Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto high beams and auto wipers worse on 2022 than 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weird. I am getting auto high beams and auto wipers at the correct times. Just yesterday it was starting to mist and the wipers came on when there were a few drops, and went off after it stopped. Same with high beams - city streets, they go on when no oncoming traffic, go off when someone appears in front of me. Both of these are with and without AP.

Manually activate high beams then. You are not going to outdrive your low beams below 50mph. You only need high beams when driving faster than your stopping distance. Yes, it's a speed thing.

Someone said I can deactivate my high beams after they auto activate by pushing forward on the turn signal stock, but that does not work in my car. Approaching cars are flashing their high beams at me. Someone on my HOA Facebook page posted that cars should not be driving in the neighborhood with their high beams on, that it shines in their windows. I don't want the HOA mad at me.

I'm getting a lot of road rage with these auto high beams and the phantom braking.

You enable autopilot in residential streets?

Manually activate high beams then. You are not going to outdrive your low beams below 50mph. You only need high beams when driving faster than your stopping distance. Yes, it's a speed thing.

Someone said I can deactivate my high beams after they auto activate by pushing forward on the turn signal stock, but that does not work in my car. Approaching cars are flashing their high beams at me. Someone on my HOA Facebook page posted that cars should not be driving in the neighborhood with their high beams on, that it shines in their windows. I don't want the HOA mad at me.

I'm getting a lot of road rage with these auto high beams and the phantom braking.
I disagree here. On country roads you need high beams to see deer and such.

My auto wipers seem to be operating nominally in my 2022. They slow and speed up as expected. The only thing I don't like is that I need to push in the wiper button the steeing column stalk to trigger them to start working initially.

The wipers (on my 2021 Model 3) are more aggressive than I would wipe manually, but it works fine for me. Keep in mind it works based on the cameras, so its goal is keeping the view of those cameras clear. That means even if the windshield does not necessarily need much wiping, it may be fairly aggressive in wiping.

I guess theoretically Tesla can make a separate mode that is for manual driving that is tuned differently, but I doubt they bothered doing that.

Reactions: .Slug
The wipers (on my 2021 Model 3) are more aggressive than I would wipe manually, but it works fine for me. Keep in mind it works based on the cameras, so its goal is keeping the view of those cameras clear. That means even if the windshield does not necessarily need much wiping, it may be fairly aggressive in wiping.

I guess theoretically Tesla can make a separate mode that is for manual driving that is tuned differently, but I doubt they bothered doing that.

In my car the wipers are severely under aggressive.

The cameras used to enable/disable the wipers are just too high mounted and too close to the glass, that's why we all experience these inconsistency. They don't reflect what the driver sees, because with the cameras mounted higher, they get different airflow than the area the driver sees through. The rain drops are extremely close to the camera, so depending on what lighting conditions are like, it may not even notice the rain drops that a driver would, or one big drop might trigger it, even though the windshield is mostly clear. The drops are out of the cameras' focal range. True rain sensors should have been a hard requirement, they work perfectly in every other vehicle I've driven with them.

A dedicated wiper stalk would be very helpful too, or at a minimum a way to toggle through the wiper modes with the button.

Also OP did not understand what I said about the high beam stalk. You can for sure turn off the high beams once autopilot is activated, by pressing forward on the stalk. That turns off auto high beams for that exact session of autopilot. They will come back on if you turn autopilot off, then back on again though, so that trick only works as long as you keep autopilot enabled and don't manually take over driving. You can't say that doesn't work on your car, we all have the same cars with Tesla Vision. You either aren't understanding or want to continue the thread despite a dirty solution being posted.

Every time I enable auotpilot on my car, I instantly push forward on the stalk so I don't have to deal with the bullshit auto high beams.

In my car the wipers are severely under aggressive.

The cameras used to enable/disable the wipers are just too high mounted and too close to the glass, that's why we all experience these inconsistency. They don't reflect what the driver sees, because with the cameras mounted higher, they get different airflow than the area the driver sees through. The rain drops are extremely close to the camera, so depending on what lighting conditions are like, it may not even notice the rain drops that a driver would, or one big drop might trigger it, even though the windshield is mostly clear. The drops are out of the cameras' focal range. True rain sensors should have been a hard requirement, they work perfectly in every other vehicle I've driven with them.

A dedicated wiper stalk would be very helpful too, or at a minimum a way to toggle through the wiper modes with the button.
I need to caveat my take with the fact I am the type that prefers not to wipe unless absolutely necessary. People with different preferences would have a different take.

Note a lot of the problems you talk about apply also to traditional dedicated rain sensors, they tend to be mounted at similar locations (although typically a bit lower) and only sample a relatively small area of the glass. The advantage is they are "focused" right at the glass, so they are very sensitive to the amount of water on the glass. As you mention, the cameras are not focused on the glass and may not notice rain drops a driver would easily notice.

I agree a way to toggle wiper modes would be quite helpful to address people's needs. Like even something like a double tap to cycle through speeds would be helpful.

I have two 3's, an April-18 delivery and a July-18 ver (with the V2 seats).

The high beams on the April delivery work as one might expect. The car delivered 3 months later turns on high beams in the city under big yellow street lights with oncoming cars not far away. The wipers on teh later ver are slow to go on -- I have to turn them on manually during heavy fog which drips on the windshield -- but when they finally turn themselves on Automatically, they wipe like crazy, even during light drizzle.

So its just not the newer cars.

That's the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard. So you're saying if I'm on a dark road at 25mph the low beams brighten the environment as well as the high beams? LOL. You may not like it and that's fine. But that doesn't mean you can deny science.

They do need to fix your car...not deprive the rest of us of useful functionality.

@Maxpilot does indicate he's in Kansas, so I'm guessing there's a big perception gulf between mostly plains and mostly forested areas in regards to the need for high beams.
We have trees in Kansas. Ha!

I did not say you don't need highbeams to see deer or whatever out in the country. When out in the country turn them on. I'm saying the AUTO highbeams should not activate below a certain speed, such as 50mph.

Reactions: XPsionic
That's the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard. So you're saying if I'm on a dark road at 25mph the low beams brighten the environment as well as the high beams? LOL. You may not like it and that's fine. But that doesn't mean you can deny science.

They do need to fix your car...not deprive the rest of us of useful functionality.
I did not say not to use your highbeams when you need to. I said that AUTO highbeams should not activate below a certain speed. I'm not denying science. You need to improve your reading comprehension.

Reactions: XPsionic
The auto high beams are horrible. They turn down when it's perfectly dark outside with no oncoming cars, yet when there really are cars they don't turn down till very close sometimes. The auto wipers are horrible in that they run at a fast speed than it needs to. I don't need it running full blast in a drizzle.

I turn them both off to manual mode. Didn't have those anyway in my last car.

I'm not getting what you mean. You can always choose to not use the high beams even when it set to auto. Has no one here drove a Japanese car before with a multifunction stalk? Push forward to turn on high beams, pull back to flash someone. It functions similar in a Tesla.

The stalk controls the high beams. Push forward for (ON/Auto) or (OFF). If your high beams are set to auto, AND then you turn on the high beams via the stalk, the high beams will turn on in dark areas above 15mph. NOW the issue is that when driving when you have the high beams on AND it is set to auto mode, it should be AUTOMATICALLY flipping the high beams to low beams when 1) it sees oncoming traffic coming, 2) approaching a car in front of you.

The issue for me is that it doesn't do these two jobs well at all. It sometimes thinks it sees oncoming traffic and turn down the high beams for no reason OR there's really oncoming traffic and it refuses to turn down the lights till they are very close (which makes it useless). Turning down when approching cars from the back has been working flawlessly for me.

I'm not getting what you mean. You can always choose to not use the high beams even when it set to auto. Has no one here drove a Japanese car before with a multifunction stalk? Push forward to turn on high beams, pull back to flash someone. It functions similar in a Tesla.

The stalk controls the high beams. Push forward for (ON/Auto) or (OFF). If your high beams are set to auto, AND then you turn on the high beams via the stalk, the high beams will turn on in dark areas above 15mph. NOW the issue is that when driving when you have the high beams on AND it is set to auto mode, it should be AUTOMATICALLY flipping the high beams to low beams when 1) it sees oncoming traffic coming, 2) approaching a car in front of you.

The issue for me is that it doesn't do these two jobs well at all. It sometimes thinks it sees oncoming traffic and turn down the high beams for no reason OR there's really oncoming traffic and it refuses to turn down the lights till they are very close (which makes it useless). Turning down when approching cars from the back has been working flawlessly for me.
Mine does not work like that. I have the FSD Beta and it automatically turned on Auto high beams in settings. When my high beams activate, pushing forward on the turn signal stalk does not deactivate them. I'm probably doing something wrong. I agree with you, it does not work well at all.