Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a similar text some 10 days ago (05/6), my vehicle was also entered into the RAV DB on the same day. Here I'm with no sign of a delivery schedule message. My last EDD change was 2 days ago, now 23/06 - 08/07. I hope yours follow a different pattern. I'm in Melbourne BTW.
Did you track which ship your car was on? I guess if it was offloaded at Melbourne port you should have got it delivered by now. Might be that your car was on a ship not getting to Melbourne and offloaded at a different port (guess Port Kembla) and on the way to Melbourne on road.

Did you track which ship your car was on? I guess if it was offloaded at Melbourne port you should have got it delivered by now. Might be that your car was on a ship not getting to Melbourne and offloaded at a different port (guess Port Kembla) and on the way to Melbourne on road.
I don't know the ship it was on - not tracking. I just hope it hasn't been lost in transit. 😂

• Funny
Reactions: satred
Definitely not. 🤣
These washers are likely there to get through as many cars as possible and don't really use car detailing level standards for washing. Ceramic coatings require high level paint prep first.
A paint shop told me ceramic was a waste of time. Anyone had experience? I only had it on one car previously and it was great at first, bat *sugar* just pealed off. But guessing you need to reapply yearly as later it wasn't as effective...

A paint shop told me ceramic was a waste of time. Anyone had experience? I only had it on one car previously and it was great at first, bat *sugar* just pealed off. But guessing you need to reapply yearly as later it wasn't as effective...
Was it PPF or Wrapped rather? I was told that Wrapped is only last about 3 years. Ceramic coating, I used for my M3 re-apply every 6 months recommended by I re-apply it every 3 months.

Reactions: 2DoGS
A paint shop told me ceramic was a waste of time
Waste of time and money
I never had ceramics or any kind of paint protection
All cars have a clear coat on paintwork, so its not necessary

Important though to wash off bird poo as soon as possible.

If someone sold me a 2nd hand car with paint protection, I would completely discount that value from the vehicle

For the amount of money spent it is easier to just get a wash and wax at a hand car wash

The thing about paint protection is the kit comes with a fixed amount of paint protection product in a syringe. And it a very small amount like 10-30mls. So typically the installers do the bonnet (which is where people look for checking paint protection quality) but by the time they do the bonnet, there is not much left to do the other panels. Or they skimp on the amount used. Typically the vertical panels like doors and tailgate are poorly done

Waste of time
I never had ceramics or any kind of paint protection
All cars have a clear coat on paintwork, so its not necessary

Important though to wash off bird poo as soon as possible.

If someone sold me a 2nd hand car with paint protection, I would completely discount that value from the vehicle
Acid from birds poo can damage the paint if left too long. The ceramic coating makes my car easy to wash and clean

The ceramic coating makes my car easy to wash and clean
A 4 minute quick wash and wax does the same thing - $27 at Crystal Car Wash
Or buy 1 month washes for $89 and get unlimited 4 minute wash and wax and 1 signature wash and wax
They even do a one year package of $1068 = unlimited 4 minute washes and 12 signature wash and wax

But yes if paint protection is contemplated high quality paint prep is very important before hand.

Last edited:
ceramic coating makes my car easy to wash and clean
This is exactly it. Poor quality ceramic coats offer no more protection than traditional car wax (and may not even last much longer).

A quality ceramic coat can last a year or longer (but needs maintenance), and its primary function is leaving a slick, glossy surface that prevents dirt and grime from sticking too much, making washing easier. I would not pay for a professional ceramic coat, but a bottle of CQuartz and DIY is more than worth it for me.

If one is expecting scratch/chip protection, it's nearly useless. PPF is the only way to protect if that's the goal.
Or you know, clear coats are a protective layer for paint, which in itself protects the car from rust, so $5k+ PPF to protect the protection...

Last edited:
Reactions: Quickst
This is exactly it. Poor quality ceramic coats offer no more protection than traditional car wax (and may not even last much longer).

A quality ceramic coat can last a year or longer (but needs maintenance), and its primary function is leaving a slick, glossy surface that prevents dirt and grime from sticking too much, making washing easier. I would not pay for a professional ceramic coat, but a bottle of CQuartz and DIY is more than worth it for me.

If one is expecting scratch/chip protection, it's nearly useless. PPF is the only way to protect if that's the goal.
Or you know, clear coats are a protective layer for paint, which in itself protects the car from rust, so $5k+ PPF to protect the protection...
I ordered a full front and rocker PPF kit (3M 200 Series) from Paintgard for under $1,500 and will apply myself. They also sell less expensive PPF but I wanted the best clarity and its hydrophobic properties.

Tesbro's also sell a (lower quality) PPF kit from the US, but once you convert to AUD+Shipping+import tax its not as good value as Paitgard

I tossed up so many different options, did a lot research, and everything I have read/watched leads me to believe that a front PPF kit is the best protective investment I can make. There are just too many stories of Tesla bonnet and bumper rock chips that I have taken the "better to protect than repair" approach.

Tesla actually sells touch up paint pots in the US because so many people have had issues with rock chips on the bumpers and bonnet.

I also plan to ceramic coat the whole car with a high grade ceramic coat once I have applied the PPF to help prevent swirls, improve paint clarity, and protect from other contaminants.

Reactions: nishank93
Acid from birds poo can damage the paint if left too long. The ceramic coating makes my car easy to wash and clean
Agree - recently got ceramic coat plus interior protection. Have washed 3 times and found the dirt comes off more easily. The water beading since having ceramic coating is far superior than no coating. Drying (with microfibre cloth) is a dream as cloth just slides off capturing most if not all of water. I got it professionally done (including wheels) and it was kept over night by the detailer to ensure full drying). Very happy with the shine and protection offered - plus the product comes with a 9 year guarantee!

Attachments

• IMG_6102.jpeg
    IMG_6102.jpeg
    897.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_6082.jpeg
    IMG_6082.jpeg
    852.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6079.jpeg
    IMG_6079.jpeg
    690.5 KB · Views: 42
Bit of a lost opportunity for Tesla not to have a subscription based service like Vedaprime, to track your actual vehicle from order to delivery. A premium service could include photos/videos of the car going through production line, up to date location information, which ship it's boarding etc etc. None of this would be overly difficult to produce.

Reactions: LWR15K
None of this would be overly difficult to produce.
I don't see the lost opportunity. Tesla's vehicles sell themselves without advertising.
Additionally that would require someone to identify the vehicle at the production line and down the line at the port, then take photos and upload to the relevant portal. The vehicle has already been ordered, there is no additional benefit to Tesla and it just creates another layer of bureacracy in its production line, maybe even slowing it down

Also how can the customer verify that a photo of a Tesla is destined for them. The photographer could easily just take a photo of any white tesla (or whatever the colour is) and say thats your car.

Im not even certain that at the end of a production line and before it enters the ship, that Tesla has even allocated the VIN to the customer (except maybe the specific and rare non standard build) There are so many standard MYLR, MYRWD. Say 5000 exactly the same vehicles with 5000 VINS. Easier to allocate once the car is on a ship because once on the ship, it will have a list of the VINS that made it on the ship. (Dunno could be totally wrong)

KISS Keep it simple stupid is my motto. i don't want anything to delay a delivery especially when there are ramifications imposed by Govt depts like the ATO and in a rising interest rate environment (when using finance). Something like this wont speed up delivery.

Last edited:
Finally, we had our delivery day today after about 10 months waiting. Woohooo !!
And yes, the (painful) wait was worth it.
Just for info,
You should receive the final ‘Delivery is approaching’ text approx when your car arrives on the dock. Then the ‘Make a delivery appointment’ message when the vehicle clears customs and is in one of teslas holding facilities. Our Tesla was on the Sunlight Ace. We were lucky and received the ‘Make an appointment’ text only 5 days after the ship docked, so it got processed through quarantine and delivered to Alexandria super quick.
Then had to wait another week for finance to be cleared !! The long weekend didn’t help.
The actual delivery process was fairly simple, Sign in at the front office, get shown your car, take a few selfies and wipe the drool from your eat to ear grin, then drive away in the calm and relaxing peak hour Sydney traffic !
So all those waiting for the Grand Eagle, hopefully yours will only be a quick week or so away. Start thinking about finalising your finance. Banks take 2 working days to settle. Tesla needs another 1 or 2 days after that.
Then, Have fun !!