Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally saw a couple of other Ys around Perth...a white one at Bailey Brewing on Friday evening (I parked next to it and turned Sentry on, the driver of the other Y and her friend had a laugh when they returned), and saw another in white at Perth Airport T1 yesterday when picking up family.
I've seen quite a few white ones, a couple blue, a black and a MSM but no red... so far!

Seeing so many more teslas around on the streets ..... wouldn't be surprised if the 3 becomes the corolla of the EV world 😆

So how did they get a MYP? Is there some story behind it?
It was built in Nov 2020 to be a 2021 model, it's one of those 3 models that came into the country a while ago that were part of this Video

Attachments

• 1663556347048.png
    1663556347048.png
    45.4 KB · Views: 90
Looks like they may have been originally destined for Australia but had to go back for whatever reason ( most likely the delay in initial Y release for Aus )
They originally came out for the final certification / government paper work, and whilst out they took the opportunity to get the press to provide some free media.
I'm fairly certain that it was Vedaprime who found them in AU and then tracked their departure.

Reactions: alliwantisaY
I finally saw a couple of other Ys around Perth...a white one at Bailey Brewing on Friday evening (I parked next to it and turned Sentry on, the driver of the other Y and her friend had a laugh when they returned), and saw another in white at Perth Airport T1 yesterday when picking up family.
Saw a blue Y on Baldivis Road in PERTH on Sunday afternoon about 2.45pm. Stunning

Hopefully you'll change to BOOKED soon.
I did notice with the first ship of cars that was produced, that older order time (first day) from WA were produced and put on ship compared to other states. The group consensus that it was due to WA cars taking much longer to get to delivery destination with a transcontinental ship required so they were put on first ship to give them a chance of being given to customers before the end of the quarter.
I'm in Perth so that might be why I'm showing as BOOKED and some very early times are still showing as ORDER_PLACED but it's still very early days and just something to keep an eye on. BTW there are other Perth MYP orders which were ordered in first few minutes still showing as ORDER_PLACED.
What is booked means without VIN and no EDD?
Does it mean that VIN can be assigned next quarter ?

I think we shouldn’t judge. A very small number of people might have bought their Model Y with the express intent of flipping at a profit. A risky business but lawful. A small number of people might have bought with the intention to hold on to it, but with EV wait times blowing out, have been opportunistic and think if they can sell at a profit why not.

And then some people might have simply changed their minds for whatever reason, or had a serious or tragic change in their life circumstances and need to sell.

Hence the not leaping to judgment.
I have this precise decision to make. I took delivery of M3LR in Aug22 and love it. Yet also placed an order for a MYP in June with intention to either buy it and give the M3 to my wife, or sell the M3 after about 9 months.

Now I believe that neither of these will happen, I will likely keep the M3 and sell the MYP.
Why? Well a couple of home truths need to be understood first.

• Tesla announced the MY with little warning and pretty much halfway between me ordering and taking delivery of the M3.
  • They happily took my order for a mere $350 deposit with zero opportunity for a refund. It's theres for good. (At the time of ordering, I didnt hear them squealing about me potentially being able to sell it for a profit)
  • They did so, as I did too, without having even seen the car, nor test driven it like many of us did. Just youtube videos and reviews. I didnt even have the M3 yet either. So all in all a leap of faith on my behalf. One that Tesla gave no argument against. Granted 'eyes wide open' agreement.
  • As of today, I still havent test driven one as every time I ask my local 'showroom' they say they are yet to receive a Performance model for test drives.
  • ... and I am now not even sure I want the performance.
  • The unknowns for me are: 1. Do I really need all that 'P' speed. 2. Is it really as stiff a ride as they say (Test drive would help! did I mention that yet?) and 3. Do I really need the extra $27,500 expense over the M3 I have which I am ecstatic about even 1 month in?
  • ... oh and last but not least, my wife is not showing signs of wanting one, at least not yet. I even offered to stay in the M3 and she takes the MYP. Still no deal.

So I propose, definitely not "Opportunistic". Just circumstances.

1. Would you begrudge me if I 'flipped it'?
2. Should I just keep the MYP? (does anyone have one yet? Tesla tell me no deliveries have been made yet)

Footnote: The price of MYP has gone up by about $3k since I ordered, yet a few articles propose they will come down in price significantly once the new battery is adopted. So no guarantees there is a profit to be made here come Feb23 when my MY is slated for delivery!

.... and the kicker...... At my local Tesla Showroom, one of the staff who has an MY on order just sold their newly delivered M3 for a tidy little profit.
Has no qualms in saying so either. So it seems it is not just us public doing it. Mr Musks loyal staff seem to be on the gig as well.

Last edited:
I have this precise decision to make. I took delivery of M3LR in Aug22 and love it. Yet also placed an order for a MYP in June with intention to either buy it and give the M3 to my wife, or sell the M3 after about 9 months.

Now I believe that neither of these will happen, I will likely keep the M3 and sell the MYP.
Why? Well a couple of home truths need to be understood first.

• Tesla announced the MY with little warning and pretty much halfway between me ordering and taking delivery of the M3.
  • They happily took my order for a mere $350 deposit with zero opportunity for a refund. It's theres for good. (At the time of ordering, I didnt hear them squealing about me potentially being able to sell it for a profit)
  • They did so, as I did too, without having even seen the car, nor test driven it like many of us did. Just youtube videos and reviews. I didnt even have the M3 yet either. So all in all a leap of faith on my behalf. One that Tesla gave no argument against. Granted 'eyes wide open' agreement.
  • As of today, I still havent test driven one as every time I ask my local 'showroom' they say they are yet to receive a Performance model for test drives.
  • ... and I am now not even sure I want the performance.
  • The unknowns for me are: 1. Do I really need all that 'P' speed. 2. Is it really as stiff a ride as they say (Test drive would help! did I mention that yet?) and 3. Do I really need the extra $27,500 expense over the M3 I have which I am ecstatic about even 1 month in?
  • ... oh and last but not least, my wife is not showing signs of wanting one, at least not yet. I even offered to stay in the M3 and she takes the MYP. Still no deal.

So I propose, definitely not "Opportunistic". Just circumstances.

1. Would you begrudge me if I 'flipped it'?
2. Should I just keep the MYP? (does anyone have one yet? Tesla tell me no deliveries have been made yet)

Footnote: The price of MYP has gone up by about $3k since I ordered, yet a few articles propose they will come down in price significantly once the new battery is adopted. So no guarantees there is a profit to be made here come Feb23 when my MY is slated for delivery!

.... and the kicker...... At my local Tesla Showroom, one of the staff who has an MY on order just sold their newly delivered M3 for a tidy little profit.
Has no qualms in saying so either. So it seems it is not just us public doing it. Mr Musks loyal staff seem to be on the gig as well.
IMO, it's completely up to you what you choose to do with the car you ordered. As you say, dealing with Tesla often does involve a big leap of faith, and if at the end of it, you decide the car doesn't tick all your boxes, then I see no problem with selling it.

Do what's right for yourself and the Mrs, whatever that may be.

As a side note, I'm super glad to hear you're thrilled with the M3 LR. I recently got an EDD window for the Y I ordered, but circumstances have changed and I will only be getting one of the cars. I am now seriously debating which model I actually want, and I think the 3 is winning...

Reactions: pts260 and RobM3MY
Ordered MY RWD with the only upgrade being the red colour. Estimated delivery date is Feb-May 2023. Long wait ahead.
Welcome to Team #Red. I pick mine up tomorrow.

May I suggest in the meantime you do some reading of the forums as there are plenty of good advice and tips sprinkled through them. Another good resource/forum is whirlpool.net.au. go to Discussion Forum | Automotive | then sort/group by Tesla. This last item is a little box near the top of the forum page.

There are several Facebook pages. Although I tend to watch what I post/like as I don't want to upset the anti EV amongst my "friends" YMMV. youtube is also another great resource, however you need to understand the US centric nuances verses the AU vehicles, that are Made In China (MIC) .

Accessories, don't go berserk too soon. I know it's tempting; Tesla has a habit of "changes without notice". Do your research as the quality and price vary heaps out there. Freight is the thing you really need to watch, especially on AliExpress.

One last thing, install the tesla app on your mobiles. keep an eye on the delivery date. Tesla has another habit of under promising and over deliver, especially when it comes to delivery. So get your finance research worked out.

Have fun.

Welcome to Team #Red. I pick mine up tomorrow.

May I suggest in the meantime you do some reading of the forums as there are plenty of good advice and tips sprinkled through them. Another good resource/forum is whirlpool.net.au. go to Discussion Forum | Automotive | then sort/group by Tesla. This last item is a little box near the top of the forum page.

There are several Facebook pages. Although I tend to watch what I post/like as I don't want to upset the anti EV amongst my "friends" YMMV. youtube is also another great resource, however you need to understand the US centric nuances verses the AU vehicles, that are Made In China (MIC) .

Accessories, don't go berserk too soon. I know it's tempting; Tesla has a habit of "changes without notice". Do your research as the quality and price vary heaps out there. Freight is the thing you really need to watch, especially on AliExpress.

One last thing, install the tesla app on your mobiles. keep an eye on the delivery date. Tesla has another habit of under promising and over deliver, especially when it comes to delivery. So get your finance research worked out.

Have fun.
Hey @unharmed, any chance that you could post some photos of your red Y after pickup? I'd really appreciate it!
Am seriously thinking about changing the colour of my ordered Y .....