Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto-steer does not slow down at curves

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive at full speed around corners because that's how I drive. I suspect Tesla needs to have a choice on the screen to let the car know who's driving. My wife could use "female" mode, as she'd be upset with "Granny" mode. Then there'd need to be a mode for inexperienced drivers, hot rod drivers, experienced drivers, etc. I would have felt perfectly safe letting the car drive, though I always have a hand on the wheel and eyes on the road, so this would not have happened.

And I don't use FSD much at all. I like to drive, not to nanny.
My wife would need lead foot mode. The neighbors all hear her leaving for work in the morning as she winds her MINI Cooper 6-speed almost up to the redline in first!

I don't have the FSD beta but I hate how much autosteer slows down for corners. I'm always using the go pedal to maintain speed in corners.

Then again the reason I don't have FSD beta is it complains I corner too fast.

The way I look at it is anything in the cabin should be secured and not rolling around. The posted caution limits are for semi trucks I should be able to take it much faster in a car. One of the freeway interchanges near me has a caution speed of 35mph I would take it at 70mph in my car 60mph in a 1 ton dually truck.

My wife would need lead foot mode. The neighbors all hear her leaving for work in the morning as she winds her MINI Cooper 6-speed almost up to the redline in first!
Less than optimal for a cold engine. Causes excessive wear. But I'm sure you know that.

Women are still believed to be gentler than men, but I sometimes suspect that some into a different mode when dealing with technical devices, rather than living beings. I sometimes see extreme brutality. Or is it perhaps just total ignorance?

I'm an engineer. When I deal with a machine, my senses are deep inside, between levers, valves, and sprockets. :) I never needed synchronized gears.

2021.44.25.2 looks like an improvement to me. It now gets through a right curve that never worked with earlier versions. Speed limit on that road is 60 km/h = 37 mph.

It brakes in the curve. Seems to lack foresight, i.e. brakes only when the centrifugal force has already grown, but at least makes it through that particular curve safely. I guess though that steeper curves and higher speeds still present unsolvable problems.

This is probably not overly significant, as the new FSD is already around the corner, but it seems to show that Tesla is working on the autopilot and improving things ever so slightly.

No Beta now here but mine does this all the time. 45 mph road same place not a real sharp curve easy to take car hit the reflectors and rides the yellow line while it finally slowed once on top of the yellow line as it tried to correct itself. Beta is right. Oncoming traffic as well as myself are slightly freaking as I tug the wheel to the right about to disengage. This is just regular autosteer. Not good.

My car really struggles with one of the curves on my commute. I'm anxious to see if the holiday update helps!

Screenshot 2022-01-01 092259.png

Curves are not the same as turns. My 2020 Y slows down for turns for not for curves. Many times it slows down during the curve instead of in advance, which is very dangerous. Also entering a highway on a curved entrance ramp goes into the right late slightly even if a car is there.