Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was speaking to my brother today about our GC issues. Although he is a massive Tesla fan (he has a model Y), he did mention that he was a bit surprised at the lack 'customer service', noting that his model Y only had 9% charge when he picked it up. And his one was not stuck on a boat for a month ++.

I know the issue about battery health has been brought up before, but I wonder if 2000+ EV's running out/low on battery is going to add further delays (not to mention potential degrade battery life in the long run).

One feature that I am going to miss big time is ventilated seats. I hardly use heated seats or steering wheel but ventilated seats are extremely useful in Australia. I know 2024 Model 3 has ventilated seats but I doubt Model Y will be getting it until Juniper is released.

Reactions: cacsmc
Since 2013, I have bought a new car every year. All of them have been AWD. Currently I have a Palisade Highlander, previous Mazda CX9 Azami, Land-rover Discovery, Jeep Grand Cherokee, BMW X5 .......
Well hot damn someone likes their cars then! I've only owned 3 in my 16 years of driving (the Tesla will be #4)

It's up to you if you wish to go for the LR. It's got a lot of benefits over the RWD. I don't know if you'll get it sooner though than the current order.

Obviously the battery chemistry is one thing that sways a lot of people to the RWD. LFP has so far got a great track record for longevity, ease of charge, and safety.
For me, as many have said, the big price jump to the LR is too much for me to justify a bit of extra performance. I am not one for massive power, my last car was a 2015 A3 which I loved and that was plenty of power for us.
I never ever drive more than 100km in the most busiest of days, and reports of people doing long road trips in the RWD or M3 standard range have been very positive.
The reason for choosing Tesla was simply the massive space in the cabin, excellent technology as standard, and the supercharger network.

Drive away price difference between RWD and LR AWD is about $17K. Apart from dual-motor AWD, the major difference between two cars is the battery; LFP vs NMC. There are pros and cons of both LFP and NMC batteries. I will talk to Tesla if they can re-assign me a LR and if they don't, I will cancel the current order and put a new order in for LR. Any thoughts....!
Note: I am planning to keep this car for at least 3 years.
I've had both the SR+ (precursor to the RWD) and the LR AWD for a few years each.

I tend to go on longer trips about a dozen times a year, and when I do the additional range available in the LR has been nice to have - it just lets you push that one charging stop further when it would be convenient to do so, and gives you that bit further you can do an out-and-back trip from home without a charge at the destination.

My Tesla Y is on GC and we are in Brisbane. Delivery date has been showing Nov 29 to Dec 20th for a while but we just received an email saying our final invoice is in our Tesla Account? No further details about expected delivery. Does this mean they are expecting it to happen soon or they just want their money😏

My Tesla Y is on GC and we are in Brisbane. Delivery date has been showing Nov 29 to Dec 20th for a while but we just received an email saying our final invoice is in our Tesla Account? No further details about expected delivery. Does this mean they are expecting it to happen soon or they just want their money😏
Rang Tesla as no accompanying sms. They said they do not have a firm delivery date as yet but are having everything ready to go including regn papers. We don't have to pay until we receive the sms.

They just want the money 😅 I got my final invoice over a month ago.

I was speaking to my brother today about our GC issues. Although he is a massive Tesla fan (he has a model Y), he did mention that he was a bit surprised at the lack 'customer service', noting that his model Y only had 9% charge when he picked it up. And his one was not stuck on a boat for a month ++.

I know the issue about battery health has been brought up before, but I wonder if 2000+ EV's running out/low on battery is going to add further delays (not to mention potential degrade battery life in the long run).
Aren’t there internal superchargers at all delivery centres? It seems weird that they would make it that you couldn’t even drive home from the area. I’m picking mine up on Thursday and I wouldn’t leave until they brought it up to enough to get me home according to the nav. On top of that, anything below 20% is terrible for the battery.

Recommend maximum charge for NMC battery is 90%. You can schedule it to only charge to 90%. The range comparisons I have seen show LR giving 425km and RWD 355. Also, RWD is a bit sluggish at start,
I don’t think 6.9 to 100 is sluggish but I guess I’m used to most ice vehicles being 8-10 seconds. What’s more useable is acceleration when overtaking.

Think the additional range can be useful if you drive long distances often. Long distance driving is not for me though :)

Aren’t there internal superchargers at all delivery centres? It seems weird that they would make it that you couldn’t even drive home from the area. I’m picking mine up on Thursday and I wouldn’t leave until they brought it up to enough to get me home according to the nav. On top of that, anything below 20% is terrible for the battery.
Let's just hope the ones sitting on the GC haven't gone flat...

What I find curios is that if you go through old news articles about biosecurity\ quarantine. Many of the articles stated that Tesla did not share ships with other manufacturers to reduce the likelihood of being affected by quarantine.

I wonder if they’ve changed their shipping policy since then...
If you scroll back thru this thread to a point in time when GC actually made it to fisherman island and offloaded a few cars (circa mid October) an eye witness reported seeing Tesla and non Tesla cars being offloadied.

One feature that I am going to miss big time is ventilated seats. I hardly use heated seats or steering wheel but ventilated seats are extremely useful in Australia. I know 2024 Model 3 has ventilated seats but I doubt Model Y will be getting it until Juniper is released.
My 2008 VW Passat CC Coupe has ventilated leather seats ... It's something I'll miss for sure. Like you I've never needed or used heated seats.

If you scroll back thru this thread to a point in time when GC actually made it to fisherman island and offloaded a few cars (circa mid October) an eye witness reported seeing Tesla and non Tesla cars being offloadied.
Yeah I saw it, which makes me wonder if they changed their policies around shipping or if the news articles had incorrect information.

It feels like a new issue for Tesla, given how inept they’ve been at handling the issue with customers.