Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Gang,
A bit late to the party, but here it goes.
Model 3 LR - no upgrades - Sydney
order date on the agreement: 30/05/2022

Initially ordered on the 12th of May but got the order date changed to the 30th of May as the original color was black and changed it back to white for the stamp duty benefit. I thought will use that money plus some additional to get it wrapped Satin Black later on.

I wonder, Tesla's page is still showing Feb - May 2023 as estimated delivery time, does that mean the timeline has been shortened by 45 odd days? Maybe it is just due updating and I am being anal about it....

Reactions: Manga and penn_
Not quite that simple -I am OD 10/12 LR (blue/black) due in Canberra but still no VIN or even the "accept lower kilometrage" message. Zen is over-rated!
What happens if you DO NOT ACCEPT the lower kilometrage range? Lose your car and order fee?

I ask as I am thinking, having ordered ON July 8, it’ll be my luck to get “accept that you’re getting no UMC” message when my car comes in in Feb-Mar 2023.

I’m royally p1ssed that I’ve bought an electric car that, without buying a separate charging device for, I can’t efficiently use. Sort of buying an ICE vehicle, then being told I need to buy a fuel tank separately. I get I can charge on a normal plug, but that doesn’t strike me as EV-efficient.

What happens if you DO NOT ACCEPT the lower kilometrage range? Lose your car and order fee?

I ask as I am thinking, having ordered ON July 8, it’ll be my luck to get “accept that you’re getting no UMC” message when my car comes in in Feb-Mar 2023.

I’m royally p1ssed that I’ve bought an electric car that, without buying a separate charging device for, I can’t efficiently use. Sort of buying an ICE vehicle, then being told I need to buy a fuel tank separately. I get I can charge on a normal plug, but that doesn’t strike me as EV-efficient.
I'm not sure what happens with order fee if you cancel based on refusing to accept the changes. Would be interested to know the response if you ask the SA.

I didn't understand your comment about charging on a normal plug. If you have no UMC (or wall charger or similar), you won't be able to charge at home at all so the only option would be public chargers.

What's this about a lower km range? What does it apply to?

Tesla recently changed the CPU on the main computer that drives the touchscreen from Intel to AMD Ryzen.
The Ryzen is a much faster processor, but runs warmer so needs more energy both to run & keep cool.
That means the official (WLTP) range is now a few km less than was originally promised.

I’m royally p1ssed that I’ve bought an electric car that, without buying a separate charging device for, I can’t efficiently use.
Would you have preferred a price increase?

For many, particularly capital city people, there are plenty of corded EV chargers around that can be used much like a petrol station.

I see a UMC more like a jerry can. And I suspect if you go back far enough they were an inclusion with a petrol car as well.

Had my car for 2yrs and yet to use the UMC.
Did buy a Type2-2 cable and have used that many times.

Reactions: MozMan
I'm not a Tesla supporter by any means, but you need to get your analogies right to make the correct point. It has the fuel tank (batteries). They just aren't giving you a jerry can/personal fuel bowser to keep at home.
Fwiw, I reckon it's wrong. People argue that phones now come without chargers, but they have had the same charger/cable for years and most should have plenty lying around. Not so much the case with EVs. Not sure how many would have spare UMCs around the house. Elon has used the argument the data says most don't home charge. Never provided the data. I reckon he's lying as he seems to do with most things.

Would you have preferred a price increase?

For many, particularly capital city people, there are plenty of corded EV chargers around that can be used much like a petrol station.

I see a UMC more like a jerry can. And I suspect if you go back far enough they were an inclusion with a petrol car as well.

Had my car for 2yrs and yet to use the UMC.
Did buy a Type2-2 cable and have used that many times.
I did read that they will honour existing orders and still supply the UMC but I guess we'll have to wait and see - aparantly it's only the new ones they won't and they are dropping the price from $550 - $200(USD)

I'm not a Tesla supporter by any means, but you need to get your analogies right to make the correct point. It has the fuel tank (batteries). They just aren't giving you a jerry can/personal fuel bowser to keep at home.
Fwiw, I reckon it's wrong. People argue that phones now come without chargers, but they have had the same charger/cable for years and most should have plenty lying around. Not so much the case with EVs. Not sure how many would have spare UMCs around the house. Elon has used the argument the data says most don't home charge. Never provided the data. I reckon he's lying as he seems to do with most things.
Agree 100%