Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto headlights with wipers function deleted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seriously you need release notes to tell you your lights are not on? Maybe you shouldn’t be driving.
Not sure why you feel the need to be so hostile.

When it's raining and it's daytime out, it's usually bright enough to not need headlights for your own vision reasons. It's mostly so that oncoming cars see your headlights, and cars behind you see your tailights, improving your visibility to others in inclement conditions. It's also the law in quite a few states!

Since it's usually bright enough outside that headlights don't add any additional visibility, the only way to determine if you're in compliance is through the instrument cluster. And, when the car handled this functionality for the past 3 years without a hitch, you assume that said functionality would continue to work unless otherwise stated. It's in my owners manual that the car is supposed to handle this! Hence, that, yes, we all eventually caught on to the car not doing this automatically anymore (hence the thread), but that we would've all loved release notes to tell us about our cars' new lack of functionality.

I could not find anywhere in my old copies of my manuals, all the way back to 2017, that says that there is (was?) automatic behavior for lights to turn on as soon as wipers where turned on. (yes, I kept the old versions :) )
Easily found were all the auto headlight and (beta) auto wiper, but nothing about the two being connected.

I ask this because my car does what @SylvainG mentioned, sometimes it seems to be that both wipers and lights come on at the same time, but looking back maybe it was that the lights came on just because it was darker, then the wipers came on because it was raining, so the two activated for their own reasons, but not activated by each other.
Which would explain looking for but not finding anything in the manuals. Granted mega downpours aren't that common here ;)

by the by - Tesla service is not exactly known for the accuracy of their statements.
Often the more outraged the customer, the more likely they are to get a placating "its not my fault, its the software" type of response.

Reactions: woolfe
I could not find anywhere in my old copies of my manuals, all the way back to 2017, that says that there is (was?) automatic behavior for lights to turn on as soon as wipers where turned on. (yes, I kept the old versions :) )
It was kind of difficult to find, but under the Wipers section of the manual, it states:

Note: When you operate the wipers, the headlights automatically turn on (if they were not on already)

I found a manual for 2020.4 and if you jump to page 65, you’ll see it in the top left quadrant of the page :)

If you jump to the latest manual, it seems like this wording is now removed. Which makes it feel like this was an intentional removal.

It was kind of difficult to find, but under the Wipers section of the manual, it states:

Note: When you operate the wipers, the headlights automatically turn on (if they were not on already)

I found a manual for 2020.4 and if you jump to page 65, you’ll see it in the top left quadrant of the page :)

If you jump to the latest manual, it seems like this wording is now removed. Which makes it feel like this was an intentional removal.
It's totally bewildering why this would have been removed and, even more so, why it was never announced in release notes. Even in locations where it is not required to turn on lights while wipers are on, there is never a reason NOT to have them on.

It's totally bewildering why this would have been removed and, even more so, why it was never announced in release notes. Even in locations where it is not required to turn on lights while wipers are on, there is never a reason NOT to have them on.
If the 3/Y had a stalk control for the headlights I'd be more okay with this. (But agreed about it belonging in the release notes!)

However since the headlight controls are on the touchscreen, 2 taps deep, they really, really should come on automatically whenever required (dark or wipers). Which they did until this change.

If the 3/Y had a stalk control for the headlights I'd be more okay with this. (But agreed about it belonging in the release notes!)

However since the headlight controls are on the touchscreen, 2 taps deep, they really, really should come on automatically whenever required (dark or wipers). Which they did until this change.
Or have "headlights on when wipers are on" be a user-settable option at the very least (default should be yes).

Or at a minimum there should be an option to add "headlights on/off" button to the configurable app bar. One touch to toggle them on/off and when you touch it the headlight submenu pops up if there are any other lighting related things you need to do. In Dec I was caught in a very sudden downpour, the wipers came on fine but the lights didn't and it was suboptimal, at best, to be poking for the lights while the wipers were going like mad and visibility dropped a ton.

Reactions: Msjulie and tm1v2

found it, thanks. It was in there on the 2018 versions as well so its was like that for quite a long while.

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
Easily found were all the auto headlight and (beta) auto wiper, but nothing about the two being connected.

I ask this because my car does what @SylvainG mentioned, sometimes it seems to be that both wipers and lights come on at the same time, but looking back maybe it was that the lights came on just because it was darker, then the wipers came on because it was raining, so the two activated for their own reasons, but not activated by each other.
Which would explain looking for but not finding anything in the manuals. Granted mega downpours aren't that common here ;)

by the by - Tesla service is not exactly known for the accuracy of their statements.
Often the more outraged the customer, the more likely they are to get a placating "its not my fault, its the software" type of response.
The replies from Tesla for service requests from different SCs for this issue by several posters with 3s and Ys we're word for word identical.

This problem is ongoing. Numerous Teslas in the DC area today without their lights on in heavy rain and dense road spray with limited visibility.

Headlights should be compulsory anytime the wipers are on or the car detects rain, even if the wipers aren’t on. The car did this (lights with wipers) for the first three years I owned it and now it doesn’t.

Windshield Wiper And Headlight Laws State-By-State

This problem is ongoing. Numerous Teslas in the DC area today without their lights on in heavy rain and dense road spray with limited visibility.

Headlights should be compulsory anytime the wipers are on or the car detects rain, even if the wipers aren’t on. The car did this (lights with wipers) for the first three years I owned it and now it doesn’t.

Windshield Wiper And Headlight Laws State-By-State
Yup. My 2018 Model 3 did it perfectly. My 2020 Model Y, stopped awhile ago. Very very annoying. It's a law, so it should just automatically go on (or give us an old school stalk).

I got some word from a Tesla tech that this feature is coming back in a future upgrade? Taking it with a grain of salt, but hopeful.

Attachments

• 424D93E6-9A46-4B63-ACE2-DDEEBAA60CFD.jpeg
    424D93E6-9A46-4B63-ACE2-DDEEBAA60CFD.jpeg
    238.5 KB · Views: 121
I got some word from a Tesla tech that this feature is coming back in a future upgrade? Taking it with a grain of salt, but hopeful.

If this gets fixed it will solve my biggest annoyance in seeing all the Tesla's around me not using their lights in the rain.

It makes us look like complete total idiots.

Sure we can turn them on ourselves, but it's not something you'd normally notice unless you knew of the issue and most Tesla owners don't seem to keep up. I'm pretty well informed about Tesla stuff, and I admit I didn't notice until I started seeing all the Tesla's around me not using their lights in the rain.

I've gotten used to turning lights on when its raining during the day, and leaving them on. When I get to my destination I ignore the beeping about the lights being on as it will automatically turn them off when I close the door after leaving.

I've concluded that zero auto functions of the car actually works.

auto-lights-> Nope
Auto-wipers -> Nope
Preconditioning for supercharging -> Nope (it's so badly broken)
TACC -> Nope
AP -> Nope

I think we should really push them on Auto-Lights so we can at least have one auto-function that works. In fact they can make it better than other auto makers by adding in minimum time to be on. So many autolights will turn on and off 10+ times in my 8 mile commute to work. My jeep does this, but at least my Jeep will turn them on when the wipers are on.

Lol to make the matter worse, Tesla removed the headlight card that showed when you toggled Auto High Beams. So now the only way to turn on headlights when driving is digging through the full menu, or flashing someone with real high beams to bring up the card.

This is insanely annoying. I keep forgetting, too. Every car I’ve had since 2010 onward has done this automatically for me. Why Tesla removed this functionality is beyond me.

Lol to make the matter worse, Tesla removed the headlight card that showed when you toggled Auto High Beams. So now the only way to turn on headlights when driving is digging through the full menu, or flashing someone with real high beams to bring up the card.

This is insanely annoying. I keep forgetting, too. Every car I’ve had since 2010 onward has done this automatically for me. Why Tesla removed this functionality is beyond me.

Still working for me on 2022.4.5.20. The auto brights need to be enabled (not armed) for it to work, though.

Reactions: woolfe
IIRC, .8 is the non-FSD track. Kind of interesting that driver controlled lights would be easier to reach in the build that’s geared toward autonomy.

Regardless, they definitely need to start programming traffic laws (local or lowest common denominator) into the system ASAP. Whether it’s no headlights for the rain sensors or delayed speed adjustment when approaching/passing sign (or following incorrect map data vs actual signs), “beta” equals ticketable and/or unsafe behavior. Give us adjustment settings in the profile, make it easier to override manually, or actually pay attention to our feedback.

It shouldn’t take an act of NHTSA to fix illegal software behavior.