Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Parking very good, except!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2019 S, EAP. Out this morning to test the auto parking. Conducted several parallel parking's and system worked great. Seems that it gets really close, but it maneuvered flawlessly. So, we tried parking perpendicular. I found a couple spots, waited for the "P" and put in reverse, hit the "start" and it backed in, pulled forward and then it continued to back into the spot. Flawless, but yet seemed close enough that you want to hit the brakes and take over. Pulling into the driveway, I always back in so rolled past the garage area and I get a " P ", ok, I'll try it. Put in reverse, hit the start screen icon and it starts backing into the garage! This time it wanted to back into the side of the garage and I had to stop prior to ramming into the side. That didn't work. So, I went out, turned around and tried it again, but the same thing happened. It wanted to back into the side of the garage. Laid tape down marking the area and that didn't help either. More than likely, since it is a two/two car garage the area was to big to center itself and tried to get as close to the side as possible. I don't know for sure, anyone else tried this?

As far as I am aware, auto park is only designed to work in marked parking spaces (e.g. street parking, parking lots, etc.) and also where there are is a space between two existing/parked cars. It isn't designed to be used for any other type of parking, like parking at home in your garage. Yes, sometimes the P shows up as it falsely identifies parking where there is none - sometimes you will even see this will driving in traffic.

So you are trying to use autopark in a situation in which it thinks it has found a spot between two parked cars where there aren't any, and this is why it is taking an unusual path.

Auto park right now doesn’t seem to care about lane markings as it is only using ultrasonics. Which is why it works for AP1 car without side cameras. For this to work, it needs a spot surrounded on all 3 sides with other cars (at least left and right side).

I have had my model s since the beginning of April and have yet to have the opportunity to try autopark. When in traffic, the parking P pops up. Is there any way to check if the sensors are functioning correctly? Or to recalibrate?

I have had my model s since the beginning of April and have yet to have the opportunity to try autopark. When in traffic, the parking P pops up. Is there any way to check if the sensors are functioning correctly? Or to recalibrate?
No. That's been a known issue from the start. Probably something that will be fixed "soon" in a future update:p. I mean howelse could it park itself with FSD? Or what about while in use as a robotaxi. Might cause problems if it dropped off a fair and parks itself in the middle of the street.