I've found other threads on this forum with the exact same issue and they recommend doing a hard reset (I.e. disconnecting the 12v battery and allowing the car to fully power down). However all the instructions I can find are for pre Highland models so I'm nervous to go disconnecting things blindly.

Next mobile support appointment available is March 11th 😭

Hmm had a follow up call from Tesla Service just now and they seemed very confident it's the 12V battery needing resetting as they've had a couple new deliveries with the issue. Probably butchering the cause but apparently while the cars go through delivery they reset often and there's potential for fuse trips. The remedy is to disconnect the negative from the 12V battery (AKA perform a hard reset) which I don't feel confident doing myself as there's no 2024 guides online yet.

Fortunately they offered for me to come by today or tomorrow and they'll perform the fix - annoying that the issue happened in the first place but great service to fix!

This was the thread I was referring to that describes the issue and fix: Hard Reset Model 3 (Cameras not working, no GPS functionality and car won't go to sleep)

Reactions: Jules22
I was accepting delivery in the app, not email. How do you see the car in the app? Do you know you can restart the car in Setting ->Safety?
Car in the app looks exactly how you would expect after delivery, essentially full control etc. which is why I suspect that's not the issue.
My cameras didnt work until after i drove it for a while, something about calibrating.. not sure if that is the issue tho
I don't think mine are calibrating at all - I drove for about 30km and it showed 0% calibration. The first person I spoke to at Tesla did say you may need to wait for it to calibrate but when I mentioned the navigation also wasn't working he thought it might be a different issue.

Wondering if anyone has successfully added a driver through the app.. trying to add my wife
She downloaded the Tesla app and made an account, I sent her an invite.
When she clicks the 'accept invite' button, it just reloads the web page, and does not open the app for some reason. Cant figure it out.

Wondering if anyone has successfully added a driver through the app.. trying to add my wife
She downloaded the Tesla app and made an account, I sent her an invite.
When she clicks the 'accept invite' button, it just reloads the web page, and does not open the app for some reason. Cant figure it out.
Yes, it's been a while but from memory this was how I did it for the wife.

I assume she has a tesla account already set up? Maybe force close the tesla app and try accepting the invite again? I don't recall it being too difficult and actually seamless.

Don't you want to Shut down the car while waiting? Controls > Safety > Power Off
Sorry should have replied to that part, that was one of the first things I tried (+then putting my phone in airplane mode to ensure the car properly turns off which was recommended on a post I found about this issue).

Calibration completes quicker when driving on a straight road with multiple lanes (such as a controlled-access highway), with highly-visible lane markings (in the driving lane as well as the adjacent lanes). Are you driving on those types of roads?
Yep was driving on the highway. I believe the software just straight up doesn't have access to the cameras at the moment (even the reverse camera shows blank). I'm not worried since Tesla have said it's a known issue and the fix is quick and straightforward (and free). The car is still perfectly drivable too.

Reactions: Jules22
Yep was driving on the highway. I believe the software just straight up doesn't have access to the cameras at the moment (even the reverse camera shows blank). I'm not worried since Tesla have said it's a known issue and the fix is quick and straightforward (and free). The car is still perfectly drivable too.
Cameras and GPS unavailable is a symptom of the car unable to communicate with the autopilot computer. I guess that's what's on the fuse that needs resetting!

Reactions: avfc1982