Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Won't affect my purchase decision too much, but I am trying to evaluate what I get out of the extra 13k I will be paying
you just need to ask yourselves these questions
1) do you need awd?
2) do you need extra range?
3) do you want slightly better acceleration?

If the answers first two is yes, your mind will rationalise paying $13k more if your pocket is willing. Acceleration is just a bonus. My 2c

Reactions: shadab
Help Wanted!!!
It's very tempting to move from a SR Model Y to a Long Range. But the 13K price hike seems a bit high.

For the 13K you get different battery chemistry and longer range battery, plus an extra motor up the front.
I think real world range difference is less than 80K as one battery charged to 80% the other 100%.
All wheel drive, and slightly faster 0-100 sounds tempting. But still sitting on the fence...Are there any advantages to the LR I am missing? I guess charging speed is a bit quicker with the battery chemistry? Seeking folks thoughts as whether to go one way or the other??
The car will be novated leased over 3 year period. So other consideration would be resale value, / or usefulness of the car if I keep it for say 10 years.
I got the impression that the charging speed is faster in the MYLR and MYP (assuming you find a fast enough charger). That is more important than the total range, in my view. I've attached a charging curve someone posted showing their (overseas) MYLR charging on a 250kW charger. It's faster than a MYRWD, which charges at no more than 170kW.

Note that you can absolutely charge to 100% before a long trip. It's just your every day charging that should be limited to 80-90%. Usually, you will only DC charge to less than 80% because charging speed drops off heavily above that.

I like the idea of the AWD and some faster DC charging, but it is not worth it for me to pay the extra. I'm hoping all of these people switching to the MYLR means my MYRWD will be delivered sooner :)

As to the value over 10 years, I believe the LFP battery in the RWD will degenerate more slowly. Whether Tesla's last well is anyone's guess. Will we have broken door handles, worn out suspension, dead aircon? No idea, but our plan is to keep the car for the long term (7-10 years) if we can. By then, we should have EV's and chargers that can add range really quickly, and there'll be plenty of them, and buying an EV will seem like the obvious choice for most people.

Attachments

• ZzFtg0.png
    ZzFtg0.png
    230.7 KB · Views: 83
I keep hearing people saying you have to be on a novated lease to benefit from the FBT exemption. For people who own a Pty Ltd business, the business can buy the car and provide it for the use of the owner, an employee or their family without incurring FBT. No logbook needed.
This is written by a random internet person and does not constitute financial advice. But you might want to talk to your accountant if you think this might apply to you.

For people who own a Pty Ltd business
For the person with an ABN running a sole trader business the answer is no - the sole trader is not an employee and therefore no FBT is payable for anything. However the sole trader will have to keep a logbook and apportion business and private use - even for EV which are under LCT ceiling.

But if the sole trader employs a family member to say do the billing, the sole trader can provide a vehicle for the employee. And in that case FBT is usually payable for non business use - except if the vehicle provided is an EV under to LCT limit, then no FBT is payable

A novated lease is not even needed when an employer provides the vehicle to the employee as part of a salary sacrifice arrangement

All wheel drive, and slightly faster 0-100 sounds tempting. But still sitting on the fence...Are there any advantages to the LR I am missing? I guess charging speed is a bit quicker with the battery chemistry? Seeking folks thoughts as whether to go one way or the other??
The car will be novated leased over 3 year period. So other consideration would be resale value, / or usefulness of the car if I keep it for say 10 years.
The LR / P also has a longer distance warranty on the battery and drive train (192,000 km versus 160,000 km for the RWD).

It also fast charges faster (can max out a V3 Supercharger at 250kW).

Reactions: Quickst
I wonder if the lower warranty for the RWD LFP battery is because it requires more frequent charging to 100% in order that the battery management system can calculate a more accurate range?
No, because the lower warranty was the same for the SR+ as well which used the same chemistry as the LR and P. I believe it's because the same number of kilometres requires more battery cycles with the smaller battery.

• Informative
Reactions: Quickst
Help Wanted!!!
It's very tempting to move from a SR Model Y to a Long Range. But the 13K price hike seems a bit high.

For the 13K you get different battery chemistry and longer range battery, plus an extra motor up the front.
I think real world range difference is less than 80K as one battery charged to 80% the other 100%.
watch this video to get your answer

It's nothing to do with China, the Shanghai factory has been making cars without ultrasonic sensors for the UK and Europe for about 6 months so they're capable of removing them for our market too if they want to. But we will get plenty of notice before it happens.

In Australia? That seems very unlikely.

Either someone confused the ultrasonics with radar (which was removed before the Model Y was released in Australia) or someone is trolling.

Pic attached of a M3 in VIC without the USS. Can't find the original thread for a bigger version, only have the phone screenshot.

I know that Model S/X that just started delivery in China came without USS (they ask you to sign a acknowledgment that car has no USS when taking delivery).

Wasn't there a time when that car acknowledgement was popping up here too, but then they've all come with USS since?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230211_230245_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230211_230245_Facebook.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 53
Reactions: Davemcd
I got the impression that the charging speed is faster in the MYLR and MYP (assuming you find a fast enough charger). That is more important than the total range, in my view. I've attached a charging curve someone posted showing their (overseas) MYLR charging on a 250kW charger. It's faster than a MYRWD, which charges at no more than 170kW.

For those who are sticking with RWD, 170kw v 250kw MYLR its not much of a difference of distance charged in the the same amount of time.

MYLR/MYP have larger batteries, so they can charge at a higher rate, and benefit from the 20%-80% charge window most.
RWD has a smaller battery, so it needs to charge slower. It does still however charge at a almost very similar km/minute.

watch this video to get your answer
Thanks that's a great summary video.
I didn't realise that most likely P platers will not be able to drive the Model Y long range. This is the fact that has swayed me to stay with my MYSR. I have a 15 yr old son and 13 year old daughter,. The ability to learn to drive and then be able to drive the Model Y is very important, as it will give our family some flexibility. Also I am now more hopefull of getting the car in May now, as I have seen a large group of existing Model Y SR orders change to LR. I am sure many of these may have ordered prior to december, and these cars will go to current next in line.
I hope those changing in next few days don't find there orders pushed back to June or July. As there is a lot of interest in this new model.

Reactions: YAnthony
Tesla 1.jpg
Tesla 2.jpg

Tesla 3.jpg

Spotted these two vehicle carriers carrying some MYs at 7:30am this morning.
They were Northbound on the Gateway Bridge heading towards exit 106. I'm assuming their destination is the Hendra pickup warehouse.
Before anyone asks, those are just protective covers on the door handles and the wheels look different because they haven't put the Gemini covers on yet.

Who are the lucky people?

Tesla has been very careful to not call it's Dual motors AWD because they are not. Most of the time it's only RWD with front motor not used. Rarely is the front motor used
That's not true. Literally 99% of systems marketed as all wheel drive, (haldex) are front wheel drive 99% of them time until the TC detects slippage and engages the clutch to use the rear wheels. If what you say is true, almost no one would call their cars AWD.

Reactions: houdini and jcan
For those who are sticking with RWD, 170kw v 250kw MYLR its not much of a difference of distance charged in the the same amount of time.

MYLR/MYP have larger batteries, so they can charge at a higher rate, and benefit from the 20%-80% charge window most.
RWD has a smaller battery, so it needs to charge slower. It does still however charge at a almost very similar km/minute.
Because they are more efficient. In a 1000km drive the real advantage of a LR/P is the higher initial range, before the first charge, which is maybe 50km difference, if you're lucky. Depending on where the fast charger you use first is located, determines the total journey time.