Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cheers.
Yeah as a sparky I wired my wall connector myself. To be honest it’s a relatively simple job (depending on the house etc). I ran a new circuit and breaker, cabling, modified and mounted everything up with an isolation switch in a few hours. I’m a bit oCD with things so it took a little longer but yeah there is a reason tradies have expensive 4wds and JetSkis at their holiday homes!
If they are running 3 phase it is a bit more expensive for cable, circuit breakers etc and it can be a bit trickier to run. I don’t have 3 phase so I just ran single phase (32a).
Ohh that’s a good idea hiring one.

I just watched a delivery of a new model S plaid in ultra red on YouTube, that colour really pops compared to the normal red model 3!

Yeah, in my case everything is there hardware wise, it just needs 1 or 2 meters of cable and to hook it in (the charger will be on the same wall right next to the existing isolation switch). I'm assuming that it'll need to be in flex coduit as well, so another 1 or 2 meters of that.

I'm tempted to just do it myself.

I'm just reaching out to a few contacts to see if I can find someone to do cash in hand, what do you think is a reasonable amount just to run the cables a couple of meters?

If you are looking to hire, Evee is who I'm going with, not sure how many they'll have in Adelaide, but there were a few good options here.

MC is booked to dock at PK on the 06/10/23, it may be delayed still though. Last time I had a booking to pick my car up about 5 days after it rolling off the ship. They won't book anything in until the car is on land as there is often congestion at the ports (especially PK), you will get a email saying your delivery is approaching when it rolls off the ship and is scanned.
Thanks mate.
Just saw my date has been updated which aligns with what you have said.

Attachments

• IMG_1113.jpeg
    IMG_1113.jpeg
    145.5 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: Zinzilla and dronus
Cheers.
Yeah as a sparky I wired my wall connector myself. To be honest it’s a relatively simple job (depending on the house etc). I ran a new circuit and breaker, cabling, modified and mounted everything up with an isolation switch in a few hours. I’m a bit oCD with things so it took a little longer but yeah there is a reason tradies have expensive 4wds and JetSkis at their holiday homes!
If they are running 3 phase it is a bit more expensive for cable, circuit breakers etc and it can be a bit trickier to run. I don’t have 3 phase so I just ran single phase (32a).
Ohh that’s a good idea hiring one.

I just watched a delivery of a new model S plaid in ultra red on YouTube, that colour really pops compared to the normal red model 3!
I had a crash course in single and 3 phase recently. I went to hook up the charger and sparky asked if I had 3 phase and I was like yeah I can see the private pole has 4 wires and the meter box had three fuses, so yep have three phase. But as it turns out the previous owners provisioned 3 phase but couldn’t fork out the probably $500 ten years again to commission the box for 3 phase. I got quotes to get it upgraded and was about $2000 so went yeah no thanks, happy with single phase.

Reactions: dronus
I had a crash course in single and 3 phase recently. I went to hook up the charger and sparky asked if I had 3 phase and I was like yeah I can see the private pole has 4 wires and the meter box had three fuses, so yep have three phase. But as it turns out the previous owners provisioned 3 phase but couldn’t fork out the probably $500 ten years again to commission the box for 3 phase. I got quotes to get it upgraded and was about $2000 so went yeah no thanks, happy with single phase.
Yeah good call. If the property has 3 phase to the board but just a single phase meter and circuits it can be a bit of a task to overhaul it. Often you’d end up just replacing the lot as the old fuses/ circuit breakers would need updating anyway to sign off the coc.
In SA there are new rules around types of circuit protection for EV and Solar. Luckily they are not too expensive for good quality hardware and you are better off doing it the right way first time.
Single phase will be fine :)

Reactions: Cocoboy
Haha, I hear ya, I happened to be walking by the Tesla store yesterday so dropped in to have a play around with the model 3.

Also have one hired for a week long road trip in a couple of weeks, (hire comes with free super charging so it's not costing much more than it would have cost me for fuel for the trip) so that should satisfy my itch a little and gives me a chance to set up our driver profiles ready to go and test out EAP and FSD etc.

Also just ordered my wall charger so I'll get that installed and then just keep playing the waiting game. This house had a Tesla wall charger previously so the 3 phase CB and isolation switch is already in place, just need to find someone to wire it from the switch to the charger. I asked one guy who was out doing other work and he said 600-700 which seems crazy high, from what I've seen that's the price to get the whole deal set up and installed.

Re Timeline I've still got the Jan - Mar, though the guy at the Tesla store seemed to indicate I'd be one of the very first given I ordered on 1 Sept. I'd say you'd be in the same boat if not ahead of me given you already had an order in.
Does anyone know if, when a boat arrives with teslas, is it a mix of model 3 and model Y or is it just one or the other?
There seems to be regular boats coming over from Shanghai with RHD model Y so, if any new model 3 highland get down the production line might they get snuck onto one of these boats?

Ordered a new Model 3 Long Range (Highland) on Thursday. Opted for the 19" nova wheel upgrade (even though they seem to come with a fairly big hit to range - I just don't really like the look of the aero wheels). Completely new to the Tesla world - was never really that interested until I had the chance to drive one a few months ago.

Seen a few people on here tracking ships to know when their delivery is expected. How do you guys do that? Looks like I'm waiting 6 months+ until it arrives in any case.

Bit nervous about build quality as Tesla seems notorious for that, and the buy process is very different from the traditional dealer model. From what I've read though, the Shanghai factory where the Australian cars are made seems like the best for quality, and I've found a heap of checklists that I can use on delivery day. Can't wait!

Ordered a new Model 3 Long Range (Highland) on Thursday. Opted for the 19" nova wheel upgrade (even though they seem to come with a fairly big hit to range - I just don't really like the look of the aero wheels). Completely new to the Tesla world - was never really that interested until I had the chance to drive one a few months ago.

Seen a few people on here tracking ships to know when their delivery is expected. How do you guys do that? Looks like I'm waiting 6 months+ until it arrives in any case.

Bit nervous about build quality as Tesla seems notorious for that, and the buy process is very different from the traditional dealer model. From what I've read though, the Shanghai factory where the Australian cars are made seems like the best for quality, and I've found a heap of checklists that I can use on delivery day. Can't wait!
Welcome! You never know, you might get a car from the next shipment, have you downloaded the Tesla app so you can track the progress?
Sounds like you have ordered a sweet ride, which colour did you order?

Yeah good call. If the property has 3 phase to the board but just a single phase meter and circuits it can be a bit of a task to overhaul it. Often you’d end up just replacing the lot as the old fuses/ circuit breakers would need updating anyway to sign off the coc.
In SA there are new rules around types of circuit protection for EV and Solar. Luckily they are not too expensive for good quality hardware and you are better off doing it the right way first time.
Single phase will be fine :)
The crew who did the estimate are a top notch company up here in the mountains so I had no doubts they would do a good job but just wasn’t worth it.

Welcome! You never know, you might get a car from the next shipment, have you downloaded the Tesla app so you can track the progress?
Sounds like you have ordered a sweet ride, which colour did you order?
Thanks! Yeah I have the app. Saying Jan-Mar 2024 as per the website.

I went for Ultra Red. I feel ridiculous spending $2.6K for that upgrade to be honest, but it looks amazing - couldn't go past it.

Hoping that Acceleration Boost is still available to purchase on the new Model 3 LR. Don't see any reason why it wouldn't be, but I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere. I'm pretty sure some of the European markets will get their first deliveries in the very near future, so we should know soon.

The standard rims are not great IMO, go the upgrade. Build quality is not an issue out of Shanghai, it is equivalent if not better than manufacturers worldwide. We are lucky that our vehicles come out of China. When you collect your vehicle just print out one of the checklists and you will be fine. You have a highland model which has apparently better sound insulation which is one of the gripes on the current model. Relax, you will be driving a great car in 6 months time.

I went for Ultra Red. I feel ridiculous spending $2.6K for that upgrade to be honest, but it looks amazing - couldn't go past it.

Hoping that Acceleration Boost is still available to purchase on the new Model 3 LR. Don't see any reason why it wouldn't be, but I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere. I'm pretty sure some of the European markets will get their first deliveries in the very near future, so we should know soon.
I can’t see why they wouldn’t have the acceleration boost, i just have my doubts they will have a P version. I hope for the guys and girls who ordered a M3P manage to get hold of one because I drove both and the M3P is just f——ing awesome to drive.

The ultra red really pops. I think that’s the colour on the latest out of spec video on YouTube where they pick up a new plaid.
Yeah it’s a bit steep, I paid extra for stealth grey but had to keep it under the lct limit.

Out of interest being a new order have they requested your rego and financial details in the check list yet? We all got requested that recently.

You’ll get to learn about the tracking as time goes on, and how to check for vin assignment etc. Yeah those European shipments should be arriving soon and it will be interesting to hear the feedback. Boats are getting loaded every day so hopefully one heads our way soon after some RHD cars get made.

Hey, same here. Ordered M3 RWD highland 22nd sept and just have Jan-march. I’m not sure when they went on sale with new model but I’m sure I’m not one of the first in line. Considering there isn’t so much as a YouTube review that’s not a Norway test drive I think we are in for the full wait. I went stealth grey! Can not wait!

Reactions: dronus and Cocoboy