Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For no Perth users, I've looked at a similar plan with Red Energy:
Red also have an "EV Saver" that offers free power between 12pm - 2pm on Saturday and Sunday.

Retail rates across the NEM will vary depending on your distributor because there's distribution and transmission costs bundled into the retail rates, but this is what it looks like on the EvoEnergy network:

1667451975311.png

To see this, put your postcode in here, then use the right arrow to move across when the plans are shown - it's not on screen by default.

Red also have an "EV Saver" that offers free power between 12pm - 2pm on Saturday and Sunday.

Retail rates across the NEM will vary depending on your distributor because there's distribution and transmission costs bundled into the retail rates, but this is what it looks like on the EvoEnergy network:

View attachment 870503

To see this, put your postcode in here, then use the right arrow to move across when the plans are shown - it's not on screen by default.
I saw this too, and was unsure how useful a 2 hour window on Saturday and Sunday right in the middle of the day would be in any way useful.

It's likely I'm going to out of the house then with the car. A more useful time for free electricity would be weeknights between 10pm - 5am (doesn't have to be this full range) where I'm topping the car back up from the work commute.

I saw this too, and was unsure how useful a 2 hour window on Saturday and Sunday right in the middle of the day would be in any way useful.

It's likely I'm going to out of the house then with the car. A more useful time for free electricity would be weeknights between 10pm - 5am (doesn't have to be this full range) where I'm topping the car back up from the work commute.
If it's free, it will never be in a useful time 😂

I do not believe they went for useful, they probably go for free because that is the time every solar panel is producing usually and during weekend there is less business power draw, so they dont pay for it and can give it out free hoping to coax more people to use it so it dont go to waste.

Reactions: NathanWilliams
For anyone in Perth that is interested, Synergy (our only power provider in WA so this isn't an endorsement of a particular company), have just released a new energy plan called the Electric Vehicle Add On that gives better rates in the middle of the day and overnight, it does have a big peak charge between 3pm and 9pm of 50c a kW but I've run the figures on my actual usage and it works out cheaper even before I have a car to charge at home.

Car needs to be registered in the same name as on your Synergy bill to be eligible which sucks for company purchased cars, but for others it seems quite good:
Electric Vehicle Add On

Supply charge per day: 120c
Tariffs:

• Overnight (11pm to 6am) - 18c
Take advantage of the second lowest rate for electricity by shifting the time you charge your EV to during this period.

• Peak (3pm to 9pm) - 50c
Where possible avoid or use less electricity during this time as it has a higher rate.

• Super Off Peak (9am to 3pm) - 8c
You could save by shifting your electricity use to this period, which offers the lowest electricity charge.

• Off Peak (6am to 9am / 9pm to 11pm) - 22c
These two time periods offer a rate between the Peak, Overnight and Super Off Peak rates.
Thanks for sharing. Looks good but for me I'm currently on single phase @ 27 cents per KWH and 98 cents daily supply charge as well have 4.5KWH solar so essentially any day light hours I'm living off the solar. I'll be driving less than 30Km on weekdays so still cheaper to remain on my plan even if charging at peak time. Will do a deal with my land lord to charge during day as my car bay is adjacent to a power point :)

Reactions: Draco and danwale
EDD went from 8th November - 22nd November to 27th November - 11th December...

WHY TESLA... why must you toy with a mans feelings for so long :(
Mine has done the same, pretty sure ours are on the same ship (RCC Shanghai) and it’s currently off the coast near Bundaberg due in to Port Kembla on Saturday morning so I’m still hopeful for the end of next week on the assumption they’ll be offloaded at Port Kembla + quarantine/paperwork and trucked up to the GC.

I do not believe they went for useful, they probably go for free because that is the time every solar panel is producing usually and during weekend there is less business power draw, so they dont pay for it and can give it out free hoping to coax more people to use it so it dont go to waste.
What they pay for it is... complicated. They do actually have to pay a small amount of solar feed-in; across all their customers they (Red Energy) will still be net purchasers of electricity even at that time; they are a vertically integrated gentailer (they're owned by Snowy Hydro) so they're sort of buying it from themselves to some extent; even given that they're a gentailer, the electricity they're giving away for free could have been sold on the wholesale market; the wholesale market price is often negative at those times.

They do certainly have to pay the DNSP per-kW charges to the distributor to get that electricity to you, though.

Personally I don't factor it in as relying on "charge 44kWh of free power every weekend" to make the numbers work, but it turns out we're often home for lunch around that time between sport and things, so will generally aim to have free capacity in the battery to utilise it when we're around. It's brought my average home charging price (as calculated by the Tesla app) down to about 11c/kWh.

Reactions: Stokesy