Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any news? Did the replacement fix the issue for you?
Had to postpone. When I went in (at 1:30), I was informed they would need the car until the next day to complete it (I guess they just expected me to stay at my office overnight). So I rescheduled for this Wednesday when I will drop it off at 7:45 so they can complete it same day.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Upvote 0
Got my car back Thursday morning after they kept it overnight (even after I brought it in when they opened Wednesday morning).

I had two wipe cycles on my drive home Thursday, though the first one was at a weird spot where it always does (if I am in one of two lanes on a six-lane freeway - never been able to figure that out!) and the second was about a half mile later. After that, I drive to work and back on Friday (about 44 miles R/T) and then drive about 175 miles on the freeway over the weekend (had to go see Mom!) with most of it on AP and did not have one single cycle.

We'll see how it goes, but there may be something to this cleaning inside the windshield in front of the camera as @Fidzio posted on the previous page.

A friend of mine with a M3 went to a service centre (in Canada :)) and complained about the wipers coming on when the windshield was clean and dry. They removed the cover from the windshield camera and cleaned the INSIDE of the windshield in front of the camera lens and he claims that the problem went away.

Upvote 0
Can I do that cleaning myself? Quite annoying to have the ww coming on for no reason.
Based on what some have said here and in other threads, it sounds like you can - you would just need to figure out how to pop off the cover and put it back on.

But IMO, it's a waste of time: the wipers were still the same after the windshield was changed. However, they SEEM to be getting better with each firmware update - I think I am not getting as many false wipes as before. We took a 2,000 mile road trip last month and I don't recall any issues with it then.

Upvote 0
Based on what some have said here and in other threads, it sounds like you can - you would just need to figure out how to pop off the cover and put it back on.

But IMO, it's a waste of time: the wipers were still the same after the windshield was changed. However, they SEEM to be getting better with each firmware update - I think I am not getting as many false wipes as before. We took a 2,000 mile road trip last month and I don't recall any issues with it then.
In your case given it happened in the same spot, it's likely a light pattern that triggers it instead of the housing be in dirty.

Of course sometimes even with a windshield swap the new housing might have water marks too. Best way is to shine a bright light at an angle to see if there is a haze or water marks inside the glass. If there aren't any, then it's not the windshield problem.

Upvote 0
In your case given it happened in the same spot, it's likely a light pattern that triggers it instead of the housing be in dirty.
No, in my case, as in the case of everyone else, is that it is crappy software. Period: end of discussion.

While I did have a specific spot it seemed to do it frequently, it wasn't the only spot. If a slight haze from a less than perfectly cleaned window triggered it, then this is a software deficiency - even if cleaning the windshield "made the problem go away." Because the problem came back. Heck: even Elon acknowledged that there is is software issue.

Now, as I mentioned, it SEEMS to be getting better with the last update or two (I am currently on 2023.26.9). Yesterday, it didn't happen in my frequent spot (in one of the "bad" lane) and it has been at least a couple of weeks since I had a false wipe anywhere.

Upvote 0
No, in my case, as in the case of everyone else, is that it is crappy software. Period: end of discussion.

While I did have a specific spot it seemed to do it frequently, it wasn't the only spot. If a slight haze from a less than perfectly cleaned window triggered it, then this is a software deficiency - even if cleaning the windshield "made the problem go away." Because the problem came back. Heck: even Elon acknowledged that there is is software issue.

Now, as I mentioned, it SEEMS to be getting better with the last update or two (I am currently on 2023.26.9). Yesterday, it didn't happen in my frequent spot (in one of the "bad" lane) and it has been at least a couple of weeks since I had a false wipe anywhere.
Well, for some people clearing the haze/water marks fixed it for them, so it's not always down to "crappy software".

Upvote 0
Well, for some people clearing the haze/water marks fixed it for them, so it's not always down to "crappy software".
And I'll bet for many (most?) the problem came back.

Regardless, even if it WAS haze or water marks, this STILL is a software issue: it should be able to determine if there is what it is seeing is actually rain (requiring action) or just these issues (which most likely are not causing an issue).

Software issue

Reactions: SVMike
Upvote 0
And I'll bet for many (most?) the problem came back.

Regardless, even if it WAS haze or water marks, this STILL is a software issue: it should be able to determine if there is what it is seeing is actually rain (requiring action) or just these issues (which most likely are not causing an issue).

Software issue
Nope, even normal rain sensors can fail if the inside glass gets dirty enough, not hard to Google:

It's not always down to software.

As for whether it will come back, it depends on if the haze/water marks was from factory and what caused them. If it was because the unit has a leak, then it may come back. If it was that way from factory (or from other one time installs like tinting), then it's unlikely to come back any time soon.

I would not assume just because windshield was replaced that that the glass panel was necessarily clean inside. I see even in the accounts above people have more problems after a windshield replacement (but in their case the installs neglected to install the gel pad).

Upvote 0
Having your wipers run on a dry windshield occasionally isn't typically a major concern. However, doing so frequently can lead to premature wear of the wiper blades, as the friction is higher on a dry surface than when it's wet. Additionally, running wipers on a dry windshield can potentially scratch the glass if there's any dust or debris present.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Upvote 0
In the last couple weeks (2 software upgrades), the wipers have come on randomly even when OFF. Also, they do way too many sweeps after using the washers, even when switched OFF.

Yesterday the wipers activated for twenty swipes (with long delays between each swipe) or so with the windshield totally dry. I confirmed that the glass and passenger wiper were clean.

Question: How bad is it to have wipers running on a dry windshield?
Which is just the opposite of what I have been experiencing: the false wipes have happening LESS frequently for me (currently on 2023.26.9).

Not at all saying you aren't experiencing problems: just interesting that we're having such different experiences.

Upvote 0
This is driving me nuts for a while. I actually think it used to work better.

Sometimes the wipers come on when it is absolutely dry. e.g. yesterday, car parked, I got in, wipers came on for a dual swipe.
On the other hand when it is raining, sometimes wipers do not come on. e.g. today, it was raining, got in my car and nothing

Upvote 0