Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yay it's finally here! šŸŽ‰ Looks gorgeous!!! šŸ˜ (and glad it was worth the wait! šŸ˜‹)
Didn't realise you were going to apply the ceramic coating yourself. Did it take a long time?

(BTW, how cute is your frenchie? šŸ˜ )
Thanks @*Sparkles*
Yes we decided to do it ourselves, and this also gave us a chance to go over the car more thoroughly. The actual ceramic coating itself took about 2 or so hours, as my husband did that by himself. I just helped with the prep. The steps are first washing and drying the car, then spraying one panel at a time with the Three way prep spray - the bonnet was done in 2 sections - and waiting a minute or so for it to break down the contaminants in the paint. (I recommend watching the video on how to do it properly, as you need to make sure you only use the Claying Rubber on the sprayed area, and not on the dry paint at all. It does say to rinse off each panel as you go, but we read somewhere that it isnā€™t too bad to leave it in for a bit, so we did the whole car before rinsing (but we did it in the evening which the temperature was pretty cool at that stage, so didnā€™t really dry on. Then wash with a PH balanced car wash, then dry again thoroughly, then finally apply the ceramic coating.

I know my frenchie (Charlotte) is the cutest thing šŸ˜and I love her to bits.

Removal of the ultrasonic sensor would be probably the biggest disappointment and drawback so far.

Tesla should really remove the sensor when all the vision-based parking-related feature is tested and rolled out. It doesn't look like they care about the user experience that much anymore.

The longer I observe the more I feel Tesla is becoming a stock price-driven corporate than how it was originally found.

Looks sick, nice! I too would be interested in hearing your experience with applying the ceramic coat.

BTW, I've not been pessimistic, just frustrated.
Thanks @Mal Cartwright Just posted a more detailed response about ceramic coating the paintwork just before replying to you, but what I can add is when Ceramic Coating the seats, and I didnā€™t see anyone mention it in the numerous videos that I watched, is when doing the front seats once you have done the upper part of the seat, just recline it back so you can easily access all of the seat where the top meets the bottom.

I actually wasnā€™t aiming the pessimists comment at you šŸ˜‰

Not liking the idea that we might have the ultrasonic sensors removed and lose the park assist feature!!
It did list the markets where they're removing them initially as North America, Europe, Middle East and Taiwan. Conspicuously absent from the list is mainland China and the RHD markets HK, JP, AU and NZ. So as long as yours gets built soon, it should hopefully still have the USS.

Conspicuously absent from the list is mainland China and the RHD markets HK, JP, AU and NZ. So as long as yours gets built soon, it should hopefully still have the USS.
That was my thought too.

It mentioned the change will be rolled out to the rest of the world "over the new few months". I'd say car built this year from China will have sensors. Anytime next year they could remove them.

Iā€™m guessing itā€™s going to be similar to how Apple implemented the top down view with their new continuity camera feature. Wish Tesla implements a 360 degree camera if they are gonna take out the sensors.
It can't be. The camera behind the mirror is blocked by the head of the car and can't see in front of the bumper. Also can't add new cameras because they need to maintain backward compatibility with existing models.

It can't be. The camera behind the mirror is blocked by the head of the car and can't see in front of the bumper.
True that, but it could be done similar to how some manufacturers display whatā€™s underneath the car (Land Rover clear view). Essentially the car captures what it sees a few meters ahead (of the bumper) and then display those when the car moves to that spot.

True that, but it could be done similar to how some manufacturers display whatā€™s underneath the car. Essentially the car captures what it sees a few meters ahead (of the bumper) and then display those when the car moves to that spot.
It the car is going in a straight line, yes. If the car is doing a sharp left turn into a tight parking space, there is certainly going to be blindspots for that dashcam. In addition, to be able to obtain the depth information of an obstacle, a few cameras with different focal lengths need to both see it too (Potentially the side cameras). Currently, the FSD rolled out can't park into any parking space probably for this reason, but it becomes quite a bit of hassle if the same rule applies to Parking Assist.

I guess even Tesla can't defy the law of physics.

It the car is going in a straight line, yes. If the car is doing a sharp left turn into a tight parking space, there is certainly going to be blindspots for that dashcam. In addition, to be able to obtain the depth information of an obstacle, a few cameras with different focal lengths need to both see it too (Potentially the side cameras). Currently, the FSD rolled out can't park into any parking space probably for this reason, but it becomes quite a bit of hassle if the same rule applies to Parking Assist.

I guess even Tesla can't defy the law of physics.
Itā€™s definitely not impossible. Requiring two cameras for depth perception is the traditional and more robust way of doing things. But I guess thatā€™s why Tesla has come up with the occupancy network. Have a read.

• Informative
Reactions: Polarxp
If it was a common spec the car would have been delivered in the last quarter
Such a silly comment, it wasnā€™t delivered last quarter because itā€™s a RWD and last quarter was only LR and Pā€™s and a handful of RWDā€™s with 19ā€ wheels

I ordered white/black 18ā€ wheels in Feb is that not popular either? šŸ˜‚

From the countries listed don't think that includes Shanghai made vehicles (for now)
Well the article states:
"Today, we are taking the next step in Tesla Vision by removing ultrasonic sensors (USS) from Model 3 and Model Y. We will continue this rollout with Model 3 and Model Y, globally, over the next few months, followed by Model S and Model X in 2023."
meaning that most likely before the end of the year (or however long next few months are for Tesla) it will be incorporated to all Model 3 and Y production regardless of location including Shanghai.