Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto adjusting cruise to current speed limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ignorance doesn't need to be forgiven. I'm sure whatever it is you do for a living I would be ignorant about. This is the kind of thing I do. I have quite a bit of experience in similar projects. At this point, I have a "plan" - more an idea, I guess. I can't really develop a proper plan or know how well things will go until I get the parts I've ordered and start exploring the car's bus. It is premature to discuss details.

I can tell you it doesn't involve any code hacking. I wouldn't be changing anything at all with how the vehicle does what it does, just the triggers that determine when it does what it would do anyway, given appropriate user inputs. Really, nothing on the car would be modified.

There certainly may be a time in the future where Tesla updates something that renders my method ineffective, counterproductive or simply redundant. Unlike Mr. Musk, I can't see the future. But a future update wouldn't cause a problem that wouldn't be easily remedied by unplugging my device and updating it (I plan to stay on top of things and offer new functionality or adjust old as necessary since I'm fully aware that Tesla regularly updates the car).

Actually, I had considered that maybe I'll force updates by disabling the device when a new FW version is detected. I'm not sure. That's safer in terms of product interaction issues, but "dangerous" in terms of value (what if I get hit by a bus and a FW update occurs and now you simply have a brick). Of course, we're not talking about an expensive thing here, so probably not a big worry.

• Helpful
Reactions: BerTX