Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
September 29. I'm in the middle of the pack for the GC waiting period. Some people ordered in early August.

I just couldn't bear going back to scratch and the beginning of the queue again. Especially since I'm now paying off this damn car without even having it.
Fair enough. I only ordered 3 weeks ago at this satge so i'm still weel within reasonable timeframe.

its funny huh, when i bought my last car i was washing it weekly, polishing it, paranoid about everything. Then after a while you just drive it, look after it, but accept that it will be dirty from time to time (or always).
Haha yep. The point at which I stopped caring about this stuff is when we had kids. It's just a material possession - use it in whichever way suits your lifestyle. Way more important things to worry about.

(like the GPS location of certain vehicle carriers, for example)...

• Funny
Reactions: MrMister and dronus
September 29. I'm in the middle of the pack for the GC waiting period. Some people ordered in early August.

I just couldn't bear going back to scratch and the beginning of the queue again. Especially since I'm now paying off this damn car without even having it.
We ordered on the same day!

wait - you did NL right? so have you already started salary sacrificing? Does this sound right?

My NL company (LeasePlan) has paid Tesla, but my contract hasn't yet started - which is pending delivery.. so no payments from my side yet.

Pay in cash. People opt for a novated lease primarily when interest rates are elevated.
Not sure I follow - I did a lot of number crunching and NL was by far the cheapest way to buy the car for us. but interest rates had little to do with it.

The most obvious reason was the FBT free status specifically for EV's - which is a big saving when compared to doing NL for a ICE.
then obviously the GST saving on car + running costs (but only for the term of the loan)
then the saving from your marginal tax rate as it reduces your pre-tax income.

but obviusly NL may not work for everyone and you really need to get into the weeds to see if right for you.

The Tesla rep i spoke to when ordering said 75% of their tesla sales are via NL...... if true, I think the main reason is the no FBT rule as that's a big saving.

We could have payed in cash, but when you factor in the homeloan interest rate offset that you're missing out on, it didn't make much sense for us.

We ordered on the same day!

wait - you did NL right? so have you already started salary sacrificing? Does this sound right?

My NL company (LeasePlan) has paid Tesla, but my contract hasn't yet started - which is pending delivery.. so no payments from my side yet.
I’m with LeasePlan and I just send them the updated EDD and they update the start date of the NL to the last day of the EDD so I have not started paying for it yet as well.

At the moment NL is 100% Pre Tax for EV, I don't remember what the Requirement was for the 100% Pre Tax but i believe it could be full EV.

So unless your retired and have $70k+ Laying around so you can afford to pay cash NL makes a Hugh Difference to the cost of ownership
I have ordered a Silver MY $69819, for which I'll pay in cash. After a $3000 rebate, the total cost comes to about $66,819. Would the NL even be cheaper than this?

I have ordered a Silver MY $69819, for which I'll pay in cash. After a $3000 rebate, the total cost comes to about $66,819. Would the NL even be cheaper than this?
Calculated to approximately $62k for the vehicle on NL just paying the finance portion of the repayments and including GST on the final residual value. If you have a $3k gov grant, then its $59k. In SA so thats why I signed up.

Highly dependent on your income and other financial factors, but I think yes when you consider the total cost of ownership.

Like I mentioned earlier, I did the numbers for my personal situation, and if I pay the residual after 3 years, the total cost of ownerhip up until that point would be roughly 15k cheaper at least (not even considering the home loan offset that I would save by not paying cash)..

do with this as you will - and do not take it as financial advice.

Reactions: onmyway and Jules22
you need to consider that getting it by NL, you don't need to pay Insurance, rego & other maintenance-related (tires, etc) items post tax. I can even charge back the cost of charging my car using paid public charging stations.

Reactions: onmyway and Jules22
Highly dependent on your income and other financial factors, but I think yes when you consider the total cost of ownership.

Like I mentioned earlier, I did the numbers for my personal situation, and if I pay the residual after 3 years, the total cost of ownerhip up until that point would be roughly 15k cheaper at least (not even considering the home loan offset that I would save by not paying cash)..

do with this as you will - and do not take it as financial advice.
Yep, my last vehicle was also on a NL, and worked out more than 10k cheaper, with the FBT benefit, it was an absolute no brainer for the Tesla.

Reactions: thecasualplaya
This info was sent to me by a friend. The source he mentioned was an article on cleantechnica.com.
sources for courses I supposed, and depends on whether they are reporting deliveries or sales..

This article says model Y will finish top 5 in aus (and 1 in EU!!) in terms of sales:

I doubt the tesla buyer right now is acutely aware of the GC dilemma to the point that it affects their decision to buy....

Yep, that's always the issue with comparing Tesla to other makers.

Other makers count sales numbers as soon as the car is sitting in a car yard/holding lot.

Because Tesla is direct to customer, it only counts as a sale once the customer receives the car.

That's a big reason the legacy auto makers sales figures don't look quite as horrible as they really are.

Considering the car is GST free there's 10% straight away, then all costs: electircity, insurance etc is pre tax so up to a 45% saving on running cost. This particualr deal for EV's under the LCT especially if you creep into the higher tax brackets is exceptionally good at the moment.