Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Homelink issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have skipped and it still works fine.

As have I

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry Cyclone, I switch profiles few times a week and auto-open and auto-close work 100% of the time.

No need to apologize. I was just saying that it always works for me and I don't switch profiles, so perhaps it was worth checking. In essence, you've done that as you switched profiles before. The last time I switched profiles was Christmas Day, so not something I would ever picked up on. :)

Mine works now...

On a whim I decided to reset my Homelink location using the "reset location" function underneath the check boxes, but farther down the driveway and further from my eventual parked position than before. Voila! Now auto-open works without doing any tricks. It seems to want at least one car length between the point at which you set your location and the point at which you park your car. I'll be leaving again soon and will let you know if it continues to function.

On a whim I decided to reset my Homelink location using the "reset location" function underneath the check boxes, but farther down the driveway and further from my eventual parked position than before. Voila! Now auto-open works without doing any tricks. It seems to want at least one car length between the point at which you set your location and the point at which you park your car. I'll be leaving again soon and will let you know if it continues to function.
what about auto-close, does it work consistently now?

ln SF, the auto open/close function seems to work fine. In Sonoma, where I have both a gate and a garage, the location reset does a terrible job, even when auto open/close for the gate is not enabled. There seems to be some serious software issues -- perhaps where there is more than one device. The reset location function seems to be ignored. I reset it, but then the auto-open says I'm 40' away when I'm 90' away, and sends the signal to open while I'm still out of range. I reported at length to Tesla today

ln SF, the auto open/close function seems to work fine. In Sonoma, where I have both a gate and a garage, the location reset does a terrible job, even when auto open/close for the gate is not enabled. There seems to be some serious software issues -- perhaps where there is more than one device. The reset location function seems to be ignored. I reset it, but then the auto-open says I'm 40' away when I'm 90' away, and sends the signal to open while I'm still out of range. I reported at length to Tesla today

That sure sounds like an incomplete lock of the GPS signal either when the reset was done, or when triggering auto Homelink.

Auto Homelink has been working well for me...too well! Last night I realized as I was pulling out of the garage in the P85D that I'd forgotten to change out of my indoor shoes before leaving the house. So I stopped, put it in reverse, and backed right into the descending garage door. :redface:

In my defense, it was nighttime, and I always use a combination of my driver's side rearview mirror (pointed down at the pavement when in reverse) and my backup camera to align myself with the garage opening, so I didn't see the garage door descending in the back hatch window. The lip of the descending door caught the hatch on the vertical surface just below the transition from the sloping hatch top to the rear of the hatch. The car probably traveled eight inches or so before I got it stopped, during which time the garage door reversed itself and scraped over the lip and across the hatch lid surface before lifting off the paint. Amazingly, I can see no dents or dings to the aluminum, and only a couple of divots through the clear coat; the rest of the damage is limited to paint transfer from the door to the car and light scratches in the clear coat: that's got to be one of the strongest parts of the aluminum body, with its deep bends and compound curves. The garage door has two trashed panels, some bent stringers on the inside and a couple of the idlers popped out of the tracks at the bottom of the door. The latter no doubt saved me from more serious body damage.

I already have a body shop appointment to repair the damage some bozo did to the right rear in a parking lot hit-and-run. I guess I'll be calling the shop on Monday to give them the good news that I'll be spending more of my money with them...

20160213-IMG_8084.jpg

20160213-IMG_8077.jpg

20160213-IMG_8075.jpg

20160213-IMG_8080.jpg

When I first got the new software for auto homelink it worked perfectly for auto open but almost never for auto close. I changed by GPS point to just outside the door. This got the auto close to 50% or so. Since then, it has improved seemingly on a daily basis to where it is now 100% on auto close and open. I don't know if it has a learning function but it seems to for me. I always open the garage door with the wall switch. Really love this new feature. Thanks, again, Tesla for making making my car better than when I bought it!

Auto Homelink has been working well for me...too well! Last night I realized as I was pulling out of the garage in the P85D that I'd forgotten to change out of my indoor shoes before leaving the house. So I stopped, put it in reverse, and backed right into the descending garage door. :redface:

In my defense, it was nighttime, and I always use a combination of my driver's side rearview mirror (pointed down at the pavement when in reverse) and my backup camera to align myself with the garage opening, so I didn't see the garage door descending in the back hatch window. The lip of the descending door caught the hatch on the vertical surface just below the transition from the sloping hatch top to the rear of the hatch. The car probably traveled eight inches or so before I got it stopped, during which time the garage door reversed itself and scraped over the lip and across the hatch lid surface before lifting off the paint. Amazingly, I can see no dents or dings to the aluminum, and only a couple of divots through the clear coat; the rest of the damage is limited to paint transfer from the door to the car and light scratches in the clear coat: that's got to be one of the strongest parts of the aluminum body, with its deep bends and compound curves. The garage door has two trashed panels, some bent stringers on the inside and a couple of the idlers popped out of the tracks at the bottom of the door. The latter no doubt saved me from more serious body damage.

I already have a body shop appointment to repair the damage some bozo did to the right rear in a parking lot hit-and-run. I guess I'll be calling the shop on Monday to give them the good news that I'll be spending more of my money with them...

Steve, I cringed at those photos, but I'm happy that its most paint transfer and a bit on the clear coat. Much better than actual scratches (on the car at least).

Thanks, Cyclone. I'm quite amazed at how much damage I did to the house compared to the (relatively minor) damage to the car. Complex curves are strong!

Also real sorry to see/read this Steve. Compound curves are real strong for sure. Just glad no one was hurt by trying to intercede between garage door and car - like a did when my wife was backing up (hint: rather than shout at person reversing car (from behind said car) and then jump out of the way, do it in reverse order ;-))

Good luck with the repair and I'm hoping there's no aluminum damage.