Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, what a day. So many people booking pickups at delivery centre.
I too got a call from Tesla today about lunchtime. But despite the excitement about pending delivery, attitude was not positive.
Yes, "your car is ready for pick up" "could you come in today of tomorrow?". No I'm 750km away and i still work. I could make it Monday. "No, Tesla only gives you 2 days". But what about the promised home delivery?? "Oh, I'll check". eventually comes back with vague time frame for trucking it up to CQ. "might arrive some time next week". So much for "two days", and the one week mentioned in the agreement.
About 20 years ago I bought a car from a Brisbane dealer who agreed to truck it up; promised about 2-3pm arrival. In fact, arrived at 1am next morning, and unloaded at roadside for delivery acceptance, inspection in the dark. I'd hate for a repeat with my M3. I would like a proper opportunity to inspect the car - even if it is dirty from road travel like ambishop described.
I hope the my car is unloaded before Lucinda101.
btw Lucinda101my insurance quote from RACQ came in at $990.00
So many other posts i could have responded to today but, ... ah well.
Maybe "sometime next week" though I hope for Tuesday, there will a new dirty M3 at my doorstep, and i can then provide a more energising summary of the experience along the lines of CompleteMuppit

• Disagree
Reactions: Robdunc and BRETT J
Pickup Report:
Just as I arrived at the warehouse, I received a call from Tesla saying that "there was a problem with Qld Transport" and they hadn't been able to complete the registration yet and that there would be "a delay".

I wasn't too impressed, having just driven for an hour to get there, only to be told that I couldn't have the car. Luckily though, they said they were onto the problem and the wait shouldn't be any more than an hour.

There weren't too many cars waiting for pickup (at least, not compared to the photos I've seen of Sydney and Melbourne.
View attachment 841776
There were probably about another 5 cars, out of shot to the left, ready for pickup and maybe another 5-10 being readied for pickup at the other end of the warehouse). Majority were LRs, with a handful of P's and even a couple of Y's right down in the back corner.

While I waited, I was allowed to sit in the car and start messing with stuff... so I did. Build quality appears to be 10/10, nothing that I could fault.

Anyway, sat in the car and got everything set up and then eventually ran out of stuff to do, so I fired up Netflix on the screen and started watching the original Top Gun movie :)

Finally, after about 45 minutes a bloke came over with the number plates and attached them for me and I was free to go.

Initial impressions:
  • Red is a sexy colour (exhibit 'b' below)
  • The sound system is great
  • Driving was way quieter than I remembered from my test drive (road noise)
  • The basic autopilot features had finished calibrating by the time I completed the ~15km drive home
  • I'm going to get *so* many speeding tickets - doesn't matter what speed you're going, as soon as you even think about pressing the accelerator, you're suddenly doing 10km/h over the speed limit.
  • No sign of @Ormaus - probably a good thing, as I'd forgotten the water and snacks.
View attachment 841783

Thanks for putting up with me in the waiting room, and may VINs rain down upon you soon!
Got there about an hour early. Was told to come back in 30 mins. Found a coffee shop / burger shop had lunch. Came back 40 mins later and started the process. They put the plate protectors on as I was working things out. Left the building in my car at exactly 1pm.

1660738896014.png

Thats my grey one next to some poor chaps red one that doesnt have plates yet, hope they arent a 1pm pick up... ;)

Well, what a day. So many people booking pickups at delivery centre.
I too got a call from Tesla today about lunchtime. But despite the excitement about pending delivery, attitude was not positive.
Yes, "your car is ready for pick up" "could you come in today of tomorrow?". No I'm 750km away and i still work. I could make it Monday. "No, Tesla only gives you 2 days". But what about the promised home delivery?? "Oh, I'll check". eventually comes back with vague time frame for trucking it up to CQ. "might arrive some time next week". So much for "two days", and the one week mentioned in the agreement.
About 20 years ago I bought a car from a Brisbane dealer who agreed to truck it up; promised about 2-3pm arrival. In fact, arrived at 1am next morning, and unloaded at roadside for delivery acceptance, inspection in the dark. I'd hate for a repeat with my M3. I would like a proper opportunity to inspect the car - even if it is dirty from road travel like ambishop described.
I hope the my car is unloaded before Lucinda101.
btw Lucinda101my insurance quote from RACQ came in at $990.00
So many other posts i could have responded to today but, ... ah well.
Maybe "sometime next week" though I hope for Tuesday, there will a new dirty M3 at my doorstep, and i can then provide a more energising summary of the experience along the lines of CompleteMuppit

That sucks.

Similar to how they hadn't registered the car yet when I arrived (no idea why that can't be done day(s) earlier)... it just feels often like they have no idea how this whole 'actually deliver a car to a buyer' process works. Tesla has spent a lot of energy and money on nailing the manufacturing side of things; hopefully at some point they'll shift their focus to the delivery bit.

Tesla has spent a lot of energy and money on nailing the manufacturing side of things; hopefully at some point they'll shift their focus to the delivery bit.
I was just thinking about how successful selling is about creating a positive experience for the customer; it's emotional, especially with such an expensive product. That's where Audi and Mercedes were able to differentiate: it was about the special experience and making customers feel like they were valued. This Tesla experience had been the worst car purchase I've made, and I've bought a lot of cars. Mazda made me feel more special than these guys who seem to have an Apple "so what, you know you want it" attitude.

Just my opinion and experience. May have been better for others.

I was just thinking about how successful selling is about creating a positive experience for the customer; it's emotional, especially with such an expensive product. That's where Audi and Mercedes were able to differentiate: it was about the special experience and making customers feel like they were valued. This Tesla experience had been the worst car purchase I've made, and I've bought a lot of cars. Mazda made me feel more special than these guys who seem to have an Apple "so what, you know you want it" attitude.

Just my opinion and experience. May have been better for others.
Be content that the product is exceptional. Marketing and fancy delivery centres are all fluff. After sales service on the other hand..

Be content that the product is exceptional. Marketing and fancy delivery centres are all fluff. After sales service on the other hand..
After sales so far as been excellent.

I had trouble ordering the HomeLink module for the car due to some website problem. Excellent huh? So called customer support and they sorted it out for me and booked the service for Monday. Rather than the module being sent to me and then bringing it in to the service centre, they said it would be at the service centre for you. Nice call, sorted it out well.

Well. The story doesnt end here.

I got a note on the app about 30 mins later on the service booking saying they could install it using the mobile service. After enquiring I found it would be on the Tuesday rather than Monday. Excellent. I didnt have to know about the mobile service, they chased me with the idea not me finding out and chasing them. And best news is I dont need to drive down to Brisbane from the Sunny Coast to wait around for a couple of hours for the install to happen. I can just keep working from home in my study (that no longer has Tesla accessories) a few meters away while they do the work on the car.

So my experience with the after sales service in the 2 days I've had my Model 3 has been exceptional. I certainly hope others have similar experiences when they need some work done.

Can anyone who picked their cars in Canberra confirm that we now pick up from the showroom at Bunda Street.
I was told previously the pickup was at the Civic mall.
Ditto for me. The app says collection at the showroom, 114 Bunda St, but the showroom is only small. I know they have a section of the parking lot across the street. Maybe they bring the cars across as required? But they'd have to do them one at a time which seems a bit silly unlike the other delivery centres which are large warehouses.

I had trouble ordering the HomeLink module for the car due to some website problem. Excellent huh? So called customer support and they sorted it out for me and booked the service for Monday. Rather than the module being sent to me and then bringing it in to the service centre, they said it would be at the service centre for you. Nice call, sorted it out well.

I got a note on the app about 30 mins later on the service booking saying they could install it using the mobile service. After enquiring I found it would be on the Tuesday rather than Monday. Excellent. I didnt have to know about the mobile service, they chased me with the idea not me finding out and chasing them. And best news is I dont need to drive down to Brisbane from the Sunny Coast to wait around for a couple of hours for the install to happen. I can just keep working from home in my study (that no longer has Tesla accessories) a few meters away while they do the work on the car.

So my experience with the after sales service in the 2 days I've had my Model 3 has been exceptional. I certainly hope others have similar experiences when they need some work done.
That's excellent to hear and very encouraging, thanks @Ormaus! Usually it's the sales that's great and after-sales not so much.

For a small issue like homelink sure. Get into a fender bender and see your car go missing for weeks or months while waiting for parts.

Reactions: Mal Cartwright

Noice. One journey ends and another more tangible begins - Congratulations!

• Love
Reactions: Ormaus
If that's their reasoning, they can much easier just announce they no longer honour original prices and you have to pay the current RRP to get your car. Much quicker for them and the PR hit wouldn't be any worse than having people discover they somehow start delivering orders placed at the higher price but skipped orders placed at the lower price.
The order agreement says they can increase the price by 5% should their costs go up.

• Informative
Reactions: Miku