Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have just done the exact same thing. Got the same EDD but for a 2024 inventory model with exactly the same spec as the Sept 2023 manufactured GC stink bug vehicle they were trying to get me to take.
So, after cancelling my January order for a MYLR where I got allocated a Sept 23 Stink Bug vehicle due to be delivered between the 11th and 26th of March, I reordered in mid-February and got an inventory 2024 MYLR with exactly the same upgraded spec, with a 15th of January manufacture date, and I've got the confirmed delivery/collection date of the 16th of March.

It only cost me $400 to get the same or earlier delivery date for a MY24 rather than a six-month-old MY23 that has been sitting on the water for months and has been fumigated. I guarantee that come the day I sell it, the value of a MY24 over a MY23 will be worth more than $400.

Reactions: bsbh
So, after cancelling my January order for a MYLR where I got allocated a Sept 23 Stink Bug vehicle due to be delivered between the 11th and 26th of March, I reordered in mid-February and got an inventory 2024 MYLR with exactly the same upgraded spec, with a 15th of January manufacture date, and I've got the confirmed delivery/collection date of the 16th of March.

It only cost me $400 to get the same or earlier delivery date for a MY24 rather than a six-month-old MY23 that has been sitting on the water for months and has been fumigated. I guarantee that come the day I sell it, the value of a MY24 over a MY23 will be worth more than $400.
But it also cancels out because I don't have to pay 2.5k stamp duty and i get 3k rebate back

I wonder what Tesla will do with all these Stinky Y's as people keep cancelling them. Surely, it's time to list them on discount and be upfront with the history instead of casually assigning them to new orders.
Probably re-comply them as 2024 so people think they are getting a newer car which just cost them $400 more :)

Highly doubt that considering the build dates are 3 months apart lmao

I think Tesla are having a good number of un-ordered Tesla's on shore. They've increased Australia allocation from the factory, seems like?

I wasn't too picky to check the painting issues, everything looked fine.. but when i took it for ceramic coat they found out(and shown me) there are some swirls and hairline scratches. He used a flood light sortt of thing to check. He said nothing to worry and can get fixed, they are probably due to hard buffing when are fixing paint issues.

If you are too concerned you may want to take good torch light to check when picking up.

Reactions: bsbh
I wasn't too picky to check the painting issues, everything looked fine.. but when i took it for ceramic coat they found out(and shown me) there are some swirls and hairline scratches. He used a flood light sortt of thing to check. He said nothing to worry and can get fixed, they are probably due to hard buffing when are fixing paint issues.

If you are too concerned you may want to take good torch light to check when picking up.
What are they going to do about it at the DC though? Is there a history of Tesla paying for things like that to be fixed up or delaying your delivery again until they rectify it?

Mate I've been waiting 6 months since ordering and have had about 5 delays. It's been about 9 months since my initial test drive and inquiries. Not the Parramatta showroom floor staff's fault. Patience is a virtue.
2 days to go for us now !!

I did get a message today off tesla asking if I wanted an earlier appointment but Saturday is my first chance to get to Sydney so can’t change it now.

Reactions: Phezla
Update from me, I decided to cancel the sept 2023 model y rwd they assigned to me. Took $500 hit. I re-ordered from inventory of the build date 2024, which was on walrus ace vessel.

Today just received the schedule for delivery!!! Picking up vehicle next Sunday in Mulgrave. Super thrilled and feel like a kid with a new toy coming!

So inspired by above two stories - and given my model y LR was on walrus ace as well with the same 15th Jan 2024 build date, I called Tesla just now. It seems they have no control on how these deliveries happen. There are 2000 cars piled up on port, with 6 cars loaded per truck going to the DC and so its taking time. Apparently first cars onto ship are the last ones unloaded and put on trucks, but that does not explain how other MYLR with 15th Jan builds are getting delivery dates and I am not. Anyways I explained to them I am travelling overseas for 4 weeks and they just said wait it out to see if you get before the travel or authorise someone else to collect the car, as they don't hold onto cars. They just cancel your order and pass the car on to someone else!

One things forsure, giving staff “an earfull” is disrespectful and unhelpful.
Well when I say earful it wasnt like I was yelling and screaming. I was polite but firm. I told them how if they dint know they should not probably tell customers wrong info and how their stories dont match from employee to employee.

Also in my case I was told that the salesperson assigned to me would be the point of contact but everytime I call I have never spoken to him in 4 months. Wrong choice of words for saying earful when jt was more like a reminder to them for customer service.

Anyways, it is frustrating to keep waiting so sometimes patience runs out

So inspired by above two stories - and given my model y LR was on walrus ace as well with the same 15th Jan 2024 build date, I called Tesla just now. It seems they have no control on how these deliveries happen. There are 2000 cars piled up on port, with 6 cars loaded per truck going to the DC and so its taking time. Apparently first cars onto ship are the last ones unloaded and put on trucks, but that does not explain how other MYLR with 15th Jan builds are getting delivery dates and I am not. Anyways I explained to them I am travelling overseas for 4 weeks and they just said wait it out to see if you get before the travel or authorise someone else to collect the car, as they don't hold onto cars. They just cancel your order and pass the car on to someone else!
Sorry to hear on your experience, all the best with getting a delivery soon! I am sure it will be all worth it once it lands in your hands