Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Auto-pilot horrible ping pong, something seems wrong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only major change we made recently was installing new rear tires, but they are the standard size.

The car ping pongs in its lane almost violently when auto-pilot is engaged. Something definitely seems off. I have already washed the car because it was covered in bugs from a road trip, but the issue still persists. It swerved back and forth so bad one time that the traction control activation light came on - this was on a freeway going 75 mph...
We are on 2019.24.4

Any suggestions on what we can check to re-calibrate before making a service appointment that will no doubt be at least two weeks out?

Thanks!

The car ping pongs in its lane almost violently when auto-pilot is engaged.
You need to immediately set up a service appointment. There is nothing you can do to “re-calibrate” the car.

If it was my X I would drive it to the service center and insist that someone drive the car, with me in the passenger seat, to experience the issue. That can be an effective way to reduce the wait time for a service appointment.

have already washed the car because it was covered in bugs from a road trip, but the issue still persists.
Pretty sure your issue is not related to bugs on the front fender. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Silicon Desert
You need to immediately set up a service appointment. There is nothing you can do to “re-calibrate” the car.

If it was my X I would drive it to the service center and insist that someone drive the car, with me in the passenger seat, to experience the issue. That can be an effective way to reduce the wait time for a service appointment.

Pretty sure your issue is not related to bugs on the front fender. :rolleyes:
1. Our service center is so backed up, you get laughed at for walking in without an appointment. (Tried this)
2. Had there been bugs all over the cameras I have heard that can cause some funky AP issues.

Have your tried Mobile service and seen if they can do anything sooner? Dublin had a 3-4 week wait for service appointments as of last Wednesday. Mobile service was a couple of days.

Also, make sure the radar and ultrasonic sensors are clean

Cleaned the sensors, had mobile service out for something else and they wouldn’t have been able to do anything. Got an appointment for August 23rd. Dublin is terrible...

Actually, I have actually driven into the Dublin Service center and talked to them, and gotten things taken care of. They have busy times, of course, but sometimes they can talk to your car while you are in line and see what the logs say.

Dublin and I assume all SCs are trying to become appointment only via the app. They will still take you in if you have an emergency. But for anything that can wait you need an appointment. And they are really pushing mobile service.

The only major change we made recently was installing new rear tires, but they are the standard size.

The car ping pongs in its lane almost violently when auto-pilot is engaged. Something definitely seems off. I have already washed the car because it was covered in bugs from a road trip, but the issue still persists. It swerved back and forth so bad one time that the traction control activation light came on - this was on a freeway going 75 mph...
We are on 2019.24.4

Any suggestions on what we can check to re-calibrate before making a service appointment that will no doubt be at least two weeks out?

Thanks!
I wonder if your alignment is off. Regardless, you definitely need the S.C. to take a look.

That would be strange since we had the alignment done the day before. The common theme is new tires and alignment were done the day before the problem started happening.

Could be out or round or otherwide defective tire. We had them in our family shop a few times after putting a new set on. Definitely unusual, but unheard of.

Reactions: jerseygirl18
I have a similar story to the others.

I just had Tesla install new rear 20” Continental tires and do an alignment on my 2017 Model X 75D. Shortly after that service, I noticed the autopilot ping pong began.

Annoying at 70mph, and scary at 80 mph. When I hold the wheel to keep it centered in the lane, I end up pulling it out of auto steer.

So a week later I took it back to Tesla here in south Florida. Took it to the Dania Beach S.C., and they said they did another alignment, and a calibration of the cameras. Said they did a test drive, and everything was okay. So I immediately got on the highway to test it out, and it was exactly the same as it was. Auto pilot at highway speeds is at this point unusable.

I just purchased FSD recently, and at this point I can’t even use EAP.

Sucks.

I just had Tesla install new rear 20” Continental tires and do an alignment on my 2017 Model X 75D. Shortly after that service, I noticed the autopilot ping pong began.

Annoying at 70mph, and scary at 80 mph. When I hold the wheel to keep it centered in the lane, I end up pulling it out of auto steer.

So a week later I took it back to Tesla here in south Florida. Took it to the Dania Beach S.C., and they said they did another alignment, and a calibration of the cameras. Said they did a test drive, and everything was okay. So I immediately got on the highway to test it out, and it was exactly the same as it was. Auto pilot at highway speeds is at this point unusable.

Sucks.
Take it back and go on a drive with the tech. Ping ponging is not normal.

Ping-ponging —-big issue—— I refuse to use navigate on auto pilot for this reason.

My wife an I were driving between El Paso Texas and Marfa Texas late April of this year ....I engage navigate on auto pilot for the first time At 75 miles an hour it ping ponged incessantly for about 5 miles.
Not going to try again without assurances or an explanation

I have complained about this Spence and until Tesla does something to convince me that they have rectified the situation I refuse to use navigate on auto pilot.

it’s just too dicey

Also I continue to get complaints from passengers on how erratic auto pilot is ...jerky.......Not a comfortable ride - lots of complaint and motion sickness

Sucks.

Usually you never want to replace just rears on a 4WD drive car. Consider replacing all 4 with the same brand of tire.

But in the interim go to the SC and have a tech go for a ride and see what they say

Last edited:
UPDATE:

So I took the car back to the SC, and they re-calibrated the cameras and did another alignment, but still the car oscillated on the highway.

Then they decided to change the front tires.

They said they had some new front 20” rim/tires in the warehouse, So they installed them and went for another test drive.

The result, problem solved. The SC called me, and told me that I’d have to buy 2 new front tires on the car, even though my tires had some life left on them. I agreed because I was just desperate to solve the issue.

A day later, I picked up my car and got the service invoice. Their was not a charge for the alignment, and also no charge for the 2 new tires. I was shocked. The service line said, GOOD WILL SERVICE, no charge, so that was really nice and unexpected. So immediately I drove the car on the highway and it drove perfectly, just as it did prior to me changing out the rear tires.

So my assessment is, when I changed the rear tires, but didn’t change the front tires, I inadvertently caused the ping pong issue. Which kind of goes along with some of the other owners reports of changing their rears, then having an issue.

The only remaining issue that I have is the fact that when they did the alignment, they did not set the steering wheel perfectly straight, so when I’m driving in a straight line, the wheel is turned a bit to the right. We’re talking maybe 5 degrees or so.
So I’m not sure if I should be a nag and bring it back for another alignment or not. Any opinion on that?