Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto pilot doesn’t detect deer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cruising down the highway at 60mph, just about dusk with auto pilot on, when I notice two deer run out in front of me about a hundred yards away. I instinctively tapped the brake just as the third one ran out. AP never set an alarm. If I hadn’t hit the brake, I might have whacked the third one.

• Informative
Reactions: Kentrock1
The list of things that AutoPilot is expected to detect: cars, trucks. The list of things that AutoPilot is NOT expected to detect: every other physical thing in the universe.

There, that should clear it up.:p

My X always see trucks as cars, and it hates Porsche. Most times, it displays a Porsche 997/911/Cayman as a truck.

Last edited:
Well to be honest, a car that doesn't stop for deer in pitch blackness and has AEB and autosteer is $88k.

Maybe cheaper if you don't want all wheel steering, all wheel drive, reclining rear seats, and heated/cooled 5-mode massage in all seats.

Anyone tried a moose?

Elon was not so confident on the moose back in 2016. From a quarterly conference call “Yeah it’s a good question. Actually, it should work for something like a moose – because it is quite a big mass, but it may not work for say a small deer. A small deer probably would not trigger braking, but a moose I think would. I’m not 100% sure of that, but I think it would trigger on a moose.”

Elon was not so confident on the moose back in 2016. From a quarterly conference call “Yeah it’s a good question. Actually, it should work for something like a moose – because it is quite a big mass, but it may not work for say a small deer. A small deer probably would not trigger braking, but a moose I think would. I’m not 100% sure of that, but I think it would trigger on a moose.”
300 lbs maybe, 600 lbs for sure!