Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The maximum charge you can use on single phase is currently 20 amps
What's the reasoning behind that?.
So QLD electricians are not allowed to install circuits in excess of 20A in the 1p context?.

I know my electrician in NSW was reticent to install more than a 20A 3p circuit. I tried to talk him into more than that but he said 20A was all I needed for the Gen3WC. I wonder if there are special regulations attached to >20A circuits which are State agnostic?

So QLD electricians are not allowed to install circuits in excess of 20A?.

I know my electrician in NSW was reticent to install more than a 20A 3p circuit. I tried to talk him into more than that but he said 20A was all I needed for the Gen3WC. I wonder if there are special regulations attached to >20A circuits ?
My electrician ended up installing 25A 3phase for me as 16A is enough for our M3/Y since the max it can chew is 11kWh but not if I want to upgrade to Model S and X later on

So QLD electricians are not allowed to install circuits in excess of 20A?.

I know my electrician in NSW was reticent to install more than a 20A 3p circuit. I tried to talk him into more than that but he said 20A was all I needed for the Gen3WC. I wonder if there are special regulations attached to >20A circuits which are State agnostic?
I assume it is aimed at balancing the load across phases, but I honestly don't know and Ergon don't feel the need to explain. A cynical view would be that they are trying to force customers onto controlled tariffs. For me, I just want to be able to use my three-phase 15kW solar inverter and 20kW of panels to charge my car when the sun is shining, and avoid drawing from the grid wherever possible. That would help smooth the midday peak in my solar exports, which Ergon complain about (I already run my hot water system in the middle of the day).

I am waiting for Tesla to enable Charge on Solar in my Powerwall (a function which has been "coming" since before I chose a Powerwall 2.5 years ago!). Then I will consider a wall charger on a three-phase connection. What I don't want is for the car to be charging at 11kW when a cloud blows over and drops my PV production so that I am suddenly drawing a lot of power from the grid.

Anyway, there are other threads for discussing charging, so I'll stop talking about it here! For new owners, reading Quckst's post and running some numbers should be a solid start.

I assume it is aimed at balancing the load across phases, but I honestly don't know and Ergon don't feel the need to explain.
Yes, this is exactly it. This rule comes from the "Balancing of Load" section in the Queensland Electricity Connection Manual.

This section starts:
The load of an installation (including all primary and secondary tariff loads), or separately metered portion of an installation supplied by separate consumer mains or submains, shall be so balanced that at the time of maximum demand on such installation or portion of such installation the current in any phase does not exceed the current in any other phase by more than 20 A (unless otherwise approved in writing by the distributor). The principal tariff load (and secondary tariff load where possible) shall be balanced across all supplied phases and the use of controlled or time of use tariffs to balance another tariff across phases will not be accepted. The distributor may apply additional conditions when large loads are connected in rural (non-
urban) areas.

<snip> For me, I just want to be able to use my three-phase 15kW solar inverter and 20kW of panels to charge my car when the sun is shining, and avoid drawing from the grid wherever possible. <snip>
We lucked out on this front - because we have a Fronius based solar system, we can add a Fronius Wattpilot into the mix, set the dial for "Eco", and it will simply divert all excess solar production into the vehicle (we will have this set to do that after charging home battery and heating hot water).

I have heard some talk that buying the Fronius smart meter (which is the name for their consumption monitoring kit) and a Wattpilot will still allow this same functionality irrespective of whether one has a Fronius inverter or not - but on this I am not sure, and it might pay to check with Fronius before buying anything.

• Informative
Reactions: JonDarian
Ordered 23/8 and still just the RN with an ETA of AUG - SEP
Order 12/8 MYLR White with 20” wheels.
EDD still saying Aug-Sep (as it always has).
Waaaaiiiting…
I noticed Turandot has just hit Port Kembla, so wondering if a few more might be coming to NSW and ACT? Maybe one for me?
I don’t mind if it’s another month - just need to know as I have to sell my other car first… but don’t want to be stuck car-less for months either!