Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe this will make slight different to DAFF decision maker? Something that can make it slight better?
IMG_2934.jpeg

A friend of mine works in the short term money market. I was complaining about the whole GC mess when I said the car is paid for (Model Y RWD) (at least the lease company has). He asked how much and I said about $70k. He asked how many cars had been paid for and I said I did not know. So he said if 100 cars had been paid for that's $7 million. Tesla would not have to pay for the cars because they have not delivered and if they invested the money with his firm they could earn about between $20k and $30k a day without much risk, more if they knew the money would be available for longer. I wonder if Tesla has made money from cars that have been paid for and not delivered?

It seems to me that they probably have a fund that they could use to compensate the customers that have been so poorly treated. Not likely to happen is it?

A friend of mine works in the short term money market. I was complaining about the whole GC mess when I said the car is paid for (Model Y RWD) (at least the lease company has). He asked how much and I said about $70k. He asked how many cars had been paid for and I said I did not know. So he said if 100 cars had been paid for that's $7 million. Tesla would not have to pay for the cars because they have not delivered and if they invested the money with his firm they could earn about between $20k and $30k a day without much risk, more if they knew the money would be available for longer. I wonder if Tesla has made money from cars that have been paid for and not delivered?

It seems to me that they probably have a fund that they could use to compensate the customers that have been so poorly treated. Not likely to happen is it?
Tesla have not paid for the cars?

He realises Tesla is a maker not a dealer right?

If I don’t have the vehicle before the end of the year I’ll be canceling. My experience with Tesla this far has been nothing short of abysmal.
Given that there are 21 days left in the year (including Public Holidays), you may as well cancel now.
Brisbane "might" get their cars delivered but I don't think there is a chance that Sydney will.

If mine gets delivered in Melb before EOY, I'm draining my bank account and buying lottery tickets.

Reactions: thecasualplaya
If I don’t have the vehicle before the end of the year I’ll be canceling. My experience with Tesla this far has been nothing short of abysmal.
I was in a similar position in the lead-up to June 30. In retrospect, I should have cancelled. If you are leaning towards cancelling, you probably should. Tesla have not been good to deal with, and the car underperforms compared to the marketing. There are other choices available now

Reactions: thecasualplaya

$30k a day x 365 days is nearly $11 million a year from a $7 million investment. Is your friend suggesting they can deliver in the range of 150% return over a year? That would be a bit special.

Sorry that was a error on my part the figure he gave was $2k to $3k. Also as I understand it Tesla Australia is not a manufacture and transfers the car payment off shore when the car is delivered. That way they pay less tax. Dont know much about money markets other then he drives a new Bentley
No worries. Plenty of people who don't know anything about money lease expensive cars that they can't really afford. Either way, Tesla Australia and/or the parent company would no doubt benefit from holding the money. Probably not enough to justify the reputational damage when their deliveries are excessively delayed.

Long time lurker with a Y on order since August.

FWIW - I spoke with the terminal late last week (I work in intl' logistics and we use them as a vendor for project cargo) and they said that they are waiting on instructions from the shipping line as to when they want a berth. I'll liaise with them again early next week and will keep you all updated if anything changes but if you believe what they say the hold up isn't with the terminal.

In my opinion, I think it's either still under quarantine direction from DAFF (though strange it's taking so long) or there could potentially be a dispute between ship owner and the cargo owners as to who is going to foot the bill for vessel detention while the GC has been waiting to discharge and the ship owner is delaying until settled (vessel demurrage/detention if you're interested). I'm hoping the latter is the more unlikely of the two as in my experience with bulk vessels (coal etc.) this is usually calculated and agreed after the fact - here's to hoping car carriers are the same.
Bumping this as I was new to the forum when I posted it and seems relevant to current conversation. I will contact the terminal again today and will update.

I was in a Tesla showroom yesterday (my partner is looking at also getting a Tesla) and when I mentioned I already had one on order and it was on a certain vessel that shall not be named the Tesla guys immediately went into "the damn Glovis, so sorry for you" mode but they were great and now I am looking at cancelling my Y and switching into a 3 just because I have to be in a car by January 8 for work reasons. Anyway, as we were walking out I overheard the another couple ask how long it would be until delivery if they ordered a car now and the Tesla rep was saying "December/January although there is a small biosecurity issue with the vessel carrying most of the stock so there may be further delays". I couldn't help but smile and quietly curse the damn Glovis.

Reactions: Jules22
Dude it's Dec 11, and the ship is still off the coast of Brisbane with no confirmed movement date. There is no way you're getting it this year. If you're serious about cancelling, then you may be better off doing it now to rejoin the queue earlier (if that's even how it works) 🤷‍♂️.