Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just noticed this morning that:
no longer has a place holder for the arrival of the GC (it was the 18th). AA terminals PK has had a TBA placeholder for some time.
Although AA terminals in Brisbane has a placeholder for the 18th, there is still no REM listed on qships to move the GC from the Point Cartwright Anchorage to a berth on Fisherman Islands.

edit: My delivery window moved just now from 11/Dec/23-01/Jan/24 out to 14/Jan/24-04/Feb/24.
I'm becoming increasingly inclined to walk away. The $3K NSW rebate won't compensate if the 2024 MY refresh starts to be delivered (and that assumes that they haven't already hit 25000 cars already).

If you do a Google Search "Stink Bug Season 2023 Australia" you will find dozens of specific warnings from shipping companies such as this one The Ultimate Stink Bug Season Guide (2023/24 Update) that warn that Stink Bugs are a real threat to imports and that you MUST have plans if you don't want your cargo to be extensively delayed or refused entry to Australia.

This was a known BIG problem well before the GC was booked to headed to China to pick up Tesla Cars.

Given that this is a known BIG problem it seems to me that Tesla should have had both prevention (to stop their shipment being delayed) and mitigation (to reduce the effect on customers if they were affected) plans.

Perhaps you could argue that Tesla’s shipping agent is responsible for this whole debacle and indeed it must take some of the responsibility. BUT Tesla engage them and was responsible for setting the parameters around that engagement – did Tesla every ask what are we doing about stink bugs?

If Tesla and its shipping agent had stink bug plans, they sure did not work.

To me the buck stops with Tesla. This is a case of a plan (being generous here) which totally failed. The result is very unhappy people and Tesla hiding behind a curtain of silence.

Sorry I am ranting; it will change nothing really it is very depressing….

Reactions: MrPinkyMalinky
I finally got some positive results on my whole personal fiasco.
My lease and financer will be paused until the delivery date. I get to hold on to the original fixed rates and will keep all of the benefits (no FBT, no stamp duty, the $750 referral bonus etc).
I just have to continue to be patient and wait with the rest of you.
Also my wife agrees that we should do a big push of complaints, but I personally don't see how this will help. Thoughts?

Reactions: Goneincognito
I have started looking for alternatives. Kia and Hyundai are overpriced and have major quality issues. I am booking test drives for BMW iX and Mercedes EQC. I understand they are more expensive but their quality is at another level and both are readily available.

I have started looking for alternatives. Kia and Hyundai are overpriced and have major quality issues. I am booking test drives for BMW iX and Mercedes EQC. I understand they are more expensive but their quality is at another level and both are readily available.
Didn't you just switch to a LR? I get the feeling that when 2024 production begins you will be on the next shipment and get it before this ship returns to Brisbane for another restock of grain for the Stinky boys.

Alternatives, BYD Seal?
Hyundai Ionic 5 and Kia EV6 have a much much longer wait time than the Model Y ever will and cost even more.

Didn't you just switch to a LR? I get the feeling that when 2024 production begins you will be on the next shipment and get it before this ship returns to Brisbane for another restock of grain for the Stinky boys.

Alternatives, BYD Seal?
Hyundai Ionic 5 and Kia EV6 have a much much longer wait time than the Model Y ever will and cost even more.
Yes I did change to LR but I believe it will not arrive before March. I think Tesla will clear GC stock first before bringing more MY. There are a lot of cancellations in the recent days, I know a couple of people who have cancelled their orders and will not re-order until GC stock has been sold.

Also, my Palisade has just been sold. I am not super stressed since we have two more cars at home but I don’t have a new toy to play with:)

Reactions: Peterbeans
Yes I did change to LR but I believe it will not arrive before March. I think Tesla will clear GC stock first before bringing more MY. There are a lot of cancellations in the recent days, I know a couple of people who have cancelled their orders and will not re-order until GC stock has been sold.

Also, my Palisade has just been sold. I am not super stressed since we have two more cars at home but I don’t have a new toy to play with:)
I guess you're in a much more fortunate position than me, because I don't understand cancelling and waiting for GC to finish before re-ordering. That would just make the wait longer.
I make jokes about it but I highly doubt the time on the ship will have any adverse affects to the car. My main concern is exposure to corrosion but from the videos I saw the cars are sealed away pretty well.