Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s not about being sensitive. It’s about being respectful. You can get your point across in an argument without attacking the person.

This is a community forum built. No one is asking anyone to be here but we volunteer our time to help others and ourselves.

Being respectful goes a long way.
presenting a point of view and or observations isn’t being personal or disrespectful. Are you suggesting I’m being disrespectful simply because I have an opinion that is different? No person has been attacked, calm down

Model Y RWD Blue / Black Interior - 19" Gemini wheels. Ordered 9/8/22 Melbourne.
I have an EDD of May 6 to May 27. I have received a final invoice with VIN and build date of 03/04/2023.

What ship would my car be in on ? I have had a look at the armacup schedule, and my best guess is Turandot scheduled to leave shanghai on 24/4 and arriving in Melbourne on 10/5.
Allowing for our lengthy port delays (especially Melbourne), I would say you car is almost certainly on the water and on it's way here.

This is getting way off topic, but also potentially incorrect information. If the MYLR is using the LFP as many sources say, then the "issue" of 100% charging is moot.

We ordered the LR specifically for dual motor AWD as we do a lot of driving on unsealed roads and snow. An extra 80km range is nice but clearly not worth $10k.
LR does not use LFP battery chemistry, they use the NCM battery, hence the advice about not routinely charging it to 100% except for immediate use on a road trip or the like.

Hey, does anyone here know how long the wait generally is once the ships arrive in Port Kembla for Sydney orders? Are we generally talking days or weeks once the cars are unloaded to reach Sydney?
At the moment weeks/months. My RWD Y arrived at PK on March 28th and I only get it next week (May 4th). Some people have cars on the ship before mine and are picking up after mine. That delay may reduce as fewer cars are requiring quarantine cleaning at this stage of the year, but many other factors can come into play to delay or speed things up...

presenting a point of view and or observations isn’t being personal or disrespectful. Are you suggesting I’m being disrespectful simply because I have an opinion that is different? No person has been attacked, calm down
I think when you tell someone you are calling BS on them you lose the ability to say you are being respectful.

Seems everything I was reading was either speculation
Yes you need to be careful, there is a huge amount of speculation out there - and when one "news" site comes up with something new, dozens of others scramble to put their own take on it.
So it's easy to get the impression something is legit but it falls apart when you look for sources.

My favourite are the number of people still asking about the longer rear seats all Model Ys were supposed to get.
All the Tesla blogs were talking about it back in October as if it were a fact but it all traces back to a single tweet
There has never been any further evidence of them.

It's also important to make a distinction between what Teslas in other markets get (or don't get) vs the Australian spec.
Like the ultrasonic sensors, which we still get.

I think your example of regional QLD is clutching at straws. The issue isn’t range on the car. The issue is access to chargers. When more chargers (and fast chargers) become available… the extra range of 80 measly kms is pretty redundant. Think those folks are more likely to be sticking with traditional ICE vehicles until then.
I was giving you an example of how other people have other needs and priorities.

Given that I live in North Queensland, I wasn't "clutching at straws". I recently helped family members buy a Kona EV. They travel from Townsville to Toowoomba a few times per year. They prefer the inland route. Buying a Kona (or a standard range Tesla) means they now have to take the coast road. There are no current plans for anyone to install a charger between Charters Towers and Emerald. They would have preferred a longer range, but it was a compromise they were willing to make. They chose the Kona over a Tesla Model 3 due to a tighter turning circle, more traditional user interface and other factors. I was happy to support their choice because it met their priorities.

I take you at your word that you didn't intend offence. Your tone read as mocking the people who chose differently from you, and that sort of thing makes forums like this less pleasant to visit.

All the best with your choice of car.

I was giving you an example of how other people have other needs and priorities.

Given that I live in North Queensland, I wasn't "clutching at straws". I recently helped family members buy a Kona EV. They travel from Townsville to Toowoomba a few times per year. They prefer the inland route. Buying a Kona (or a standard range Tesla) means they now have to take the coast road. There are no current plans for anyone to install a charger between Charters Towers and Emerald. They would have preferred a longer range, but it was a compromise they were willing to make. They chose the Kona over a Tesla Model 3 due to a tighter turning circle, more traditional user interface and other factors. I was happy to support their choice because it met their priorities.

I take you at your word that you didn't intend offence. Your tone read as mocking the people who chose differently from you, and that sort of thing makes forums like this less pleasant to visit.

Let’s hope the new Fed Government EV strategy addresses gaps in the charger network quickly then ay. All the best

One of the reasons i bought a Tesla is because i don't trust any level of government to address the gaps in the charger network but it indeed would be great if they did
some positive signs, but understand the government cynicism sentiment. Have read recently a lobby group for petrol stations are chasing funding to retrofit ev chargers to existing sites.
They better adapt and fund or say goodbye to our weekends😉

One of the reasons i bought a Tesla is because i don't trust any level of government to address the gaps in the charger network but it indeed would be great if they did
Hi borgsta,
I was disappointed recently to see Tesla have cancelled two superchargers north of Rockhampton. They were initially planned for Q1 this year, then Q3, then cancelled. I hope they reverse the decision sooner than later. In the meantime, the Qld Electric Superhighway is a bit unreliable. Fortunately, we got a new Evie charger in Proserpine. Things are getting better over time.

Same Jon. We travel Townsville to central NSW and normally use the inland route. Last time I did that trip was on a motorbike which coincidentally had the same range as a RWD Model Y. The only way I can see that we will be able to do that now is to leave a day earlier and overnight at the Belyando Crossing roadhouse to allow charging from a 10amp power point.

That is the only gap that needs filling to make the inland route viable and comfortable in 3 days instead of 4. (over 2,000 kilometers)
If that roadhouse installed a destination charger, I'm sure they would do very well from it, at a reasonable price and profit for its use.
Don't know if anyone has approached them? Maybe if we get enough owners together, we can donate them a charger?

Same Jon. We travel Townsville to central NSW and normally use the inland route. Last time I did that trip was on a motorbike which coincidentally had the same range as a RWD Model Y. The only way I can see that we will be able to do that now is to leave a day earlier and overnight at the Belyando Crossing roadhouse to allow charging from a 10amp power point.

That is the only gap that needs filling to make the inland route viable and comfortable in 3 days instead of 4. (over 2,000 kilometers)
If that roadhouse installed a destination charger, I'm sure they would do very well from it, at a reasonable price and profit for its use.
Don't know if anyone has approached them? Maybe if we get enough owners together, we can donate them a charger?
Hi Full Bore,
Yeah Belyando is the logical choice geographically, although it's not the best in place to spend a night. I have to assume they are running off generators there, so imagine fast charging would be out. Destination charging maybe. We only need to be able to add about 100-150km of charge to make it viable.

Realistically, people from Townsville will probably continue to take the coast road instead of adding a night at Belyando. It might be different for people coming from Cairns, etc, who would be more ready for a stop anyway.

Your car hasn't arrived yet, has it? Are they charging you any extra to truck it to you? They said it wouldn't cost me any extra, which makes me wish I could get a discount by going to Brisbane to collect it!