Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That makes sense. A used full size wheel is much better than a space saver. And you don't have to take it with you all the time.

I was thinking about a compact trolley jack when some thing special comes on repco or supercheap. Is it hard to maintain a trolley jack compared to normal scissor cut jack?
I normally borrow a wheel from work and get a ‘scrap’ tyre fitted before my holidays. I don’t like driving with space savers.

I’d suggest a small bottle jack compared to a scissor jack in your case. Compact and can hold more weight. The down side is that you’ll have to pump it 50 times compared to 7 pumps with a professional trolley jack. Maintenance, it’s advised to replace hydraulic fluid every 2 years and inspect monthly for fluid leaks. But our tyre boys use their trolley jacks daily and we haven’t seen one leak oil yet. But, a scissor jack has 0 maintenance. On the downside they are extremely dangerous if not placed/used properly.

Reactions: jeevas123
One word; don’t. Get a good old bottle jack, it’s cheaper, more reliable than one of those things, and the small workout is well worth it.
something like this? Hydraulic Bottle Jack 1,850kg

If the entire car weighs 1.8T is this jack OK to use for one corner of the car?

1705823794629.png

I normally borrow a wheel from work and get a ‘scrap’ tyre fitted before my holidays. I don’t like driving with space savers.

I’d suggest a small bottle jack compared to a scissor jack in your case. Compact and can hold more weight. The down side is that you’ll have to pump it 50 times compared to 7 pumps with a professional trolley jack. Maintenance, it’s advised to replace hydraulic fluid every 2 years and inspect monthly for fluid leaks. But our tyre boys use their trolley jacks daily and we haven’t seen one leak oil yet. But, a scissor jack has 0 maintenance. On the downside they are extremely dangerous if not placed/used properly.
Totally agree. Scissor jack always gives goosebumps for free.

something like this? Hydraulic Bottle Jack 1,850kg

If the entire car weighs 1.8T is this jack OK to use for one corner of the car?

1705823794629.png
Get the 4 ton. For extra $15. Technically this should be enough. Because the car will still be supported by 2 if not 3 wheels. The problem with bottle jacks is that they are a bit tall compared to low profile trolley jacks. I can’t tell you if a 4T will surely fit under the M3H with jacking pucks installed. I will confirm that when I receive my car.

Edit: it will not fit.

Last edited:
Once I was informed that the my car had arrived in Australia, I went to Freo port and registered this beauties. My delivery date is still from 21st January... It's is such a lose lose scenario keeping these in a warehouse. Everybody loses, I hope some common sense prevails and cars on the country are delivered and "fixed" at a latter date.

Let's hope there are no severe hailstorms from now until they get moved under cover 😬

So I just looked up how much ground clearance the new M3H has and(assuming that data is correct) it’s not much at 140mil. Most bottle jacks are taller than that. Not to forget you need pucks for jacking points.

I just measured my current car and it’s ~180 at the rear and about ~170 at the front lifting point.

I know some Toyotas(at least our work utes do) come with mechanical bottle jacks which you wind by hand like a scissor jack. And they are quite compact. I know that one definitely fits under my car. But I don’t know if it’s shorter than 140mm. I can measure this tomorrow if you’d like.

Get the 4 ton. For extra $15. Technically this should be enough. Because the car will still be supported by 2 if not 3 wheels. The problem with bottle jacks is that they are a bit tall compared to low profile trolley jacks. I can’t tell you if a 4T will surely fit under the M3H with jacking pucks installed. I will confirm that when I receive my car.

Edit: it will not fit.
Thanks for checking, I will shop around for a trolley jack instead.

So I just looked up how much ground clearance the new M3H has and(assuming that data is correct) it’s not much at 140mil. Most bottle jacks are taller than that. Not to forget you need pucks for jacking points.

I just measured my current car and it’s ~180 at the rear and about ~170 at the front lifting point.

I know some Toyotas(at least our work utes do) come with mechanical bottle jacks which you wind by hand like a scissor jack. And they are quite compact. I know that one definitely fits under my car. But I don’t know if it’s shorter than 140mm. I can measure this tomorrow if you’d like.
Thanks for checking. 👍

Another mind bender:

If we are not going to subscribe to premium connectivity what is going to happen with the Sim card for LTE connectivity?

Will it ship with one if we don't subcribe?

Who is the MVNO for tesla simcard?

Can we remove the sim card easily ?

Attachments

• tesla-hw4-pcb-1.jpg
    tesla-hw4-pcb-1.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 21
Another mind bender:

If we are not going to subscribe to premium connectivity what is going to happen with the Sim card for LTE connectivity?

I think my order agreement (or something else) said that it comes with standard connectivity for 8 years. Standard connectivity relies on LTE. I doubt you can change SIM cards. But you can buy premium after 8 years. You can subscribe to it whenever you like. It’s billed monthly.

You can also use your mobile hotspot to gain some premium connectivity features like media. But not sat maps and live traffic. Live weather; I have no idea.

The actual problem is the weight.

Scissor jack - approx 4-5kg?
Bottle jack - approx 8-12kg?
and then

Trolley jack - 45-60 kg??
Yes, unless you want to get a fancy professional one which can get really expensive really fast. Right now after measuring stuff my biggest doubt is clearance. Guess I will have to wait and see until I have my hands on the new car.

Would have thought choosing premium connectivity comes later therefore all cars are equipped with the ability to have it enabled.
I too think so. But will it be always connected and active for non-premium subscribed cars?

I think it works bit differently.

Got some answers from here:

It is essentially a private network connected to Tesla corp and then any internet access is gated through their proxy.

Tesla may be using Optus or Telstra for Layer 2 or multiple vendors even.

Reactions: edy80y
Another mind bender:

From what ive picked up the teslas shipped to Au have 2x esim. The standard connectivity uses one and the premium the other.
The providor is Telstra.