Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto headlights with wipers function deleted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lest anyone doubt the seriousness of this issue, in this afternoon's incident, the onset of the torrential rain occurred within a few seconds. AP was on and doing a fair job in the deluge at 50 mph on a 4 lane divided road. As I went to turn on the lights on the screen ( there is no voice command ) the AP disconnected. I voice commanded the "Wipers higher" to make sure they were on max and it misinterpreted and turned them OFF. I was blind for about 10 seconds until I could bring up the card and turn them back on. Is this the type of automation behavior necessary for FSD? I think not. I filed a NHTSA report once I confirmed from Tesla the function had been removed.
Thank you. I went thru tesla customer service about this after calling service because I thought there was a problem. Bern driving in heavy rain for 10 months thinking lights went on automatically when wipers on. it is the law in many states. Then I found that I can NOT turn headlights on manually with voice control. So I had to go thru 2 screens in a driving downpour with heavy traffic. Definitely a safety issue. Please either put the auto headlights back into the firmware or put voice control in for headlights. I can do lots of Stacy stuff with voice but not lights. Don’t understand the thinking on this.

Not so. At least in Wisconsin. To the best of my knowledge, the only nearby state that requires this is Minnesota.

Let me go on the record supporting wipers on = headlights on but it is not universal. The driver can make that choice also you know.
18 states require lights with wipers by law, 12 others require them on in adverse conditions that are not defined according to a google search

Reactions: rpiotro
Thank you. I went thru tesla customer service about this after calling service because I thought there was a problem. Bern driving in heavy rain for 10 months thinking lights went on automatically when wipers on. it is the law in many states. Then I found that I can NOT turn headlights on manually with voice control. So I had to go thru 2 screens in a driving downpour with heavy traffic. Definitely a safety issue. Please either put the auto headlights back into the firmware or put voice control in for headlights. I can do lots of Stacy stuff with voice but not lights. Don’t understand the thinking on this.
I completely agree and just noticed that this functionality had changed a week ago. I think it’s part of my 2021.32.21 update that came at the end of September. I would really appreciate a toggle added so that I can add headlights on when wipers are on because nine times out of ten it makes sense even if it isn’t the law.

FWIW, here's a map showing which laws require lights to be on when windshield wipers are in use, as of April of 2018 (it might have changed since then, of course):
b039ac76-8f35-4ad7-bbf3-21af8fdc5a79_750x422.png

There are subtleties, of course; here's an article that goes into a bit more detail on state-by-state rules for when headlights should be in use.

• Informative
Reactions: SomeJoe7777
If the car had real quick-and-easy to reach physical controls I wouldn't care but I agree having to hit the talk to pop up a screen to then tap the screen to enable wipers (already don't like that) and then navigate to turn headlights on is just... automation is great when it works but making it so much more difficult when it doesn't need to be seems to support the case for cost saving (less buttons) plus some hubris (we can do it better than anyone anyway) at a potential cost of safety

I'll note again that our 'low tech' system on our 2017 Audi is more reliable for auto lights and auto wipers. Hmm

Reactions: Jclboston
Apparently a software update has deleted the headlights on when windshield wipers are on function. Noticed no headlight icon in torrential Florida rain this afternoon. This is potentially catastrophically unsafe. My 2004 Toyota Avalon still does it. This function needs to be restored now,
The same just happened to me yesterday in heavy rain and heavy traffic. I had a FHP cop behind me and I noticed that my headlights had not switched on like they normally do. If Florida that's the law and a ticketable offense. I tried a voice command because I didn't want to fiddle with the screen in traffic, but it didn't work (Network not available?). There needs to be a setting added to allow "automatic headlights in rain", but also doesn't activate just when you're activating the windshield washer.

I have been following this thread and I see different behavior. My headlights are not tied to the wipers but I did notice that whenever it was raining the gloom triggered the headlights. Same result. Are others not seeing this?

Besides, with DRLs is it really necessary to have the headlights on? Not like the car is invisible.

I have been following this thread and I see different behavior. My headlights are not tied to the wipers but I did notice that whenever it was raining the gloom triggered the headlights. Same result. Are others not seeing this?

Besides, with DRLs is it really necessary to have the headlights on? Not like the car is invisible.
In some parts of the country/world, it can rain while still being a bright day. Additionally, in quite a few states, there is a law stating that if it is raining(or sometimes if your wipers are on), your headlights must be on, and DRL's don't count.

Reactions: DocHolliday
What about those people that don’t like their headlight use to be mandated?

If anyone disagrees with the laws in their state, they need to be taking that issue to their representatives and senators, not to an auto company. Tesla has virtually no say in the laws, the people do.

This is a car that Tesla represents as being FSD beta for tens or hundreds of thousands of owners including me in one more week and they have removed an important automation safety feature that was previously standard and almost every other car offers.

This is very true -- if Tesla is going to represent the car as being capable of FSD, then the car will have to perform this function itself. It's another example of how far away Level 4/5 FSD truly is.

Bern driving in heavy rain for 10 months thinking lights went on automatically when wipers on. it is the law in many states. Then I found that I can NOT turn headlights on manually with voice control. So I had to go thru 2 screens in a driving downpour with heavy traffic. Definitely a safety issue. Please either put the auto headlights back into the firmware or put voice control in for headlights. I can do lots of Stacy stuff with voice but not lights.

Agreed, the touch screen controls are more difficult to actuate than physical controls, and really for any safety-related control there should be a voice command in addition to a touch screen control.

However, currently there are driving conditions that require a safety-related action from the driver with no voice control that have not been automated in the past like the wipers/headlights combo. For example, fog lights. In dense fog, you'll have to turn your fog lights on (and perhaps your headlights if it's not dark) by yourself, the car has no automation for it. And indeed, headlights in fog is also required by law in 19 states (and headlights on in "adverse conditions" required in another 14). But there's no voice command for the fog lights either.

And the car's automation has shown no ability so far to react to foggy conditions, so there is a question of whether or not the car could even successfully accomplish identification of foggy conditions in order to react and turn on headlights and/or fog lights.

At this point, having to take driver action to turn on the headlights in addition to wipers is inconvenient, but no different than several other actions the driver is required to take under certain conditions. Certainly the control and voice control systems need more attention to detail and design, which is hardly unusual for Tesla, as they've never put forth anything in the human interface design that I would consider "good".

The same just happened to me yesterday in heavy rain and heavy traffic. I had a FHP cop behind me and I noticed that my headlights had not switched on like they normally do. If Florida that's the law and a ticketable offense. I tried a voice command because I didn't want to fiddle with the screen in traffic, but it didn't work (Network not available?). There needs to be a setting added to allow "automatic headlights in rain", but also doesn't activate just when you're activating the windshield washer.

Wouldn’t have mattered if the network were available, voice commanded headlights are not implemented. We can turn on our dome lights by voice even though they have physical controls but headlights require at least two screen (eyes off road) taps to adjust.

I have been very unhappy with Tesla’s voice command team and their lack of understanding about how that tool should be safety driven. Besides no headlights, they implemented then killed radio/TuneIn station selection, the text/call commands make you touch to pick either from a random list and/or from multiple numbers in a contact, the wiper commands don’t actually allow switching between intermittent and steady modes, and the feedback when a command isn’t available or understood has to be read off the screen.

Absolutely agree that a setting for auto lights with wipers should be added. Maybe it could have off/on/auto (based on geo-referenced legal database - FSD needs something like that for right turn on red, passing lane riding, unposted speed limits, etc.). That said, whether voice or top level icon, there needs to be a quick/safe way to temporarily override auto headlights while driving (maybe even long hold the left stalk in the same direction as the auto brights toggle).

Reactions: ss71
What about those people that don’t like their headlight use to be mandated?
Personally I safe tough beans. There is solid, proven evidence that clearly show that it is safer to have headlights on in the rain - it makes YOU more visible to OTHER drivers.

You are free to complain about it all you want while you do it (since West Virginia mandates it), but there is no LOGICAL reason for not doing it.

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
We have DRL in Canada and the other day I was driving a little drizzle (wiper turned on intermittently). My headlight was off. Later on during that drive, the rain became constant and the low beams turned on. They turned back off a few time after the rain stopped. Running V2021.32.21.

Another issue is that DRL do NOT activate the tail-lights. You are visible from the front with DRL's but not nearly as visible for drivers coming up behind you.
Ok, You got me on that one. As I have said, mine will come on from just the gloom but I have been told it is not universal.

When all is said and done, Not everyone will want to have this forced on them even though it is a good idea whether it is always necessary or not. How about fog? Are headlights not required for that? How about a rear fog lamp. Few cars have that.I have owned two cars with it and have used it.

Bottom line is you can use voice command to turn easily your headlights on without taking your eyes off of the road.

In some parts of the country/world, it can rain while still being a bright day. Additionally, in quite a few states, there is a law stating that if it is raining(or sometimes if your wipers are on), your headlights must be on, and DRL's don't count.
Yes it can rain on a bright day but deluges as is being mentioned nearly always means clouds full of rain i.e. dark clouds. Not making excuses for Tesla not turning lights on automatically but I cant remember seeing a deluge where I cant see, on a bright day?!

Reactions: Twiglett