Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You should have an email from "Tesla Motors", subject "Thank you for your order" - the timestamp on that is as good as any.

That said there have been a couple of examples over in the Model 3 waiting room of the "queue" not necessarily being first come first served.
Thanks Maximillan, My email came a day after on 11th June around 7am, But I found a SMS from Tesla "Welcome to Tesla Family..." ordered on 10 Jun 22 @ 1146 Hours.

Is it a good idea to install a charger now or shall I wait for my VIN?? I guess after VIN is allotted it takes around 4-6 weeks for the Car to deliver 🤔.

I decided to get the charger now and I don't even have a VIN. Main reason was "why not?" coupled with me having an electrician over anyways for unrelated work.

Some say that if there was a flood of new cars, the charger might become low on stock and there could be wait times. Not sure how likely that scenario is though.

Reactions: Maximillan
I may do this too. I'm going "tight @$$" option though. 32amp single phase with the adapter for the stock mobile charger
I 100% was going to go down this route but have decided to get a Gen3 instead. My charge point was going to be installed outside (undercover) but not completely waterproof and just felt like the wall charger was going to be a better outdoor permanent option. It also isnt significantly (IMO) more expensive to go the wall charger over the 5pin 32a

Reactions: cafz
I 100% was going to go down this route but have decided to get a Gen3 instead. My charge point was going to be installed outside (undercover) but not completely waterproof and just felt like the wall charger was going to be a better outdoor permanent option. It also isnt significantly (IMO) more expensive to go the wall charger over the 5pin 32a
Agree with your thoughts. I'm going three pin 32A. It will be under shelter. I still need electrician to come in and have a proper look as I have solar panels as well. If I can get three phase easily and cost-effectively from the solar panels then I'll look into a wall charger. I was going to get the single and three phase 32 amp adapters Either way to keep them in the car.

If I can get three phase easily and cost-effectively from the solar panels

Unless you're off-grid the solar panels shouldn't be a consideration

Because of "net-metering" you can export from two phases and import on one phase (three phase solar & single phase charging) or export on one phase and import on the other two phases (single phase solar & three phase charging) and your power meter will add & subtract the values appropriately and bill you / pay you for the difference.

So if you've got three phase at the switchboard and you're running a new power cable to the garage anyway, you might as well go three-phase, since you're paying for labour (the bulk of the cost) either way.

Reactions: singo79 and cafz
Unless you're off-grid the solar panels shouldn't be a consideration

Because of "net-metering" you can export from two phases and import on one phase (three phase solar & single phase charging) or export on one phase and import on the other two phases (single phase solar & three phase charging) and your power meter will add & subtract the values appropriately and bill you / pay you for the difference.

So if you've got three phase at the switchboard and you're running a new power cable to the garage anyway, you might as well go three-phase, since you're paying for labour (the bulk of the cost) either way.
Thanks for that. Good to know. My solar is the original solar that basically pumps it back into the grid. And I think the house is single phase in. If it's three phase, I'll definitely go that way. I need an electrician who had done this before.

I decided to get the charger now and I don't even have a VIN. Main reason was "why not?" coupled with me having an electrician over anyways for unrelated work.

Some say that if there was a flood of new cars, the charger might become low on stock and there could be wait times. Not sure how likely that scenario is though.
To add to this, the Gen3 charger has over the past year been frequently listed as out of stock.

Reactions: skyworxx