Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Might as well just spank it then haha. It would be good if you could put waze on the screen to keep an eye out for, *cough* um road hazards 👮‍♂️🚔🚨🚓, but i guess you could either get one of those screen mount things, or just run it while the phone is on the wireless charger.

What is the viability like of your phone when it is on the wireless charger pad? I don't like cables everywhere so using a mag-safe mount on the screen would incur a USB cable penalty...
I am running Waze - went a 9” display as that was the one thing I missed with the standard Tesla. Phone is fine on the charging pad.

Reactions: dronus
Might as well just spank it then haha. It would be good if you could put waze on the screen to keep an eye out for, *cough* um road hazards 👮‍♂️🚔🚨🚓, but i guess you could either get one of those screen mount things, or just run it while the phone is on the wireless charger.

What is the viability like of your phone when it is on the wireless charger pad? I don't like cables everywhere so using a mag-safe mount on the screen would incur a USB cable penalty...
Waze has saved me at least a half dozen times to date. Be careful though, sometimes and I don't know why it will stop telling you of cops and speed cameras. You have to shut the app down or sometimes changing the audio settings and back again works but I was lucky one day as I passed through a fixed speed camera at the speed limit but waze said nothing even though it had about 5 cop pins on it.

Reactions: dronus
I am running Waze - went a 9” display as that was the one thing I missed with the standard Tesla. Phone is fine on the charging pad.
Is that the steering column one? I hope a version comes out for my stalkless steering column as I reakon that would be useful.
Or I could get the old one and use some gaffa tape and cable tied to stick it down..

Waze has saved me at least a half dozen times to date. Be careful though, sometimes and I don't know why it will stop telling you of cops and speed cameras. You have to shut the app down or sometimes changing the audio settings and back again works but I was lucky one day as I passed through a fixed speed camera at the speed limit but waze said nothing even though it had about 5 cop pins on it.
Yeah it can be hit and miss and sometimes random.
There was a mobile camera on the way to the gym this arvo so I flagged it.
Came back past after gym, the camera was still there but the flag gone so I reflagged it.
Unless the sticker licker in the van was untagging himself it was a bit weird. He was in Christie Downs so I’d probably untag myself too as the risk of danger isn’t passing traffic speeding, it’s more localised to the insides of speed camera vans around that neck of the woods.
Was parked just after a roundabout so no one would likely be speeding there, on a stretch of road that never has accidents but it’s a 50zone so might catch someone rolling too fast over the hill…

Reactions: Cocoboy
I currently have this dashboard in my car.
I previously had 4.6” version. They’re pretty east to install - as long as you don’t mind taking bits of interior apart.

I’ll have to wait for Satonic to bring out a version for the Highland.

I bought mine through AliExpress, the prices were better than their website.

Reactions: Cocoboy and dronus
I currently have this dashboard in my car.
I previously had 4.6” version. They’re pretty east to install - as long as you don’t mind taking bits of interior apart.

I’ll have to wait for Satonic to bring out a version for the Highland.

I bought mine through AliExpress, the prices were better than their website.
Cool.

So looks like the focus has switched from EU to SEA with the last few ships all heading to Singapore/Thailand, hopefully we are next cab off the rank?

I was talking with Wu Wa who does the drone videos of Shanghai on youtube, he confirmed he definitely hasn't seen any RHD Highlands as yet, but is keeping an eye out for them.

Not sure if that's how it works, that they do region specific batches, but it seems to make the most sense.

Reactions: PcS000 and dronus
So looks like the focus has switched from EU to SEA with the last few ships all heading to Singapore/Thailand, hopefully we are next cab off the rank?

I was talking with Wu Wa who does the drone videos of Shanghai on youtube, he confirmed he definitely hasn't seen any RHD Highlands as yet, but is keeping an eye out for them.

Not sure if that's how it works, that they do region specific batches, but it seems to make the most sense.
Yeah i guess it kinda makes sence to do batches. They would have a pretty well rehearsed JIT process but the big difference, and Elon mentions it in the audiobook thing, is shipping and transport. No point making a few if you cant ship them economically, he even mentions the logistics on how the cars get from the factory to the ship, takes a small army of people and busses to ferry them around...

plus i guess region specific features and configuration that would put an overhead on the production line efficiencies..

Hopefully we are next !

Reactions: Jules22
Out of curiosity - has anyone leased an EV through SmartSalary/Leasing before? They seem to be a bit all over the place when requesting information (or lack thereof) and their fees aren't exactly transparent. Maybe there's another forum for this but just wanted to know other people's experience with novated leasing companies.

A little comical they initially quoted me $80/fortnight in 'fuel' costs and $500/year for servicing costs (not including tyres, rego etc) for a Model 3.

Out of curiosity - has anyone leased an EV through SmartSalary/Leasing before? They seem to be a bit all over the place when requesting information (or lack thereof) and their fees aren't exactly transparent. Maybe there's another forum for this but just wanted to know other people's experience with novated leasing companies.

A little comical they initially quoted me $80/fortnight in 'fuel' costs and $500/year for servicing costs (not including tyres, rego etc) for a Model 3.
Nah i havent used them before. My current NL company also asked me if i wanted 3 fuel cards when i did the application, i suspect its just an automated failsafe workflow. Apart from having to use an employer preferred company the only difference i saw was in their negotiated finance interest rate. At the moment its pretty average while all the big companies continue to exploit us but its all a bit too hard to use one NL company and negotiate the finance through another (for me anyway).

Yeah, I've been with them a bit over 5 years, have had good experience with them.

You can modify the fuel/servicing costs easily throughout the lease (and in the case of my Tesla they were happy to reduce them to zero as part of the initial quote), those funds just go into a bucket that you use for any expenses through the lease period, or even if you buy something like a laptop. phone etc.

My current car (Mazda) had hail damage around 1 year into the lease period and they replaced new for old with the newer model that was out at the time, no hassles through Vero which is their default insurer unless you want to find your own. I was happy with the outcome of that (certainly helps my resale value and the balloon payment remained the same based on the original car).

The only issue I had with the Tesla quote through smart salary was that the Vero insurance initially was very expensive (around 2800 for the year) but they redid it recently and it came down to 2200.

Yeah, I've been with them a bit over 5 years, have had good experience with them.

You can modify the fuel/servicing costs easily throughout the lease (and in the case of my Tesla they were happy to reduce them to zero as part of the initial quote), those funds just go into a bucket that you use for any expenses through the lease period, or even if you buy something like a laptop. phone etc.

My current car (Mazda) had hail damage around 1 year into the lease period and they replaced new for old with the newer model that was out at the time, no hassles through Vero which is their default insurer unless you want to find your own. I was happy with the outcome of that (certainly helps my resale value and the balloon payment remained the same based on the original car).

The only issue I had with the Tesla quote through smart salary was that the Vero insurance initially was very expensive (around 2800 for the year) but they redid it recently and it came down to 2200.
Ah good to hear a positive experience. I'm quite impressed by the new-for-old replacement for 3 years with Vero, can't seem to find many insurers that offer the same - although I did request quotes for both a 4 and 5-year lease and the insurance premiums differed between the two by ~$500 (Cheaper on the 5-year lease). Not sure how the yearly premium can be influenced by the lease term, but there you go.

I might go with just $10/fortnight for 'fuel' costs. Do you know if they provide a card for say Evie or ChargeFox?

Its been a year since i got my Model 3 RWD Mid Night Silver ....its an awesome car ...every time it makes me go for more and more longer drives...just sharing some snapshot of the car
20231003_172825[1].jpg
20230922_150238[1].jpg
20231003_210417[1].jpg
20231003_210124[1].jpg

Ah good to hear a positive experience. I'm quite impressed by the new-for-old replacement for 3 years with Vero, can't seem to find many insurers that offer the same - although I did request quotes for both a 4 and 5-year lease and the insurance premiums differed between the two by ~$500 (Cheaper on the 5-year lease). Not sure how the yearly premium can be influenced by the lease term, but there you go.

I might go with just $10/fortnight for 'fuel' costs. Do you know if they provide a card for say Evie or ChargeFox?
Not that I'm aware of but I think the deal with EV's on a novated lease is that you claim per km for charging costs, not sure what the rate is, last I heard it was being finalised by the ATO which was a while back so it should be by now. I was going to check on that closer to my delivery date.

Not that I'm aware of but I think the deal with EV's on a novated lease is that you claim per km for charging costs, not sure what the rate is, last I heard it was being finalised by the ATO which was a while back so it should be by now. I was going to check on that closer to my delivery date.
Yeah my NL company included a contingency for it but no real direction on how to claim it. It’s such an insignificant amount compared to petrols importance in an ICE lease I might not even worry about it unless it is super easy to do. I suppose if you could add Chargefox/evie/whatever cards to apple wallet I guess.
I like with my petrol NL how I don’t really worry about fuel costs so much if I want to go interstate, like it doesn’t affect my spending while I’m away, I just do it.

Reactions: e-enthusiast30

I haven’t dealt with them but I have had a similar experience with exactly the same issue with fuel being quoted and high maintenance budget. They also had tyres too low based on the type of tyre and usage for an EV. I can vouch for Toyota, very transparent, they quote monthly unlike some who try to fool you with fortnightly lease prices and budgets. Some of them are defaulting gap insurance on 3 year leases where your comp insurance will always cover two years, biggest scam behind tyre and rim insurance.