Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto High Beam making Autosteer unusable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On vehicles manufactured after April 2022 (at least Model Y, probably others), engaging Autosteer automatically turns on the Auto High Beam. Unfortunately, during low traffic situations on the highway at night, this makes Autosteer completely unusable. We all know the reliability of High Beams and they turn on whenever they think there's no car in front of me, except there often is one not too far away, so other drivers get blinded and understandably angry.

Does anyone with a car made after April 2022 have this problem as well, and did you find a solution? It is not possible to disable Auto High Beams when on Autopilot so not sure what can be done, but it is terribly frustrating not to be able to use Autosteer at night because of this.

8B78D8F1-90A8-48CA-836A-1C6E21C8E376.jpeg

Reactions: amerimark
In my experience, you can simply turn off Auto High Beam by pushing the left hand stalk away from you, although it will turn on again if you disengage and then reengage Autopilot. I'm not sure whether that's where your issue lies, but that's how I've dealt with your concern.
Thank you, I will try this. However, the car turns on the High Beams almost instantly when engaging Autosteer, meaning I will probably be flashing my lights at other users anyway because of the split second it will take me to turn it off. I'm looking for a way to disable Auto High Beams entirely, but I guess that's not a possibility.

Thank you, I will try this. However, the car turns on the High Beams almost instantly when engaging Autosteer, meaning I will probably be flashing my lights at other users anyway because of the split second it will take me to turn it off. I'm looking for a way to disable Auto High Beams entirely, but I guess that's not a possibility.
If you push the stalk away from you, it won't flash the lights, so just give that a try. It only flashes the headlights if you pull it towards you. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to disable it by the looks of your screenshot. The Auto High Beam settings are in the lighting section of the settings menu though.

I have continued to see complaints about auto high beam and auto wipers, and it conflicts with my experience. Auto high beams, if anything, are overly conservative in that they revert to low beams even for some streetlights and reflective signs. I simply don't see them stay on high beams for any longer than I would if I was manually controlling them.

Could it just be a "style" difference in that you may typically shift to low beams at the very first glance of a vehicle, even though it really wouldn't be necessary to switch to low beams until you were much closer and pointed directly at the oncoming vehicle in question? (sometimes the lights stay on high beam even when in relative close proximity to oncoming vehicles, but on a tight curve where the headlights are actually pointing off the road and not at the oncoming vehicle).

Reactions: SDRick and Dewg
My auto high beams always turn on when other cars are nearby. It ruins the night driving experience because it constantly flashes higher then lower when cars are definitely in the “blinding range”.

Meanwhile, my 2020 GMC auto high beams work much better and can “see” cars a mile away it seems and turns them off in a mostly appropriate manner.

I have continued to see complaints about auto high beam and auto wipers, and it conflicts with my experience. Auto high beams, if anything, are overly conservative in that they revert to low beams even for some streetlights and reflective signs. I simply don't see them stay on high beams for any longer than I would if I was manually controlling them.

Could it just be a "style" difference in that you may typically shift to low beams at the very first glance of a vehicle, even though it really wouldn't be necessary to switch to low beams until you were much closer and pointed directly at the oncoming vehicle in question? (sometimes the lights stay on high beam even when in relative close proximity to oncoming vehicles, but on a tight curve where the headlights are actually pointing off the road and not at the oncoming vehicle).
You’re right in that it could be a matter of preference, but I’ve come across many drivers in headed in my direction that flash their lights due to Auto High Beam not switching to low beams soon enough for them.

I guess you could say that’s then not a problem I need to worry about, but I realized that if I were controlling it manually, I wouldn’t be waiting to switch to low beams so late. Other vehicles with the same system seem to function in manner that’s more comfortable for the driver as well as oncoming traffic.

This will essentially become a non-issue for owners of matrix headlights once Tesla activates them via a software update, which will focus light around oncoming traffic. A software update to improve the performance of Auto High Beam for the rest of us would be much appreciated though.
56ED530D-0E90-4348-B116-291FB0623C36.jpeg

Reactions: RTPEV
Auto High Beam is essentially worthless and at times dangerous - flashing at oncoming drivers who are already dimmed or refusing to go to high beam when you need them most. The real problems are not a "style" difference. Forcing Auto High Beam when using Autosteer was a big mistake Tesla needs to correct. Good grief, its not like you close your eyes and go to sleep with Autosteer. Rather, with Autosteer you could give better attention to the lights. About the only thing Auto High Beam does well is dim after someone passes you (going the same direction). Its a good thing we don't drive much at night.

Reactions: teslstronaut
Do exactly what? Push the turn signal lever toward the dash? And only right after engaging Autosteer? I tried all sorts of stuff last night but couldn't get it to stay off. (I don 't have FSD.)
Push the signal lever away from you once. That turns off auto high beam. And you only need to do it once whenever your AP turns on.

Yup, completely unnecessary step but kinda got used to it... 😄

Push the signal lever away from you once. That turns off auto high beam. And you only need to do it once whenever your AP turns on.
Yes, it shows it OFF but then I can't switch on high beams and it will engage again later - totally messed up system. It seems there's only two options:
  • Don't use Autosteer at night
  • Use it and have other drivers occasionally blinded and yourself frequently without high beams when you need them most

Yup, completely unnecessary step but kinda got used to it... 😄
But that also brings issues when you're in the opposite situation where there aren't any cars around and you want the high beams on. You can't force them on, you just have to accept Tesla's shitty implementation of auto highbeams. So whenever the car sees an exit sign being reflected back a little too strongly, it dips the headlights. I've basically resorted to just never using autopilot at night. It's too clunky.

What I find odd is my dad's refresh model X without radar does not enforce this behavior. He can leave auto highbeams off and control them manually just like the radar cars. I don't know why Elon decided to **** over us model 3/y owners.

But really it's too bad toolbox 3 doesn't allow us endusers to make configuration changes. I'd retrofit radar in a heart beat if they let us.

If you push the stalk away from you, it won't flash the lights, so just give that a try. It only flashes the headlights if you pull it towards you. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to disable it by the looks of your screenshot. The Auto High Beam settings are in the lighting section of the settings menu though.

Looks like you have an older model 3 so I don't think you've experienced what us radar-less cars have to deal with. Engaging autopilot automatically flips the auto highbeams on (as if you pushed the stalk forward while having auto highbeams enabled on your car). You can then dip the beam after engaging autopilot, but for that split second before you can do that, the high beams will trigger on if the car thinks its the right conditions for high beams to be on (which since it's a Tesla, it thinks it's appropriate to turn the high beams on even if there's a bunch of cars around you)

Last edited:
The auto high beams are illegal in how they operate.
I'm getting -very- discouraged with my 2nd model 3. Many "features" are very poorly done, and updates just make them worse.
Like driving an older car.....
bad maps? (check)
Bad audio interface? (check)
Bad fonts and no customization? (check)
Bad auto wipers? (check)
Bad auto high beams? (check)
Terrible menu system and settings? (check)
GIANT animation of my car driving for the kids? (check)

The physical driving experience is great (2nd to none), but this gets seriously hampered by so many faults that just keep growing with poor software designed by interns and undereducated UI folks.

I have 2022.24.5 on my Vision-Only 2021 MY (manufactured after May 2021 so auto high beams are activated with Autopilot at night).

Last night when driving home on a 100km trip, I experienced how poor the auto high beams implementation is. Although it was slightly better than what I previously experienced, with less "flashing" than usual (when high beams turn on and immediately off), I had to turn them off myself more often than not when I felt guilty of blinding other drivers and the system turned high beams off too late in my opinion.

Yet, I could have used Autopilot for the rest of my trip, but I realized that auto wipers implementation is even worse... as in WAY worse than auto high beams. Clear sky, not a single cloud, but wipers were always on,. Eventually I had to disable autopilot for the rest of my trip home; all it did was splashing insects all over my windshield while driving me nuts.

I can just hope auto high beams and auto-wipers will eventually become on option in a future software update, once Tesla Vision is more mature, maybe. My M3 (radar) doesn't need high beams nor auto wipers to drive on Autopilot at night, and it's a breeze...

Let's all ask Elon on Twitter to stop this non-sense! :rolleyes: