Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting that the New Zealand Highland Model 3 expected delivery date of December 2023 to March 2024 only applies to the standard range model and not the long range model. I wonder if Australian deliveries will get the SR first.

Another interesting thing to consider is our M3 SRs are quite cheap compared to some other markets. Ours SR starts at $61,900, EU are paying 42,900€ which equates to $71,220AUD at today’s rate. I can see why Tesla are sending their first cars to Europe. Much better money than our market.
On X they indicated that the first few ship loads sent to Europe were SR, so you might be onto something.

Reactions: DougalVizsla
In Adelaide indicators indicate what your last turn might have been, not where you intend to go haha.

Yeah i was talking about peoples online commentary saying that they dont like it because they would never be able to exit a roundabout hahaha. like a roundabout passport you must show or you are denied entry hahaha
Haha its so true, and in Adelaide grab that merge spot quick because the person will close it up quickly to make sure you cant get in.

Reactions: dronus
I Loved mine too, but only on specific days. In winter i used to drive with a woolen blanket over my legs and in summer (as you mentioned) it was like getting a tattoo over sunburn. Being only 3 gears you kinda-had-to wind it out too which was fun.

The way people talk about the lack of indicator stalks its like .... you can enter the roundabout but you cannot exit until you indicate.. like youll be trapped on it and someone is going to rappel out of a helicopter and tazer you if you dont indicate. Meh, hasnt happend in any other car so i doublt it in the new car hahaha.
Yeah forgot about having to wind it out, they made good engines in the holdens back then, I recall it being a blue straight 6 I think, been a while.

Another interesting thing to consider is our M3 SRs are quite cheap compared to some other markets. Ours SR starts at $61,900, EU are paying 42,900€ which equates to $71,220AUD at today’s rate. I can see why Tesla are sending their first cars to Europe. Much better money than our market.
Might be a couple of things in play there but yes money is probably the main thing haha.
Tesla do seem to enable lower prices later after selling at the best margin first to fund the mass production. The net effect is lower costs in manufacturing and a consistent quality product.
Shipping to Europe from Shanghai is a fairly long way so probably expensive.
Not sure on how Europe import taxes and govt kickbacks work.
They are a big market, hungry (no pun intended) for the product.

Imagine what its going to be like when Model Y gets its update… :)

Haha its so true, and in Adelaide grab that merge spot quick because the person will close it up quickly to make sure you cant get in.
Nothings changed. If you leave a gap any bigger than could be passive aggressive tailgating, someone will slide in there. Usually for no reason and slide back out when a gap appears on the other side.
It’s not Bathurst.
Not sure why they do that, some kind of fomo.
That was really noticeable when I was test driving the m3 as it would slow down automatically. It should have an “Adelaide setting”
The only acceptable action when someone cuts you off in Adelaide is to tailgate them, flash your lights and lean on the horn for a few minuites. Tail gate them for as long as you can, edge right up to them at the lights, and if given any opportunity drive down the inside left of them down a bike lane, cut in front and brake check them.
People get so mad here, for no reason, unless they are in a hurry to get home to smoke crack, dunno.. they get even angrier if (like me) you don’t react.

On the other hand if you are cruising along in Adelaide and someone indicates to come over and the shoe is on the other foot, it’s your civic duty to speed up and cut them off. It’s YOUR SPOT in YOUR LANE and it must be defended by the power of greyskull.
It’s why people just drive in the right land doing 10kmh under the limit here, the abuse is much more predictable

The 2 i have were my '66 HR Premier (3 on the tree) and a Merc VITO (Auto).
One was much more fun to drive than the other.

Surely the HR was better?

Nothings changed. If you leave a gap any bigger than could be passive aggressive tailgating, someone will slide in there. Usually for no reason and slide back out when a gap appears on the other side.
It’s not Bathurst.
Not sure why they do that, some kind of fomo.
That was really noticeable when I was test driving the m3 as it would slow down automatically. It should have an “Adelaide setting”
The only acceptable action when someone cuts you off in Adelaide is to tailgate them, flash your lights and lean on the horn for a few minuites. Tail gate them for as long as you can, edge right up to them at the lights, and if given any opportunity drive down the inside left of them down a bike lane, cut in front and brake check them.
People get so mad here, for no reason, unless they are in a hurry to get home to smoke crack, dunno.. they get even angrier if (like me) you don’t react.

On the other hand if you are cruising along in Adelaide and someone indicates to come over and the shoe is on the other foot, it’s your civic duty to speed up and cut them off. It’s YOUR SPOT in YOUR LANE and it must be defended by the power of greyskull.
It’s why people just drive in the right land doing 10kmh under the limit here, the abuse is much more predictable
I am actually laughing reading this, it is so true of Adelaide drivers of which I was one and did exactly that, because its what everyone does. Now when I go back I really notice it and I soon slip back into doing it. I will be tailgating and on the horn in no time!

It would be really interesting to find any information about whether or not the production line has started producing RHD model 3 yet, or what stage they are up to in the build schedule.
<searches flightcentre for flights to Shanghai> haha

I would say that is now confirmed to be the case, although I don't want to say how I know. But clearly Model 3 RHD have been in production for a little while at least.

I would say that is now confirmed to be the case, although I don't want to say how I know. But clearly Model 3 RHD have been in production for a little while at least.
Yeah, agreed, there are enough popping up around the place to suggest that they've switched from LHD to RHD. I can't imagine they would be switching back and forth, so that would tend to suggest they've finished the initial LHD run and are now well into the RHD.

* I could be completely wrong on that, but I'm assuming that the changes to the production line to produce LHD vs RHD would be quite substantial, but who knows.

Surely the HR was better?

I am actually laughing reading this, it is so true of Adelaide drivers of which I was one and did exactly that, because it’s what everyone does. Now when I go back I really notice it and I soon slip back into doing it. I will be tailgating and on the horn in no time!
The HR was heaps good haha.

In Adelaide You can tell the people who have given up the tail gating game and they are the ones playing the exact opposite game.
What you do is sit back 4 car lengths from the next car and let everyone (including as many rat racers coming out of side streets) in front of you. People changing lanes, no problems, in you come. People who just rolled up to a t-intersection, be my guest. What’s that you are driving a bus? Here you go, the people behind me have no where to be…
This afternoon the car in front of me let 12 cars in front of him in a very slow moving 1km stretch of Marion road.
This makes people so mad they cut around and cut them off, but they don’t care, they just go slower.
The seasoned professionals at that game will piss people off right up to an orange light, then roll thru, making everyone behind them have to stop, or cause an accident and keep driving. Usually it’s courier drivers is my observation as they are on the phone.

The other Adelaide thing is to take your effing time when a traffic light goes green. Green… wait, put it in gear, change the radio station, look at a tree, check your hair, take off slowly, next car, slowly take off etc etc. the reaction time is so slow sometimes only 4-5 cars get thru on a change. When I was in Sydney if you did that someone would ram you off the road into a ditch and then get out and kick yo a$$.

Anyway, yes Adelaide is a lovely place to visit and live, we even have Sunday trading now!

Yeah, agreed, there are enough popping up around the place to suggest that they've switched from LHD to RHD. I can't imagine they would be switching back and forth, so that would tend to suggest they've finished the initial LHD run and are now well into the RHD.

* I could be completely wrong on that, but I'm assuming that the changes to the production line to produce LHD vs RHD would be quite substantial, but who knows.
And I guess it’s the second month of the quarter so hopefully they can get all of the markets serviced. I’m seeing so many countries getting deliveries in EU that I’ve never heard of haha but to be fair they have probs never heard of us either.

The way people talk about the lack of indicator stalks its like .... you can enter the roundabout but you cannot exit until you indicate.. like youll be trapped on it and someone is going to rappel out of a helicopter and tazer you if you dont indicate. Meh, hasnt happend in any other car so i doublt it in the new car hahaha.
Around here the fine to failing to indicate is $194 and two demerit points.
With a nice car like a Model 3, you don't want to give the police or insurers any reason to hassle you.

Around here the fine to failing to indicate is $194 and two demerit points.
With a nice car like a Model 3, you don't want to give the police or insurers any reason to hassle you.
And not just that, but I get absolutely fecked off when waiting patiently at a roundabout during busy times when you have to be quick to take advantage of any gaps and some nobhead just turns left before you without indicating and by the time you realise, the next car is coming. My biggest source of roadrage, I am looking forward to this Tesla ability to change the horn noise to one of me shouting a pretty nasty four letter word....

This is a decent review, he is clearly a bit of a fanboy, but he at least goes in-depth when it comes to the materials and build. The more people I see get inside this car the more I relaxed about making this decision.

And it does sometimes still feel like a pretty mad decision. A lot of money for a Chinese made sedan shaped go-kart, me three years ago would have pissed myself at anyone spending $70k on this. But I’m glad I made this mad decision more and more.