Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto park trigger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m very new to Model 3 ownership. One of the things I was looking forward to is automatic parking. So far, I’ve had no success getting the car to even suggest doing so. Is there some setting I’m missing? As I read the manual, it should always be enabled and is independent of Autopilot. Suggestions? Thanks.

I’m very new to Model 3 ownership. One of the things I was looking forward to is automatic parking. So far, I’ve had no success getting the car to even suggest doing so. Is there some setting I’m missing? As I read the manual, it should always be enabled and is independent of Autopilot. Suggestions? Thanks.

Do you have FSD?

Because autopark doesn't come with the base car or with Autopilot- it's part of the FSD package. (it was also part of the EAP package but that hasn't been offered for a number of months now)

Firmware 2019.20.1 seems to have camera controlled auto park. I’ve never succeeded before today. I sidle up to a parallel parking space and the auto park option rarely shows up. Today it drew in the open parking spot on the screen and gave me the option to Start Autopark. I did it and it worked well.

I will try it a couple more times before I show it to my friends. I don’t know that it is using cameras as well as the ultrasonics, but it seems much better than versions from months past.

First of all, congratulations on your Model 3!! I hope you love it as much as I love mine.

So —- please done take what I’m about to say as an indictment of Model 3. I adore mine, and am glad I also bought the FSD Package. I use auto-lane-change and navigate-on-Autopilot quite a lot.

You are right, there’s no settings for it and has nothing to do with Autopilot modes. It either detects a spot and offers to autopark, or not.

That said ... not so much Autopark. Here’s why:

It only works in VERY limited situations.

Are you trying to parallel or perpendicular park?

Parallel parking, only works between cars (ie not at the end of a block or such) that are spaced no more than about 20 feet apart. The way to activate is to drive past the spot, almost an entire car length. Once the little “P in a circle” shows up (if it shows up) - put it in reverse and press the “Start parking” button that shows up.

For perpendicular parking, same kinda thing - pass the spot - almost 2 cars away and hope the P comes up.

Both are finicky and for me, those right scenarios only appear very infrequently.

To be honest, Autopark is the only real disappointing feature on Model 3 for me. It’s finicky, unavailable more often than it’s available, slow slow slow and makes me all sorts of nervous. Gets too close to other cars for my comfort.

I can do a MUCH better job parking, in a fraction of the time.

Auto park, for me, is a parlor trick. Much like Summon today.

Both are cool, but the current implementation are of very limited practical use for me.

• Helpful
Reactions: raptor5244
Firmware 2019.20.1 seems to have camera controlled auto park. I’ve never succeeded before today. I sidle up to a parallel parking space and the auto park option rarely shows up. Today it drew in the open parking spot on the screen and gave me the option to Start Autopark. I did it and it worked well.

I will try it a couple more times before I show it to my friends. I don’t know that it is using cameras as well as the ultrasonics, but it seems much better than versions from months past.

Thanks. Looks as though I’m at 2019.15.103; maybe it’s too old.

First of all, congratulations on your Model 3!! I hope you love it as much as I love mine.

So —- please done take what I’m about to say as an indictment of Model 3. I adore mine, and am glad I also bought the FSD Package. I use auto-lane-change and navigate-on-Autopilot quite a lot.

You are right, there’s no settings for it and has nothing to do with Autopilot modes. It either detects a spot and offers to autopark, or not.

That said ... not so much Autopark. Here’s why:

It only works in VERY limited situations.

Are you trying to parallel or perpendicular park?

Parallel parking, only works between cars (ie not at the end of a block or such) that are spaced no more than about 20 feet apart. The way to activate is to drive past the spot, almost an entire car length. Once the little “P in a circle” shows up (if it shows up) - put it in reverse and press the “Start parking” button that shows up.

For perpendicular parking, same kinda thing - pass the spot - almost 2 cars away and hope the P comes up.

Both are finicky and for me, those right scenarios only appear very infrequently.

To be honest, Autopark is the only real disappointing feature on Model 3 for me. It’s finicky, unavailable more often than it’s available, slow slow slow and makes me all sorts of nervous. Gets too close to other cars for my comfort.

I can do a MUCH better job parking, in a fraction of the time.

Auto park, for me, is a parlor trick. Much like Summon today.

Both are cool, but the current implementation are of very limited practical use for me.

Thanks for the details. I guess I need to keep track of software versions before concluding anything. Off to find the release notes.

Good information from @dmurphy but a couple of things to add:

- you must drive by slowly (< 15 mph for parallel and < 10 mph for perpendicular parking).
- potential parking spots are more reliably detected when driving by closer than you might expect -- no more than 2 feet or so.

And most importantly, read the limitations in the owner's manual. Several folks have posted about autopark "causing" an accident because it was used in a situation specifically described in the limitations.

Am I the only one that actually thinks autopark makes way too many possible parking suggestions?
Everytime I'm waiting for a traffic light it offers to parralel park me in the next Lane. And it's very keen on suggesting to park in some very impossible non existing "parking spots" whenever I'm driving slowly. Same happens in heavy traffic. It keeps suggesting to park in the slower moving Lane next to me

It probably is just a "parlor trick" but it's a good one. I've used it several times, including earlier today. Especially when parallel parking, it relieves my anxiety about getting it right when there is traffic behind me. FWIW, in my experience, you have to drive a little farther past the front of the spot than is intuitive before the "P" lights up.

You're not missing anything. It almost never seems suggest when to activate autopark. I've had the car for 14 months and I've literally only seen the autopark "P" on the screen about 5 times. I've just given up on it at this point.

When we took delivery of our Model S in Dec 17 auto park worked pretty well. I could fairly accurately predict when it would pick up a space. Now I cruise big box parking lots at length and it doesn't pick up anything. Same with parallel parking. To me it is another example of what other manufactures have pretty much mastered (parallel parking anyway) that prove difficult for Tesla.

For me, if I put the car on Hold, not in park, if I open my door it says automatically put in park to prevent roll away. This is a great feature.