Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Everyone, first time poster here.

I picked up my new model 3 yesterday however since this morning I’ve found out about the child seat issue which Is extremely frustrating.

My plan is to visit the service centre and drop my car off, but what can I realistically expect when I arrive?

It’s incredibly annoying that they delivered my car yesterday morning, only to cancel all deliveries close of business the same day.

I’d rather they had just cancelled my delivery since they were clearly aware of the issue. First time Tesla owner and I’ve loved driving the car around.

I picked up my new model 3 yesterday however since this morning I’ve found out about the child seat issue which Is extremely frustrating.

My plan is to visit the service centre and drop my car off, but what can I realistically expect when I arrive?

It’s incredibly annoying that they delivered my car yesterday morning, only to cancel all deliveries close of business the same day.

I’d rather they had just cancelled my delivery since they were clearly aware of the issue. First time Tesla owner and I’ve loved driving the car around.
Unless you are planning to use 3 child seats right now I would wait for them to issue a recall and then book in.

They are unlikely to be able to do anything if you just rock up at this stage. It will likely be a quick swap over once they are ready to do it.

Unless you are planning to use 3 child seats right now I would wait for them to issue a recall and then book in.

They are unlikely to be able to do anything if you just rock up at this stage. It will likely be a quick swap over once they are ready to do it.
Thanks for your response. Do you think a recall is likely? They wouldn’t just ignore the batches delivered yesterday would they?

I guess I’m just trying to get on the front foot with all of this. The earlier I drop it off the earlier I re-receive it haha.

First time Tesla owner so just unfamiliar with their processes.

Reactions: dronus
Thanks for your response. Do you think a recall is likely? They wouldn’t just ignore the batches delivered yesterday would they?

I guess I’m just trying to get on the front foot with all of this. The earlier I drop it off the earlier I re-receive it haha.

Just sit tight and wait for the recall.
The safety side of it is only relevant if you were planning on putting a child seat with a top tether in that centre position.

The other 2 seats have them, and the doors now have those updated anti intrusion mechanisms that seems to be mandatory in other countries.

Reactions: cafz and Murphster

Recall is almost certain, but until they have the bits ready, it's just going to waste your time if you drop it off early (They likely won't even take it right now)

Just enjoy your car for now, there's no safety risk unless you install 3 child seats, they'll be in touch soon enough and will be able to then turn you around much quicker.

nah i reckon to take delivery would be better. An overnight or day trip to rectify this once the backlog is cleared would be easier as you wont get lost in the logistics of fixing all the undelivered ones too.

And I guess another question would be, for those who have delivery. If you weren’t on the forum, or reading the news, would you currently be in the dark about this issue? Has Tesla issues any notice to those who have their m3h?

Nothing from Tesla as yet, so yes most owners are probably blissfully unaware.
I would expect something from them soon, when they know what the plan is. However I would think priority would be cars waiting to be collected, understandably so.

Has there been anything Tesla official to say what the issue is? In the message to us it’s pretty vague saying technical compliance, is there a chance that it actually is something more or in addition to the tether point, or is that just unlikely?
I don't think it would be anything else. Whether or not there are additional complications with rear tether point, i.e. they omitted it for a reason rather than just something dropping the ball I guess is what we need to wait for.

Is it different from the previous M3?

Yes, as far as I can tell it is more similar to the Model S rather than the previous Model 3. The Previous M3 had just an arm rest that came out of the rear seat, whereas this the whole seat comes down, including head rest.

The Model S appears to have tether points on the rear of the seat rather than on the parcel shelf like the new M3.

Have no idea whether it is this design that makes it more difficult to have a middle tether, logically I cannot see any reason why it would.

And I guess another question would be, for those who have delivery. If you weren’t on the forum, or reading the news, would you currently be in the dark about this issue? Has Tesla issues any notice to those who have their m3h?
Unless you were trying to fit a top tether from a child seat to that centre position you probably wouldnt know, or care.

Unless you were trying to fit a top tether from a child seat to that centre position you probably wouldnt know, or care.
This. I only found out because of a poster here asking me if it had one. Had he not I would have been none the wiser. Without any facts on this I would say the majority of buyers of this car do not have small kids, they do tend to buy the Y.

* For the record, this is not letting Tesla off the hook, or trying to shift blame to the buyers. This is still a clusterf**k.