Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the a analysis.
Few questions here.

1. Can you depreciate company car over 4 years? My understanding is that car has lifespan of 8 years according to ATO

2. Can you use company income to offset mortgage? I assume that's what the above calc assumes?
One time an accountant says you can get the money out from company to personal and treat it as a loan, and as long as you return the loan amount before eofy, it's all good.
However, another accountant says it may be risky as ATO may see it as fbt payable or something.

Not sure which one is correct...
You should definitely get professional advice instead of asking an internet forum. That said, I would doubt the professionalism of someone telling you that you can take an interest-free loan from your company without incurring any tax liability just because you repay before EOFY.

The usual guiding principle is that a company is its own entity, and decisions about how it uses its money must be for the benefit of the company. Giving an interest-free loan probably doesn't meet that test. Additionally, an employee receiving free money (even for a while) does sound like they are receiving a benefit, and that benefit would be taxed.

There is a world of difference between "This is the right way to do things" and "It's fine, the ATO won't notice". I personally take option one.

1. Can you depreciate company car over 4 years? My understanding is that car has lifespan of 8 years according to ATO

2. Can you use company income to offset mortgage? I assume that's what the above calc assumes?
One time an accountant says you can get the money out from company to personal and treat it as a loan, and as long as you return the loan amount before eofy, it's all good.
However, another accountant says it may be risky as ATO may see it as fbt payable or something.
1. No Im just using the 4 years as a simple internet/forum calculation. You should use up to whatever your accountant says as a reasonable depreciation period

2. The depreciation benefit is tax saved - essentially imagine it as cash in the bank account. So the interest offset is against other interest paying loans within the entity - easiest to imagine is the depreciation "cash" is offsetting the vehicle loan interest.

I make no other assumption other than the depreciation benefit and that the vehicle remains within the entity.

Reactions: Eaglezzz
If you have a delivery date (next week) does that mean they physically have the car at alexandria already or does it mean that it is "somewhere" and could be still at the port waiting a transport...?
It is common for the car to arrive at the delivery centre one day before delivery. You will probably see it registered the day before delivery, which makes it a pretty safe bet that it is physically at the delivery centre. Of course, it is possible for it to be there sooner, but they have limited space.

Reactions: cafz
1. you are winding up abn
2. you need money now..against a loan
3. you want to depreciate other cars in future years..I think it looks better doing 1 at a time
4. you are changing circumstances and wont be able to say the car is a business asset in future years
Which is one of the reasons I limit the internet/forum calculation over 4 years. I make no assumption otherwise - only that the "cash" sits within the entity and the car remains within the entity.

Reactions: JonDarian
Does anyone know which ship has 14/4 build date?
My guess is Morning Crystal, which already in PK, however tesla rep just told me the car is not in the country yet! Im confused.

Edd 28 june - 19 july
If other dates line up, I suspect it is Morning Crystal (which I believe mine is/was also on).

What date shows up in RAV? (plug your VIN here: https://rav.infrastructure.gov.au/). Mine shows 23rd May, which is the day that Morning Crystal touched down in Brisbane before making its way to PK.

If its the same, then most probably MC.

I don't know how tesla reps tell us where it is, as mine just keeps telling me that the app will be the most up to date and they have no additional way to tell me where its at. Then again, could be a tactic to get me off their back?

Does anyone know which ship has 14/4 build date?
My guess is Morning Crystal, which already in PK, however tesla rep just told me the car is not in the country yet! Im confused.

Edd 28 june - 19 july
Same build date 14/4. Order date is 9/01/2023, RAV entry date: 23/05 (This is when Morning Crystal moored at Brisbane port first before PK which confirmed that my car was on this ship), EDD 28 Jun - 19 Jul
I guess some reps don't know much about it and hence the answer. Check your VIN in this link to see if your RAV date is 23/05 if so mostly your car is on Morning Crystal.

Reactions: Eaglezzz
EX30...

Carwow has it as a model Y competitor (yes I know, it isnt really due to small boot)

But even if it was, the estimates from one factory assuming 1/3 of production is 60K units in 2024.

Australia might get 1-2K units...like basically one ship.

Ordered MYRWD Blue on 20 April 2023 in Canberra. VIN assigned 9 May. Delivery schedule text received last night, no appointments available when I tried to schedule an hour or so after receiving text. Slots became available this morning and have booked for Sat 24th June pickup at Hume in ACT.

I think I've been very fortunate given the long wait some here are experiencing. However, this is all very timely as my current car was rear ended and written off last weekend!
We will see you there

$1200 from Shannon's in qld. But have multiple policy's with them
I am with Shannons too. Have two other cars and home insurance with them. Was about $1460 with $900 excess, I asked some "what ifs" and went down to $1260 with $1200 excess. Took that. Covered full on road purchase cost in Vic of MY-LR with 20" wheels ($90,600). Happy with Cost. Am older with good record which must count. Two drivers, no exclusion for roof glass (some others seem to have this excluded) or any other Tesla specific thing. Shannons were good in a recent no-fault accident we had. Only thing excluded is a free hire car for an at-fault accident, could have added that at extra cost.

Reactions: 2DoGS
We work on the eta and don't want a call stating the Tesla is available in a couple of days because everyone is rejecting a reject. I want the Vin experience straight from the factory.
I don't think they are rejects, you seem to be saying they are a lemon. Almost all would be people changing their minds, mortgage pressure, one or two folk ordering two and taking first one to arrive and cancelling the other. If you have a problem with a car at pick up then Tesla try to fix the car for you rather than just give you the one next to it. Anyway there is no obligation, just say no.

Received my car yesterday (well, my neice picked it up for me as I'm os) , myrwd white/black/Gemini ordered 8/12/22. Built 21/4/23 original deliver window Feb to May 2023, Southport - gold coast delivery centre. My neice said staff tried to push her out the door quickly. I had given her an inspection checklist and they told her not to bother and she was wasting their time as the car has a warranty.

It's probably lucky I wasn't there as I wouldn't accept that sort of nonsense. We have a right to take reasonable care (and time) to ensure the car is in acceptable condition when taking delivery. I know we have a week to report defects but I will not be back in Australia until after the week has expired.

It was disappointing that I missed the unboxing and the treatment of my neice at delivery was unacceptable. For those who have waited longer than me I hope you get your vehicles soon.

Whilst I have hated the whole big red ribbon approach to car deliveries in the past at least those car makers a making an effort with regards to customer service. Tesla unfortunately has a lot to learn as customer service since ordering 7 months ago has been for the most part non existent.
We had the opposite experience in Melbourne Mulgrave. Definitely take as long as you want, ask any question. Only issue was grabbing someone away from other customers to get the questions answered, had to wait just a few minutes at one point but it would have been rude of them to split off from one party to deal with a question from us. But a good experience was had. If I were you I would be reporting them in writing to whatever Tesla contact details you can find (even reply to your Tesla text messages). And ask for an apology, you and your niece deserve one. It's meant to be a happy occasion (and happily ours was). Re the overall experience while waiting, I agree there was no ongoing communication or clarity with Tesla, but I cannot say I have ever experienced anything like good customer service with any ICE dealer either. Just interest when you walk to a dealer in which evaporates if you are not there to "buy today".

• Informative
Exactly,
In FY2023 the only MYLR that comes with LCT $0 is the "vanilla" bog standard white.
For $400 and a longer queue into FY2024, I can get a Red MLYR my preferred colour and wont have to do FBT.

Do I want to? Ive got a few days to decide...
Exactly this.

Once Tesla Rep effectively confirmed FY2023 wasn't going to happen so couldn't get the instant write off (I did notice my 'coming soon' text once Grand Eagle had docked was quite a lot later than lots of other on this forum) I realised I was getting a vanilla white I didn't really want/would be stuck with for a few years for FBT purposes that were no longer relevant and the sake of $400. Just know I'd always end up thinking the $400 wasn't worth saving.

And who knows, might pick something up in inventory, so might be able to avoid the wait. If not, looks like c.3 months, which in the grand scheme of things...

Exactly this.

Once Tesla Rep effectively confirmed FY2023 wasn't going to happen so couldn't get the instant write off (I did notice my 'coming soon' text once Grand Eagle had docked was quite a lot later than lots of other on this forum) I realised I was getting a vanilla white I didn't really want/would be stuck with for a few years for FBT purposes that were no longer relevant and the sake of $400. Just know I'd always end up thinking the $400 wasn't worth saving.

And who knows, might pick something up in inventory, so might be able to avoid the wait. If not, looks like c.3 months, which in the grand scheme of things...
ive noticed on this forum quite a lot of ppl took a punt before the new LCT thresholds were announced, and went and ordered color/wheel optioned LR's anyway kinda half betting for a FY24 delivery. I wish i'd done that, considering my original white order date, if I had ordered the blue that I wanted on that day, my car would be on grand eagle today and would've just unloaded, i could play it a few days and boom it'd be 1st jul by the time i pick it up.. but nooooo, dumba$$ me went and ordered a white when i wanted a blue, so I had to reorder once the LCT threshold was announced. so now my white's back in the queue (someone else will get it), and my blue order is at the back of the queue, Tesla SA tells me no chance before September... and lost $400 in the process. *kicks brick wall hard*