Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, looks like GC is indeed on its way back to Shanghai.

1703252667457.png

In a world of distant seas and skies,
A tale unfolds, filled with surprises.
A new car, shiny and bright, I sought,
A treasure to cherish, a dream I bought.

Through the vast oceans, the Glovis Caravel sailed,
With my precious cargo, a promise unveiled.
A ship bound for Australia's distant shore,
My heart brimming with excitement, eager for more.

But fate had other plans, a twist unforeseen,
A delay on arrival, an extended quarantine.
Outside Brisbane's port, the ship stood still,
Two months locked away, time standing still.

Days turned to weeks, weeks into endless nights,
Hopes flickered, fading like distant lights.
Yet patience prevailed, a steadfast grip,
While whispers of despair brushed upon my ship.

Today, an unexpected turn of tide,
A wave of disappointment, my heart couldn't hide.
The Glovis Caravel, with cargo intact,
Set sail for Shanghai, a course retract.

My new car, bound on this ship's return,
With dreams untold, now takes a different turn.
Back to the shores where it once began,
A tale that whispers, a story of a plan.

But as the waves crash, my spirit won't yield,
For destiny's path, it shall surely reveal.
Though my car sails afar, in foreign lands,
In my heart, it will remain, where it firmly stands.

The journey may be altered, plans rearranged,
Yet hope shall endure, never to be estranged.
One day, my car will find its way,
To my embrace, where it's meant to stay.

So, farewell Glovis Caravel, bound for afar,
Carry my dreams, like a shining star.
Though the seas may part, and ships may roam,
In patience, I'll wait, until you find your home.

Reactions: meloccom
Well I think we all knew that this might end badly, hopefully the batteries are in the 40-60% range which is best for storage for the NCA/NCM batteries that they use in the LR/P (can't remember which one)
They get a top up from the chargers in Shanghai and then the ship is thoroughly cleaned before it returns to Oz, passes quarantine inspection and we get our new cars by March?

This has tuned into a PR nightmare, I'm surprised the anti-EV press hasn't reported this yet?

I imagine they will allocate us the same cars, why would they do otherwise?
The paperwork is already done for a lot of these orders.
All speculation at this point, could be that another ship full is already on it's way, or could be that they have to wait for the GC to unload and then reload onto another ship. Changing the VIN isn't going to be a massive deal, just a matter of what they have available.

Unfortunately global supply lines are in a mess at the moment due to the closure of the Suez, so I can only assume this is a nightmare to solve with so many moving pieces.

All speculation at this point, could be that another ship full is already on it's way, or could be that they have to wait for the GC to unload and then reload onto another ship. Changing the VIN isn't going to be a massive deal, just a matter of what they have available.

Unfortunately global supply lines are in a mess at the moment due to the closure of the Suez, so I can only assume this is a nightmare to solve with so many moving pieces.
What do you think they will do with the cars that were assigned for us?

If tesla were interested in customer satisfaction they would not have waited this long to fulfill the edd. So it's unlikely they will automatically reassign vins from another shipment, their aim is to get rid of gc cars before any news of the Shanghai refresh for aus gets out.

What do you think they will do with the cars that were assigned for us?
Impossible to guess, it all depends on what is available.

If tesla were interested in customer satisfaction they would not have waited this long to fulfill the edd. So it's unlikely they will automatically reassign vins from another shipment, their aim is to get rid of gc cars before any news of the Shanghai refresh for aus gets out.
They have no way of knowing what was going to happen with GC, whether it was just going to be a 2 week delay or what. They also can't magically make thousands of MY's teleport to the required cities.

I understand the frustration and I'm really glad Tesla have made a goodwill gesture, but a measure of common sense needs to be applied.

How they end up resolving it is going to be based on what they have available, what ships they have available, (taking into account there is much going on in the world at the moment that is having MASSIVE effects on shipping), etc etc. It's all complete guesswork at the moment and telling people they will or won't do something based on faulty assumptions doesn't help anyone and just induces more anxiety unnecessarily.

I can't help myself but keep speculating 🤔.
It might be something to do with some clause in the insurance for the goods on the ship. Could be that the insurance is forcing to act within let's say 90 days of initial loading on the ship. If the cars still unloaded then it becomes the property of GC and they pay the value to the car companies. Obviously the owner of GC does not want that. Hence, rushing back to Shanghai, reload the same cars, come back and hope for the best .

Does anyone have data from another ship in terms of timeframe from leaving China to delivery in AUS? They are due back 2. Jan, I’m thinking it’ll be a few weeks to get back on (hopefully not GC) the boat again.
Assuming everything goes to plan, it's usually 2-3 weeks for QLD then a couple of weeks for each destination after that.
At least that is what I have seen previously.

If I see the refresh on the Tesla site I'm immediately cancelling and will be demanding my money back from the NL deductions. Until then, I will be as patient as I can, but we really need a car soon...
I'm of the same opinion. But not sure how it will work out. My NL provider says they can do an asset swap no problem, i.e. change of VIN. But I'm not sure if they will allow cancelling and refunding of the finance and re-establishing it again. This is because the rates are now different.

Would one option be to just refuse delivery until they offer the new refresh model? They can't force you to come pick up the car you don't want.