Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto headlights with wipers function deleted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes it can rain on a bright day but deluges as is being mentioned nearly always means clouds full of rain i.e. dark clouds. Not making excuses for Tesla not turning lights on automatically but I cant remember seeing a deluge where I cant see, on a bright day?!
You should visit Orlando on any day in July or August between the hours of two and three PM :)

In MA, I believe the law is that if your wipers are on, your headlights should be. There's really no downside to that.

Reactions: Gasaraki
You should visit Orlando on any day in July or August between the hours of two and three PM :)

In MA, I believe the law is that if your wipers are on, your headlights should be. There's really no downside to that.
Yes, I lived near Orlando (Lakeland) for a couple of years...I remember it still got pretty dark when a real 'deluge' was happening...I'm guessing definition of deluge is the issue! LOL

Since theren'is no easy access to the light function on the model X the removal of the link wipers on = lights on makes driving in the rain both unsafe and a potential for a moving violation. I don't want to take my eyes off the road, especially in the rain, to fumble thru multiple screens to find the button to turn on the lights. It would be different if Teslas had a light stalk like other cars. Without that stalk the only safe solution is to automate the feature. I hope you're listening Tesla. What possible reason could there be for deleting a feature that you sold with the car.

I've had my 3 for over 2 years and I don't recall ever seeing a setting to turn on lights when the wipers were on. Where was it? Was the feature "smart" enough to be useful? (e.g., didn't flash your headlights at everyone whenever you tapped the button to de-mist your windshield).

I 100% agree this should be a setting for folks that want it (I would like it), but I don't recall ever seeing it before, and I'm the type that looks through every menu page on everything.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
I've had my 3 for over 2 years and I don't recall ever seeing a setting to turn on lights when the wipers were on. Where was it? Was the feature "smart" enough to be useful? (e.g., didn't flash your headlights at everyone whenever you tapped the button to de-mist your windshield).

I 100% agree this should be a setting for folks that want it (I would like it), but I don't recall ever seeing it before, and I'm the type that looks through every menu page on everything.

It wasn't a setting option, the car just did it automatically. No, it would not turn the lights on just from using the mist function (half press for 1-wipe) or the washer function (deep press for washers + 4-5 wipes). Only when the wipers were actually turned onto one of the levels or to auto did the headlights come on.

Reactions: DaveRZ
If you wonder what the commands are...

Reactions: rpiotro
It's discussed in another thread somewhere. The general guess is that it may be a regulation that prevents headlights being voice activated.

I can't find that thread. Any idea what search terms might find it? Also, can't find any regulations against voice commands or even specifying method of controlling headlights; in fact, if there were, I'd guess touchscreen controls would be more objectionable to the regulators.

If there were such a regulation, I'm sure it would butt heads with the ADA and any points of safety concerns could be resolved since fingertip headlight controls have no safety restrictions (e.g., no verification steps, some are installed in easy reach of passengers, etc.).

Reactions: rpiotro
Thank you. I went thru tesla customer service about this after calling service because I thought there was a problem. Bern driving in heavy rain for 10 months thinking lights went on automatically when wipers on. it is the law in many states. Then I found that I can NOT turn headlights on manually with voice control. So I had to go thru 2 screens in a driving downpour with heavy traffic. Definitely a safety issue. Please either put the auto headlights back into the firmware or put voice control in for headlights. I can do lots of Stacy stuff with voice but not lights. Don’t understand the thinking on this.
Thanks for posting. I had the exact same issue except I also had a Florida Highway Patrol car behind me while I was trying voice commands and fiddling with the screen trying to get the headlights on in pouring rain and heavy traffic. I didn't realize my headlights were not on at first, since previously they always came on in the rain. Tesla should at least make this a settable option, and/or add a voice command to turn on headlights.