Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto steer Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I have a question about auto steer. My M3 goes down the road and slightly sways back and forth in the lane. I don’t know how it looks outside the car but it seems very noticeable to me. It’s like it drifts left and then corrects right maybe every second or two. It seems to stay in the middle of the lane fine. I just wanted to know if this is how it is for others.

Hi, I have a question about auto steer. My M3 goes down the road and slightly sways back and forth in the lane. I don’t know how it looks outside the car but it seems very noticeable to me. It’s like it drifts left and then corrects right maybe every second or two. It seems to stay in the middle of the lane fine. I just wanted to know if this is how it is for others.

how new to the car are you? Supposedly the car calibrates the auto steer but that takes less than 50miles of *you* driving. Have you ever been in another Tesla with autopilot? Sometimes mine will ping/pong between the lines until it figures it out. The lines on the road are not perfect and it’s constantly measuring.

If you really don’t think it’s working...don’t use it and make an appointment through the app to get it checked out.

Thanks for the replies. I have about two thousand miles on the car. It does have a pinched wiring harness that has kept the right side B pillar camera out of service for most of the time. Mobile service is supposed to change that soon. Perhaps the tech can check it out then. The problem is constant, any type of road. It seems like it will wear my tires out early.

Thanks for the replies. I have about two thousand miles on the car. It does have a pinched wiring harness that has kept the right side B pillar camera out of service for most of the time. Mobile service is supposed to change that soon. Perhaps the tech can check it out then. The problem is constant, any type of road. It seems like it will wear my tires out early.

If you’ve got a camera that’s broken then yeah... I’d say that’s a pretty good reason it’s not working too well.

My M3 goes down the road and slightly sways back and forth in the lane.

It seems to stay in the middle of the lane fine.
So it stays “in the middle of the lane fine” but it “slightly sways back and forth in the lane“.

In my opinion it is normal for the driver to be able to sense slight steering corrections being made by Auto Steer. Not unlike human drivers making corrections to stay in their lane.

This tendency to sway a bit, experienced more by some people than by others, may help to explain the posts I have seen that say some people seem more prone to car sickness in their family Tesla than in other cars. It may not be the car itself (i.e., not the design or the ride or the sound, etc.), it may be the frequency or nature of these constant lane position adjustments. As for me, my 2015 AP1 Model S has sometimes seemed rock solid and other times seemed to ping-pong. I have a tendency to suspect the latest software update breaks it from time to time, but more likely it is just not as steady as I imagine. Right now I have a loaner with AP2, and it seems to ping-pong a bit more on the same roads, and also to make adjustments more rapidly than my AP1 car. Other places, it is very steady. I could see how some people might become hyper-aware of these motions if they are prone to motion sickness....Fortunately, no one has compained about feeling ill while in my car.

Since V10 I started noticing pretty bad wandering in the lane. On V9 auto steer was perfectly locked in the middle of the lane. It’s actually nauseating now and it makes me look like a drunk driver. Huge downgrade in auto-steer centering ability unfortunately.

Since V10 I started noticing pretty bad wandering in the lane. On V9 auto steer was perfectly locked in the middle of the lane. It’s actually nauseating now and it makes me look like a drunk driver. Huge downgrade in auto-steer centering ability unfortunately.
I wonder why the different experiences among different users. I have over 1000 miles on V10 (32.12.2) Autosteer, and it was nice and smooth. I did notice it cheats away from big trucks in adjacent lanes, but it did so gently.

E2B4C911-AA9F-4784-AC2F-DEED15E292CC.jpeg
Hello, In two-lane roads I am not confident or happy with AP. The car positions itself close to the center lines. So not in middle of the lane but close to left where cars drive opposite direction. My natural way is driving a bit off centre to the right. 99% of the drivers choose middle of the lane or bit to right. This makes me not use AP on two-way roads. In right turns it gets even worse. Instead of choosing the safe inside it almost drives on the middle line just missing claxonning traffic approaching. I went to service to calibrate but they said all was normal. Is this normal?

Attachments

• D3759255-AA08-4F0E-BC11-79208D6B4437.jpeg
    D3759255-AA08-4F0E-BC11-79208D6B4437.jpeg
    314.2 KB · Views: 53
View attachment 538684 Hello, In two-lane roads I am not confident or happy with AP. The car positions itself close to the center lines. So not in middle of the lane but close to left where cars drive opposite direction

AP is not intended for such roads with undivided oncoming traffic, driveways and intersections, etc...

It's in the owners manual.

EU Owners manual page 119 said:
Autosteer is intended for use only by a fully attentive driver on freeways and highways where access is limited by entry and exit ramps