Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Homelink issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've tried all of the suggestions here and nothing works, so I've taken another member's advice and disabled the function for now. Tesla really needs to get its sh1t together on software. This is totally unacceptable.

I don't blame you, even with all the testing that i have done, today it stopped working and i had a difficult time making it work again. By chance, i was sitting in the car for about 1 minute before i took off and, all of the sudden it started working again.

- - - Updated - - -

PaulR, you mentioned MyQ before i did. I wanted to support you.

If I had to place a wager right now, I'd bet that your waiting a little longer solves the problem.

I'll take that bet (the usual bet Mortimer?) ;-)

I took the advice to try waiting. <SNIP>

The home button was showing (but no skip etc.) as soon as I turned the car on
Never saw the Auto close info, no skip button, nothing
I backed out and once again had to manually click the homelink button to close the door.

Though I never actually accepted the bet, if we ever meet, MikeBur, I'll pay you a dollar!

[...]
--Many think that whether autoclose works or not is connected to GPS, and how quickly the car gets a GPS reading after starting up. If autoclose is not working for you, note whether or not homelink automatically is offering you the option for your garage door (meaning it knows where you are) when you need to manually close it, or whether you have to actually start from scratch, and press the homelink button to bring up the homelink options to manually close the door.
in my case whenever auto-close doesn't work it's the former (underlined above) ie manual Homelink is still offered, so my car clearly knows where it is. I have never gotten into my car in my garage and NOT seen the "Home" Homelink button lit up in green. So I don't think this alone is the problem...

I took the advice to try waiting.

Opened the door using the wall button, took my time unplugging the car before even getting in (>1min)
Waited in car for >1min, turned the car on with the brake pedal
Waited > 1min before selecting reverse

I backed out and once again had to manually click the homelink button to close the door.
[...]

In the past few days, I've also been testing the suggestion of waiting with a delay between the time I start the car/press the brake and when I put it into reverse. Following the same procedure described by RichardL above at first seemed to solve the problem since I actually got auto-close to work a couple times in a row (it had only worked 3 times total in the whole 2 weeks prior). However today following this same procedure before leaving, auto-close once again failed, in fact it failed on two separate attempts at different times during the day. To complicate things, coming home tonight auto-open also failed! So unclear whether adding a delay really helped with anything or just coincidental.

So the only consistent thing about auto-Homelink is that it continues to be totally inconsistent and unreliable - at least for me (and a few others) particularly the auto-close. Even if it works flawlessly for some people, it's very clear there's some work to be done on the software.

This discussion has been interesting but is mostly speculation and guesses so not likely to yield many solid answers. It is interesting to see all of the different experiments people are doing (we haven't yet tried arm or tongue waving but it's only a matter of time).
I did suggest waving a rubber chicken several posts ago, but haven't gotten around to actually trying that yet. I'm guessing it may work as well as any of the other ideas so far...

Close call garage door

I have experienced the seemingly random behavior, sometimes work/sometimes not, on both auto close on exit and auto open on arrival experienced by many folks on this thread. However, what happened today could have been much worse.

I was running a little late, so I jumped into the car in the garage, and quickly backed out with the garage door open without paying attention. As my car cleared the door I noticed a funny noise from the door opening mechanism. I looked back into the garage and saw the warning flashing from the overheadd light. The door had been signaled to close while the car was still underneath, and the safety light beam had aborted the door closing.

All other times I have gotten the "door close - skip" display and it has not triggered until my car is perhaps 20 feet outside the garage.

I have not read all of this thread, so perhaps others have reported this.

This was unacceptable, scary. I have turned off both the auto close and auto open until the firmware gets improved.

I took the advice to try waiting.

Opened the door using the wall button, took my time unplugging the car before even getting in (>1min)
Waited in car for >1min, turned the car on with the brake pedal
Waited > 1min before selecting reverse

So scratch that off the list - next try is to open the door with the homelink prior to turning on the car - although my wife has never, ever done that and it seems counter to a lot of what people have been saying here.

It baffles me what the secret recipe is...

I'm guessing your wife uses a different driver profile, correct? I don't think anyone has yet suggested that the bugginess / inconsistencies might be related to driver profiles in some way. Just for kicks, see what happens if you try using her driver profile. (But no, I won't be wagering on the outcome this time!)

I'm seeing several different types of failure UX, so I get the feeling my failures are being caused by different issues.
* sometimes the home link menu doesn't come up
* sometimes the menu does come up, but looks like and acts like pre7.1
* sometimes the menu does come up and includes the message "skipping auto close" without saying why.

As such there are at least 3 different issues effecting me so:
* it is really difficult to get everything right, I can't just fix one thing
* people on this forum are finding different solutions because they have different problems
(Someone earlier mentioned the blind men and the elephant)
I wish the error messages were more helpful as to why it is skipping, and I wish there was documentation on the causes of it to fail. The current situation is obviously driving a lot of people insane.

I'm seeing several different types of failure UX, so I get the feeling my failures are being caused by different issues.

* sometimes the menu does come up and includes the message "skipping auto close" without saying why.

Are you sure this one isn't the one that is offering to let you skip auto-close if you want to? Does it show the countdown distance to when it will trigger the auto-close? The only screen related to this I've ever seen or heard of that includes the word "skip" is the one that indicates auto-open or auto-close is about to work properly.

One last ditch effort: delete homelink setup on all profile, save the profile without the homelink, and reboot your S. Thereafter, setup homelink for only one garage door, the one where your S park, and enable auto-open and auto-close. I am incline to believe there could be a bug and hopefully starting fresh may clear that bug hiding somewhere in cache. MikeBur reported that pressing skip when presented caused him to lose auto-close for a period of time.

I'm guessing your wife uses a different driver profile, correct? I don't think anyone has yet suggested that the bugginess / inconsistencies might be related to driver profiles in some way. Just for kicks, see what happens if you try using her driver profile. (But no, I won't be wagering on the outcome this time!)

Just to note that in all my uses (again, 100% successful) did NOT involve changing any profiles. So perhaps part of the stars and planets lining up for auto Homelink to work could get messed up with a profile change. Worth it to see if not switching the profile improves success.

I don't think Profiles are part of the challenge -- or at least not consistently part of the problem for everyone. Due to lack of easy enter/exit on my MS, I use a profile named Exit that I engage before I get out, and put my own profile back in place once I get back into my MS. I have dual garage doors, can use my wall switch or Homelink icon to open the door when either profile is active; back out, and my correct door will always auto-close; upon return it always auto-opens; I pull in, park, generally use the Homelink icon to close the door (but can also use the wall switch) -- with either profile --. I'm not consistent at all which profile is active when auto-close takes place -- I've even backed-up when the exit profile is active, and the door closed like it should and re-opened upon my return when my profile was active.

The whole thing is crazy as to why mine and a few others seem to work as well as it does (except with Summon), while other owners are having nothing but trouble.

Just to note that in all my uses (again, 100% successful) did NOT involve changing any profiles. So perhaps part of the stars and planets lining up for auto Homelink to work could get messed up with a profile change. Worth it to see if not switching the profile improves success.
Sorry Cyclone, I switch profiles few times a week and auto-open and auto-close work 100% of the time.
My guess is:
Prior to auto homelink we are used to closing the garage door manually from the homelink when we leave home. This can become a habit. Hence it is possible that with that habit while auto-close is counting down, one accidentally press the skip (which is a no - no for planets and stars alignment) it disables the auto-close until we find a way to realign the planets (i.e. clear the bug). Hence my suggestion at #351

Are you sure this one isn't the one that is offering to let you skip auto-close if you want to? Does it show the countdown distance to when it will trigger the auto-close? The only screen related to this I've ever seen or heard of that includes the word "skip" is the one that indicates auto-open or auto-close is about to work properly.
I'm sure... I have seen it work and show the distance with the option to "skip auto close" ... But this was definitely "skipping" and no distance.

I'm sure... I have seen it work and show the distance with the option to "skip auto close" ... But this was definitely "skipping" and no distance.

OK.

Then could this be related to the identified bug where if you have ever "skipped" the car keeps skipping for a while? The suggestion to wipe everything out and start from scratch sounds like a good one!

before you delete everything though just try the step of clearing, then setting, the auto-close check box on the Homelink settings page. It will look like it is already checked, though just do it.

I am now >80% confident there's a bug with this that causes auto-close to be skipped every time when it us skipped once.

it could well be another bug, though I now have this working 100% of the time

before you delete everything though just try the step of clearing, then setting, the auto-close check box on the Homelink settings page. It will look like it is already checked, though just do it.

I am now >80% confident there's a bug with this that causes auto-close to be skipped every time when it us skipped once.

it could well be another bug, though I now have this working 100% of the time
I have skipped and it still works fine.