Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem with that plan is that you'd be leaving the house with less than a full charge, and driving somewhere to wait for charging. There's value in leaving the house with 100%. Still, if you don't want to buy a Wall Connector, just use the UMC, it'll be fine so long as you don't want to do two big trips back to back, because you can't get to 100% charge overnight.
Could pay a sparkie to install a 20A or 32A circuit and run the UMC with a tail from that. 20A will get you 4.6kW so about 15 hours to charge from 0. Including loses. Cheaper that a wall charger + sparkie and you will use what you already have at hand.

Could pay a sparkie to install a 20A or 32A circuit and run the UMC with a tail from that. 20A will get you 4.6kW so about 15 hours to charge from 0. Including loses. Cheaper that a wall charger + sparkie and you will use what you already have at hand.
do Tesla 9or third parties) sell UMCs separately? I am thinking of using the UMC + standard port, but would like the convenience of having it ready in the trunk for when I am away. Yes, you could pack it up, etc but I would prefer to have a second UMC and hang it on the wall.

I've already spent way too much on accessories. I bought a wall connector before pricing up the electrician. THEN I read about the guy who was smart and did the math and worked out he could supercharge over 50,000km for the price of a wall connector and sparky installation. Turns out mine's probably not that different. But at the moment in that respect I'm only out of pocket for the unit, not the installation yet.
You probably don't want to supercharge your M3 for 50,000km, as it will significantly increase your battery degradation. I had a sparky to install a 15A GPO at my garage for $200 (with dedicated 20A circuit breaker), which gives me around 25km/hr charge rate using the UMC 15A tail. If you are going to drive less than 300km/day, then this option could be sufficient, and you can refund the wall connector too :)

Reactions: Loxmyf
do Tesla 9or third parties) sell UMCs separately? I am thinking of using the UMC + standard port, but would like the convenience of having it ready in the trunk for when I am away. Yes, you could pack it up, etc but I would prefer to have a second UMC and hang it on the wall.
Yes Tesla sells UMC but it costs more than a Gen3 wall connector. I leave my UMC at home connected to a 15A GPO, and brought a $250 type-2 charging cable to put in the frunk. Many free destination chargers are either without cable, or with a broken cable, so I think this was a better investment than a 2nd UMC.

Reactions: cafz and Azure7
Unless you're on a long trip away from home and might charge where you are staying (family's house or similar), surely there is no need to bring the UMC with you all the time day to day. Quicker to just top up at a fast charger or destination charger somewhere if it is looking like you are going to run low.

Maybe others are luckier, but not sure how my boss would feel with me leeching off his power bill if I tried to charge at work. Or other workers for that matter who drive ICE cars and don't want to steal a few bucks from work to put towards their fuel bill.

I picked up my Tesla today in Victoria from the Mulgrave centre. Can’t really say it was a flawless experience - the car was a bit dirty (which is fine), but the internal side of the driver’s door has a scratch in the lower part that I can’t seem to remove with water. It is noticeable, which does sadden me a little.

I am kicking myself as to why I didn’t bring it up there… will have to try and get it repaired with Tesla.

Reactions: whmacs
Going through Tessories. So far a sun shade for the roof (even on my test drive could feel the heat badly), and now splitting the boot/trunk/frunk protectors.

Planning to also grab a screen protector, wheel rim protector, rear seat back protectors (for when folded down for cargo). Then a few others that I want to see the car first before I buy, in case the 2022 has varied enough to no longer need them - cup holder stabilisher, boot loading sill protector, etc. Also want to see the factory default floor mats with my own eyes before deciding if they need replacing.

Also toying with the idea of a camping matress. But will definitely wait until I have the car before deciding. What are you looking at?
I’ve been looking at: center console organisers, hidden armrest box, air inlet cover, trunk hook, jack pads, screen protector, invisible air freshener and complete set all weather mats.

Also started researching ceramic coating both external and internal (ordered white seats) and tints.

Reactions: PcS000
may aswell just snag deals on Aliexpress. 99% of the stuff in your amazon basket will be from aliexpress with a nasty markup. And with waiting that long for the car who cares about the wait for the products. My stuff came 2-3 weeks from china. However my ebay floormats havnt moved since purchase in melbourne in 3 weeks.
Good idea - thanks for the tip trippa. I’ll check it out…

Yes it is. It’s awesome.
Awesome
First full day with my Standard Range Model 3 in Adelaide with about 300km now on the ODO.

A few comments.

Car drives like nothing I’ve ever driven. Very quickly got comfortable with one pedal driving. The trick is very smooth feathering of the accelerator. You very quickly get used to it.

Even Standard range destroys my old BMW M3 in performance. If you’re on the fence the SR is more than enough car for day to day driving.

Merging with traffic or overtaking is a game changer. You have the same torque 60 - 80 as you do from 0 with no spool up. Just gets the job done.

My initial camera calibration stopped at about 95% and wouldn’t progress. I don’t know if this was because I did a number of short drives which confused it or that I installed the pending software update before it was finished. Without the calibration I obviously couldn’t use autopilot.

Went in the service menu and reset the camera calibration. On the second attempt it completed inside 20km without a hitch. Autopilot now works but I still need to adjust to trusting it.

My alerts showed an error on my Tesla USB key. Was able to resolve this with the Format USB Drive button in safety. Weird that this wouldn’t have been done in the factory but sentry mode is all working now.

Topped up at the Franklin Street supercharger. No hassles, only one there. Peaked at 120kw. 20 minutes and $10 later I was on my way. Couldn’t be easier.
View attachment 786565

Be prepared for people to stare at you at lights. It’s unnerving at first :)

Also got my first “Tesla wave” from another Model 3!

So far the car is everything I wanted it to be. You won’t be disappointed.
Fantastic.

I am in Adelaide too and ordered the same colour with white interiors. We should catch up!

Reactions: MrLaforge
do Tesla 9or third parties) sell UMCs separately?

Includes:

1x Mobile Connector Main Unit (with 6 m cable)
1x standard household outlet adapter (for orders shipping to the UK, UAE, or Singapore, we’ll send a UK/UAE adapter; for orders shipping to Germany, we’ll send a 16A blue commando adapter; for all other countries, we’ll send a Schuko adapter – if you prefer that we send you a different adapter instead, let us know in the notes box when you place your order)

Ask for a 5 pin 32A plug as substitute to the Schuko/Commando

Unless you're on a long trip away from home and might charge where you are staying (family's house or similar), surely there is no need to bring the UMC with you all the time day to day. Quicker to just top up at a fast charger or destination charger somewhere if it is looking like you are going to run low.

Maybe others are luckier, but not sure how my boss would feel with me leeching off his power bill if I tried to charge at work. Or other workers for that matter who drive ICE cars and don't want to steal a few bucks from work to put towards their fuel bill.
Heard of salary sacrifice? Doesn't have to be theft.

Good idea - thanks for the tip trippa. I’ll check it out…
With all the aliexpress stuff I got Ive had to use a file/sandpaper to sand back some of the edges so be prepared..
Not saying that amazon or ebay is any better - but generally the resellers vet the product(and quality).

Aliexpress can be a bit of a hit or miss and usually requires a bit of touch up.

Then if you also go for the more expensive types, Im guessing you'll get your quality - but then you may as well pay a bit extra and get it from a local seller and an ebay(or amazon) deal/sale ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

With all the aliexpress stuff I got Ive had to use a file/sandpaper to sand back some of the edges so be prepared..
Not saying that amazon or ebay is any better - but generally the resellers vet the product(and quality).

Aliexpress can be a bit of a hit or miss and usually requires a bit of touch up.

Then if you also go for the more expensive types, Im guessing you'll get your quality - but then you may as well pay a bit extra and get it from a local seller and an ebay(or amazon) deal/sale ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
yeh i do agree sometimes aliexpress products can be hit and miss. Ordered some screen protectors for an ipad that arrived broken🤣obviously not too good. But multiple phone cases where all great quality.

I’ve found my aliexpress tesla products to be flawless to be fair. Ordered silicone cup holder. boot and frunk hooks. jack pads. some aluminium pedals. sort by orders made and these have thousands of orders! Generally the quality is good!
Screen protector i bought from amazon. Spigen at $99. Don’t want to skimp out on that!

Reactions: PcS000
I've already spent way too much on accessories. I bought a wall connector before pricing up the electrician. THEN I read about the guy who was smart and did the math and worked out he could supercharge over 50,000km for the price of a wall connector and sparky installation. Turns out mine's probably not that different. But at the moment in that respect I'm only out of pocket for the unit, not the installation yet.

Ditto. I have had to stop myself now. Will be glad when I can see the spare bed again :)
imag3353-jpg.788219

Attachments

• IMAG3353.jpg
    IMAG3353.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 68
Very practical take on this matter. Appreciate your honest remarks 👍🏽

Reactions: Loxmyf