Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would not call their EDD-s conservative, considering that people who ordered their cars in early February are still waiting to get VIN assigned and actual delivery date assigned. They have already waited close to 8 months and it takes at least another month of wait once the VIN is assigned if not more. So with the extra manufacturing capacity, they may start cutting down the wait times, but as order numbers have been going up as fast or faster than manufacturing capacity, there is a good chance the waiting times will still remain similar.
A lockdown happened plus line upgrades

So serious question, I ordered in only August, so not long ago, and when I ordered, the delivery range (as it is now) said Feb - May 2023. How high should my expectations be that they will meet May at least? That would be about 9 months from order?

I was happy to wait, as all the other cars I was considering had similar delivery windows. But if it's Dec 2023 and I'm still waiting......... That's another story
Read back through this forum and you'll get an idea very quickly 😉

Reactions: MagicalseT
Checked my app this morning and it took AGES to load. Was sat there waiting for it to pop up asking me to accept Tesla vision. Unfortunately it was just being slow today. Fingers crossed for a VIN in the coming week!
The server was probably just overloaded with all of our obsessive refreshing!
I know I have refreshed more as we go into the new quarter!

• Funny
Reactions: Mal Cartwright
This comment is highly self complacent. If you start your comment with " You know you are lucky comparing to the third world country", you won't be able to judge anything.

For example if you were treated wrongly in your workplace, your boss could say "You should feel lucky you still have a job, think about the ppl living in the third world country".

Think twice before you post.

Besides I ordered a Tesla, not Toyota or Volkswagen. Corolla or Golf is none of my business. I would only want to compare the Model 3 delivery with the Model Y.
Plus, I in no way consider myself a “privileged“ person, not in Australian terms. The car I bought is not $70K+ it’s under $60K and these days by no means an overly expensive car. It’s a problem with the wait when you see later orders already being driven around, and I’m guessing other people awaiting cars by other manufacturers would also be frustrated in the same situation.

I agree, just be patient.
I'm sure Tesla would prefer to fill the backlog too.
The problem isn't Tesla or its Chinese workers, it's that idiot Le Xing Ping's insistence on zero Covid causing the plant and its suppliers all manner of supply and delivery issues.
They'll get here.
No delivery issues with domestic orders though….. down to a 7 day wait apparently. They could easily “fill our backlog” if they wanted to.

Plus, I in no way consider myself a “privileged“ person, not in Australian terms. The car I bought is not $70K+ it’s under $60K and these days by no means an overly expensive car. It’s a problem with the wait when you see later orders already being driven around, and I’m guessing other people awaiting cars by other manufacturers would also be frustrated in the same situation.
Probably depending on their situation. My current car is close to 100k odometer and because it was made in Germany the value depreciates pretty quickly when the mileage becomes 6 figures. Tesla offered me a good price for trade-in in March, which they would only honour for 3 months. I requested a refresh and they refused. They told me to wait until the VIN has been assigned. Since March, I have added about 12k onto my mileage.

Therefore I am pretty anxious now. Otherwise, I probably won't even be on this forum.

Last edited:
Probably depending on their situation. My current car is close to 100k odometer and because it was made in Germany the value depreciates pretty quickly when the mileage becomes 6 figures. Tesla offered me a good price for trade-in in March, which they would only honour for 3 months. I requested a refresh and they refused. They told me to wait until the VIN has been assigned. Since March, I have added about 12k onto my mileage.

Therefore I am pretty anxious now.
You’re not the only one in that particular vessel…(I didn’t want to say ship…oh! Da**it)

Reactions: ecatt
No delivery issues with domestic orders though….. down to a 7 day wait apparently. They could easily “fill our backlog” if they wanted to.
Unfortunately it’s not that simple, you need to book spots on the boats and Tesla are competing for spots with a bunch of other companies plus these bookings are done well in advance….logistics are a bit different for the local market.

Unfortunately it’s not that simple, you need to book spots on the boats and Tesla are competing for spots with a bunch of other companies plus these bookings are done well in advance….logistics are a bit different for the local market.
Again the story comes back to Model Y. Heaps of spots for the Y but not the less loved child 3. There's no other explanation...

Last edited:
Still not sure why instead of reducing wait times in other countries, Tesla can't stay on Australian production for longer until the backlog is cleared. Then once this is done, THEN start reducing wait times in other countries. If Shanghai can reduce wait times, they have excess capacity so put that to work for Aus first. No one is going to complain about wait times as long as EDDs are met. I'm pretty sure Chinese customers will put up with a month wait time. Reducing them down to 1 week and leaving Aus at 9 months is just nuts, especially when the Aus backlog could probably be cleared with an extra week of production.

Still not sure why instead of reducing wait times in other countries, Tesla can't stay on Australian production for longer until the backlog is cleared. Then once this is done, THEN start reducing wait times in other countries. If Shanghai can reduce wait times, they have excess capacity so put that to work for Aus first. No one is going to complain about wait times as long as EDDs are met. I'm pretty sure Chinese customers will put up with a month wait time. Reducing them down to 1 week and leaving Aus at 9 months is just nuts, especially when the Aus backlog could probably be cleared with an extra week of production.
Totally agreed, a whole backlog of Australian orders will not take them more than a few days of production to clear when they make over 1000 Model 3 per day, so it would not push local orders there by a month, it would be closer to pushing them back by a few days to a week, though there is no point for them to produce a few thousand to sit on the lot there unless they have ship capacity booked, so they can produce and roll them on to ships shortly after.

Totally agreed, a whole backlog of Australian orders will not take them more than a few days of production to clear when they make over 1000 Model 3 per day, so it would not push local orders there by a month, it would be closer to pushing them back by a few days to a week, though there is no point for them to produce a few thousand to sit on the lot there unless they have ship capacity booked, so they can produce and roll them on to ships shortly after.
Yes it really shows that Telsa doesnt have its best business foot forward. They just have a product people want! Its the lack of communication and not even any sort of apology for misleading us during the sales period.