Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How much have you been quoted for the install of the charger? Every sparkie I have spoken to have quoted $1k for the install (20m cable run, easy access)
$1K seems steep. My sparky installed my Gen 3 wall connector on 3 Phase for $635 but was only 2 Meters from the meter box. This included an isolation switch, cabling, conduit and dedicated 25 Amp safety Switch. Only $267 of that was labour, he charges $10 per meter for running 3 phase cable.

$1K seems steep. My sparky installed my Gen 3 wall connector on 3 Phase for $635 but was only 2 Meters from the meter box. This included an isolation switch, cabling, conduit and dedicated 25 Amp safety Switch. Only $267 of that was labour, he charges $10 per meter for running 3 phase cable.
So if you $200 for the 20m of cabling that the other poster needs, that'd bring your quote up to $835 which is in the ballpark of $1k. Seems about right to me.

I installed mine myself (i'm a registered Electrician) easy install 32 amp single phase and also put in a dedicated 15amp socket for good measure took about 3 hours inc testing and comissioning and $150 in parts.
Hardest part was getting the screws in the wall box to Gen 3 back plate!

Attachments

• Gen 3 install 1.jpg
    Gen 3 install 1.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Gen 3 install 2 .jpg
    Gen 3 install 2 .jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 40
I installed mine myself (i'm a registered Electrician) easy install 32 amp single phase and also put in a dedicated 15amp socket for good measure took about 3 hours inc testing and comissioning and $150 in parts.
Hardest part was getting the screws in the wall box to Gen 3 back plate!
This could be your new gig since lot of tesla's are coming onto roads and lot more installations. Just out of curiosity do you need to run new cable from fuse box or you can reuse existing wiring

How much have you been quoted for the install of the charger? Every sparkie I have spoken to have quoted $1k for the install (20m cable run, easy access)
I got a number of different quotes in Sydney as I wasn't sure which direction I wanted to go.

$700 for wall charger install and 32amp single phase circuit. No wire run as I had this provisioned during house build.

$1400 for wall charger install, 3 phase upgrade of meter box, new meter (lines from street already run), 32 amp 3phase circuit. Also no wire run required.

I went with the 2nd option as I occasionally require a full recharge overnight and it would useful to add serious kms on quickly if needed, overkill for now but I'm future proofed if cars ever support 22kw charging.

I got a number of different quotes in Sydney as I wasn't sure which direction I wanted to go.

$700 for wall charger install and 32amp single phase circuit. No wire run as I had this provisioned during house build.

$1400 for wall charger install, 3 phase upgrade of meter box, new meter (lines from street already run), 32 amp 3phase circuit. Also no wire run required.

I went with the 2nd option as I occasionally require a full recharge overnight and it would useful to add serious kms on quickly if needed, overkill for now but I'm future proofed if cars ever support 22kw charging.
Upgrading to 3 Phase and installation of the wall connector for $1400 isn't bad. That's a lot of re-wiring to do.

$1400 for wall charger install, 3 phase upgrade of meter box, new meter (lines from street already run), 32 amp 3 phase circuit.
I am now looking at this option as well. I have received two quotes with ~$1300 to just install the charger (single phase) inside our garage in a double storey home. If I am on a spending spree to future proof my house then it is worth looking into this option.

Afternoon all, EDD changed from 30 AUG - 30th to AUG 13-AUG 27th
So I’m happy with that. Although still no rego or final invoice to be seen. (Anyone Else in the same boat)???

Im assuming the Model Y is pretty much already in AUS on one of the boats and will take a week or 2 to clear customs and transported.

Not sure how much cost is in this, but I already had the 3 phase wiring from the street and 3 fuses in the meter board. Meter and switchboard all single phase though.
That explains the quote. Someone just quoted me a rough estimate of $4000-$5000 for a Single phase to three phase changeover. Cost includes laying new conduit to the pit, digging , upgrading wiring for the whole house...I have now given up on this.

Reactions: Blaq
Afternoon all, EDD changed from 30 AUG - 30th to AUG 13-AUG 27th
So I’m happy with that. Although still no rego or final invoice to be seen. (Anyone Else in the same boat)???

Im assuming the Model Y is pretty much already in AUS on one of the boats and will take a week or 2 to clear customs and transported.
Mine changed late last week from 25/8-5/9 to 13/8-25/8 as well. Pickup from Brisbane. Not sure what ship it’s on but my guess is Viking Passama currently on route from Shanghai.