Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All - progress report now I have had the car for 5 days. It is sooo worth the wait - after having relatively nice cars for the last 10 years, this one is a different level.

We decided to go on a family trip up to Maleny from the Nth side of Brisbane to take it for a bit of a spin on the weekend. The drive up the mountain was unlike anything I have felt, the instant power and responsiveness was incredible.

Stopped off at the Maleny Bird World, just to have a place to aim for (was suprised at how good this was btw - even according to my two teenagers!). They actually have a couple of Tesla Destination Chargers in the carpark that are free. We did not use them as we had plenty of electrons to get back home, but did notice someone plug in for a quick top up whilst we were there.

Used the Autopilot (Cruise Control) and the Lane Following most of the way home and was very impressed at how well it handled the roadworks and relatively heavy Sunday afternoon M1 traffic coming from the coast. It was also very accurate moving from the different speed zones within the roadworks. Have had similar features on my last Mercedes, but this is next level.

Arrived home with 65% battery left and the whole family more in love with Alex (the debate to name the car is still ongoing but this is the front runner so far - my suggestion of KITT was shot down straight away and I put my foot down on Penelope!).

I know that the wait seems long, and the frustration can build, but once you drive out of the pick up centre, it just fades away. My 2 cents worth..
Enjoy

Just want to clarify that although it is disappointing, I am not hating on Tesla. It comes when it comes. All car companies are experience this and Tesla is doing better then some. People are mentioning oh the Polestar is getting this is a couple of weeks or months, maybe has something to do with the quantity being ordered. Tesla at least let us know Aug-Nov in July sometime. So they are technically not out of their revised window. The sheer number of ships and Tesla's being delivered show just how many cars this company has in backlog.

When I ordered it was July - Sep, then COVID Shanghai lock downs came, this was always going to put a delay to my EDD. Also at least they are providing us with a revised window. My friend ordered a new Toyota Troopy in August 2021, They said it was 9 months. It has now been 12 months and no revised delivery date not even a peep out of Toyota, they just send him an esky or something and say sorry.

So yeah its disappointing as heck as I want to get out of my ICE before rego ran out and my finance ran out but it is what it is. The only thing that disappoints me about Tesla is some of their customer service, especially these poor people who are losing there cars cause they cant pick up on the date given by Tesla. That is wrong..

Great Govt incentive, your get $3k back but teh purchase price must be under $58k. Leaves all Teslas out in the cold.
I believe this is on purpose and the incentive actually does what its designed to do. The person purchasing a Tesla will do that regardless of the incentive. So giving them money will most likely just be a cost for the government but will not make a person purchase an EV who otherwise would not. The incentive is meant to help push a person who is on the fence between purchasing a ICE vehicle or EV and possibly cannot afford any EV without the incentive, so that incentive may push them over that fence to the cheapest EV they can get.

I mean, they're not as bad as VWs software issues. So that is a plus.
Lol agreed.

And for that other reponse implying I was a Tesla hater, that's hilarious. Love my car, just overtook 6 cars and a bus this morning in an instant and no way my CX5 could have handled that. Will be a while before Tesla is caught up to in our market.

Just didn't sit well with me having to unplug my entire battery to get my cameras to display again due to software glitch. I made a video of the fix, not an ideal thing to do with a pretty fresh car. But still, at least it's not a VW 🤣

The only thing that disappoints me about Tesla is some of their customer service, especially these poor people who are losing there cars cause they cant pick up on the date given by Tesla. That is wrong..
Do they actually lose their car or will it just delay it and they then get one from the next shipment? As the next person with same spec gets theirs so they should just swap places with that next person in the queue? Or am I getting this wrong and they get pushed to the end of the queue again?

My friend ordered a new Toyota Troopy in August 2021, They said it was 9 months. It has now been 12 months and no revised delivery date not even a peep out of Toyota, they just send him an esky or something and say sorry.
My boss ordered a RAV4 Hybrid over 12 months ago and still hasn't heard anything. He's expecting another 12 month wait before he gets it.

Hey what happened to all of the happy people?

All I'm seeing mostly are frustrated people in the queue as well as a couple of Tesla haters.
I'll give my 2 week progress report then 😛

I'm at about 220km with calibration still incomplete, understandable though as it has mostly been driving at night on busy city streets. Going on a longer trip soon so might restart the calibration to allow it some cleaner data, rather than the jumbled mess that it probably has right now.
Reset my calibration right before heading on the freeway, and it completed in a couple of minutes. Started using autopilot straight away, significantly more capable than the pilot assist system from a current gen XC60 (especially noticeable on more curved, single lane country roads). Haven't noticed any phantom braking so far, it does slow down a little while cresting hilltops but honestly I'd do the same if I was driving manually.

Just because other cars can have similar issues doesn't invalidate Tesla's problems though. The auto wipers and auto headlights are known to be terrible, and it especially doesn't bode well when Vision based AP demands them
Auto high beams are indeed quite terrible, probably unintentionally blinded a dozen cars before I started to manually disable it every time when turning on AP at night.

Auto wipers are hit and miss, it handled sporadic rain okay one time but then started wiping at nothing another time.

Don't know why, but it feels quieter now on the VIN front than during the Covid and plant upgrade periods.
We don't even get drone videos of the Shanghai plant or dock any-longer.

Popped into the Parramatta dealership last week for the heck of it. SA assured me that i will receive the vehicle this side of Xmas.
18/03 order, app showing 6-9 mouths.

1661739065403.png

Reactions: Mattflow and Braz
Hey what happened to all of the happy people?
I have been out driving my week-old pride and joy and no longer waiting. 😁
Ran from Brisbane up to Gympie to see family. The instant get-up-and-go is such a delight.

Really very enjoyable apart from two instances of sudden braking. One where the car's database clearly said the road was still a construction site (40 km/h) rather than the 110 km/h it is. The other was a phantom triggered by merging traffic (Added lane) that was not a threat. Not emergency level braking, but certainly not holding back either.

Hi to all the people who are looking at finance options. I mentioned this hundreds of pages back. One option is to get your bank to do a home loan for your car. Yes, this can be done. NAB did it for us, it's the best rate but it had to be taken out over a shorter period. Ours 7 yrs. We did the variable rate, no early payout fees. Even has redraw if you are ahead. Once approved the money just went straight into our account and was just waiting there until the car needed to be paid for. Then we just paid cash out of our account, no finance registered against the car. You do have to start paying the loan off straight away but so what. You have to pay it off sometime anyway. The up side, we have paid off over 4k before we have got our car (which is today🎉). ONE thing, make sure you're a disciplined person who won't touch that money for any other reason. Otherwise, come the day to pay, the monies not there and you have a loan to pay off and now, no car 😅
Wow I've never heard of that before. That's an awesome outside the box way to get your finance sorted. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Braz
My friend ordered a new Toyota Troopy in August 2021, They said it was 9 months. It has now been 12 months and no revised delivery date not even a peep out of Toyota, they just send him an esky or something and say sorry.
Sounds like my neighbour. Ordered a Toyota Fortuner the week before I placed my M3 order and Toyota have been shocking with updates, a text message here or there... and it looks like his wait will be over 12 months at this point.

We all grumble about 6-9 months.. sometimes a bit more... but its not like we are the odd ones out here...

Buying anything in todays market is slow. I'm in the construction industry and building a new home now has just skyrocketed in terms of build time aswell with material and trade shortages.. its the world we live in now and its affecting most industries.

Take a deep breath, remember all the reasons we love this car, know it will come eventually and keep being happy for those that are picking up their cars around us and sharing their feedback and photos, I know seeing how happy and excited people are when they receive their cars keeps me going!