Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Insurance for Model 3 in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just signed up with Co-operators insurance for my vehicle. They asked the purchase price of the car with taxes which is approximately $83k (long range, premium, colour paint, auto pilot). $1499 a year. $2 million liability limit, $2000 collision deductible , $1500 comprehensive deductible, Loss of Use $1000 per occurrence, 2 years waiver of depreciation, and some other coverages.

I asked if they have a lower deductible but due to the cost of the vehicle, that was the minimum amount available for my $83k car.

Reactions: Viv ki Bijli
I'm not entirely sure about that.

Last week, I got a quote from Johnson's for a Model S 75 for $1,841(this is with a group discount). Yesterday, I called them with the VIN and they were able to give the quote for the Model 3 and it was $2,087 !!!! Why is it higher? The broker could not give me an answer (all the options were the same).

Got a quote from CAA (my current provider) for a Model S 75 (bundled with a second car and home insurance), $1253. I'm hoping that when CAA puts the Model 3 in their system it won't change the quote too much.
Others will likely be able to get a better deal (I'm in Brampton :()

• Informative
Reactions: Tony_YYZ
I got a good deal with TD, 215/month bundled with "tenant" insurance. It turns out that it's cheaper to bundle it because it offers another 15% off the car insurance. Weird how their discount structure works. Not complaining though! $1000 less than all the other quotes I've gotten.

Are you with TDMM or TD? I called yesterday and the M3 wasn't on their system yet.

The agent helped me push the VIN through for now as a Model S70. He was very helpful and stacked a bunch of discounts (40%) off the original quote. Now on top of car insurance, I'm insured for 25000 of personal property theft/fire/etc. damage as a tenant.

The temp paper has my VIN on it though. We'll see what happens.

P.S. Getting tenant coverage with minimal package = savings.

Reactions: McCaesar
Just signed up with Co-operators insurance for my vehicle. They asked the purchase price of the car with taxes which is approximately $83k (long range, premium, colour paint, auto pilot). $1499 a year. $2 million liability limit, $2000 collision deductible , $1500 comprehensive deductible, Loss of Use $1000 per occurrence, 2 years waiver of depreciation, and some other coverages.

I asked if they have a lower deductible but due to the cost of the vehicle, that was the minimum amount available for my $83k car.
Funny, I have nearly the same with Aviva, only my deductable is $500. That’s for my X of course, with its $154k price. Might wanna poke those guys a little more.

The agent helped me push the VIN through for now as a Model S70. He was very helpful and stacked a bunch of discounts (40%) off the original quote. Now on top of car insurance, I'm insured for 25000 of personal property theft/fire/etc. damage as a tenant.

The temp paper has my VIN on it though. We'll see what happens.

P.S. Getting tenant coverage with minimal package = savings.
CAUTION ON TD MELOCHE MONNEX --- Just had to deal with a last minute urgent issue because of TD Meloche Monnex. As described above, they had to issue me insurance for the Model S 70D because they don't have the Model 3 in the system. I forwarded my insurance to TESLA to prepare for the delivery date and they called me back saying it was not acceptable. They insisted on having insurance for the Model 3...not Model S. They said I would not be allowed to pick up the car without this being resolved.
So, I called TD Meloche Monnex and described the challenge I was having. They ended up overriding the model name and VIN so that my insurance would indeed list a Model 3 and show my VIN. They will load the actual model onto my insurance and adjust the rate once it is in the system.
I will be sending this to TESLA tonight and I am hoping this satisfies their requirement.
I wanted to post this here so people don't show up on delivery date with insurance listing the model S....and be denied....that would SUCK!

CAUTION ON TD MELOCHE MONNEX --- Just had to deal with a last minute urgent issue because of TD Meloche Monnex. As described above, they had to issue me insurance for the Model S 70D because they don't have the Model 3 in the system. I forwarded my insurance to TESLA to prepare for the delivery date and they called me back saying it was not acceptable. They insisted on having insurance for the Model 3...not Model S. They said I would not be allowed to pick up the car without this being resolved.
So, I called TD Meloche Monnex and described the challenge I was having. They ended up overriding the model name and VIN so that my insurance would indeed list a Model 3 and show my VIN. They will load the actual model onto my insurance and adjust the rate once it is in the system.
I will be sending this to TESLA tonight and I am hoping this satisfies their requirement.
I wanted to post this here so people don't show up on delivery date with insurance listing the model S....and be denied....that would SUCK!

Who are you sending it to? I just got the printed confirmation of insurance and a 30 day pink slip of insurance with Jun 5 delivery date, Model 3, VIN etc. from my insurance company. Can’t submit online as it shows green and completed.
Or maybe this happens closer to delivery?

Who are you sending it to? I just got the printed confirmation of insurance and a 30 day pink slip of insurance with Jun 5 delivery date, Model 3, VIN etc. from my insurance company. Can’t submit online as it shows green and completed.
Or maybe this happens closer to delivery?
I sent it in to my delivery agent at Tesla who assigned the delivery date. When picking my delivery date, I told him that I had loaded my current insurance on my profile (wanted to make sure I did it properly). He said that was the correct thing to do since you cant get insurance until you have the delivery date. He said I should send a copy of the insurance (for the Tesla) to him since that is one of the required documents for delivery.

If you got TD MM insurance, then i suggest you play it safe and call in and get them to override the model and make sure the VIN is typed in.

Reactions: 03DSG
I sent it in to my delivery agent at Tesla who assigned the delivery date. When picking my delivery date, I told him that I had loaded my current insurance on my profile (wanted to make sure I did it properly). He said that was the correct thing to do since you cant get insurance until you have the delivery date. He said I should send a copy of the insurance (for the Tesla) to him since that is one of the required documents for delivery.

If you got TD MM insurance, then i suggest you play it safe and call in and get them to override the model and make sure the VIN is typed in.
....just re read your email...if your insurance shows a model 3 and your VIN, then you should be good....

Reactions: 03DSG

That's interesting. My DS accepted my insurance info showing a Model S 75D with my Model 3 VIN. I'm with TD MM as well. I even mentioned the issue to him and he said no problem then proceeded to upload the docs to my account.

• Informative
Reactions: papapodcasts
That's interesting. My DS accepted my insurance info showing a Model S 75D with my Model 3 VIN. I'm with TD MM as well. I even mentioned the issue to him and he said no problem then proceeded to upload the docs to my account.
Interesting. My DS must be more of a stickler. It could also have been because they didn't list the VIN on my document....if you run into an issue on the delivery day ( hopefully there is No issue), I was able to get TDMM to make the change and email me corrected documents within 20 min...so that is always a backup plan.

• Informative
Reactions: papapodcasts
Interesting. My DS must be more of a stickler. It could also have been because they didn't list the VIN on my document....if you run into an issue on the delivery day ( hopefully there is No issue), I was able to get TDMM to make the change and email me corrected documents within 20 min...so that is always a backup plan.
I'll keep that in mind, thank you.

Reactions: Beeblebrox42
I have got my insurance binding and temp pink slip with my VIN and Model 3 75. But my ISA said that I only need show them to the delivery agent during delivery. Before I got actual insurance, I was uploading the document which only showing my previous vehicle.

BTW, I will email ISA actual document.