Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I'm debating registering as a 2024 model as that's when it will be registered (and it's cheaper). I haven't received the "Your car is an MY23.5" email that some people on here have had.
I got my email 1 month before my expected arrival period (which makes sense, as my insurance broker told me that quotes are usually valid for only 1 month)

Here is the extract from mine for reference, the email is pretty generic, so I'll assume it would be the same between Melbourne and Perth

In preparation for your Model 3 delivery, we kindly ask that you read the following instructions closely to ensure accuracy when applying for finance and insurance.

Your Model 3 is an MY23.5 variant; this can be identified on your final invoice, which will show a build date of September 2023 onwards and a model trim code of MT352. When completing your finance and/or insurance applications, please select the correct variant “MY23.5”.

If you have any enquiries or require assistance, please contact us on 1800 686 705.

To kill some time...

How to remove the rear shelf of a Model 3(2019):

Model 3 SR+ rear deck/shelf speakers replacement

A few parts need to be removed to be able to pull out the shelf.

I've done some sleuthing, and it looks like Tesla have made quite a few changes since then.

First of all, that 2019 Model 3 had a (removable) single wide speaker grille covering both speakers, which were integrated into the plastic rear shelf.

1705548811778.png

Newer Model 3s had individual speaker grilles, but the speakers were still integrated into the (very thick) plastic shelf.

shelfremoval1.jpg

And on Model 3 Highland it looks like the speakers are part of the metal deck underneath the plastic shelf.

Image from @Murphster drive.com.au with arrow pointing at the (hidden) centre tether point.

1705548882884.png

So that means the old plastic parts won't fit, but at least replacement doesn't involve disconnecting/reconnecting speaker cables, or (worse) moving speakers from the old shelf to the new shelf.

You can see some light coming through in the picture (circled), I assume its because the flap is opened.
It should be the one whole piece which comes out the top of the rear parcel shelf which is the tether point.

The question would be whether the middle one has the same, how hard the parcel shelf is and whether a simple boxcutter will be adequate enough to cut through it to install the flap.

1705549797181.png

Reactions: divstar
I got my email 1 month before my expected arrival period (which makes sense, as my insurance broker told me that quotes are usually valid for only 1 month)

Here is the extract from mine for reference, the email is pretty generic, so I'll assume it would be the same between Melbourne and Perth
My invoice does have the model trim number referenced MT352, although I never recieved this email.
To be honest I don't want to open a can of worms so will likely select MY23.5

You can see some light coming through in the picture (circled), I assume its because the flap is opened.
It should be the one whole piece which comes out the top of the rear parcel shelf which is the tether point.

The question would be whether the middle one has the same, how hard the parcel shelf is and whether a simple boxcutter will be adequate enough to cut through it to install the flap.
For what it is worth it feels very flimsy, it literally bounces when you touch it, as though it is floating above the metal shelf rather than fixed tightly to it. I think very thin, and probably just a piece of molded plastic covered in fabric. I will try and have a look later and see if I can see any exposed area of it.

For what it is worth it feels very flimsy, it literally bounces when you touch it, as though it is floating above the metal shelf rather than fixed tightly to it. I think very thin, and probably just a piece of molded plastic covered in fabric. I will try and have a look later and see if I can see any exposed area of it.
Intersting!
Being that the tether point appears to be there, just covered up might be a good sign :)
If the tether point wasnt there at all, probably a different kettle of fish...

I agree with you. It's plastic covered with a very thin fabric.

I don't think a whole shelf replacement is possible, not in the short term anyways. It would require a new mould to be designed, built and tested first in order for this part be manufactured with a centre hole matching the fit/finish/contours of the left/right ones (at least for aesthetics purposes) because those plastic flaps would fit and click into the shelf opening.

I'll speculate a 2 phase approach:

Phase 1: Remedial Repair to conform to the ADR standards (Recall #1), then resume business.
Phase 2: Replace the whole shelf when an appropriate replacement part has been made available (Recall #2) and fitted during the customers next scheduled service.

I don't think a whole shelf replacement is possible, not in the short term anyways. It would require a new mould to be designed, built and tested first in order for this part be manufactured with a centre hole matching the fit/finish/contours of the left/right ones (at least for aesthetics purposes) because those plastic flaps would fit and click into the shelf opening.

I'll speculate a 2 phase approach:

Phase 1: Remedial Repair to conform to the ADR standards (Recall #1), then resume business.
Phase 2: Replace the whole shelf when an appropriate replacement part has been made available (Recall #2) and fitted during the customers next scheduled service.
Or someone in shanghai is standing in front of a rack full of RHD parcel shelves made for the RHD cars wondering why they are still there, scratching their head looking out the window at ships sailing off to distant lands…. Haha