Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto steer Question

Mickrat

Oct 22, 2019
Lowell, IN
Hi, I have a question about auto steer. My M3 goes down the road and slightly sways back and forth in the lane. I don’t know how it looks outside the car but it seems very noticeable to me. It’s like it drifts left and then corrects right maybe every second or two. It seems to stay in the middle of the lane fine. I just wanted to know if this is how it is for others.

jdw

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2015
Vancouver
AP can oscillate like that sometimes, but also, around here anyway, the lines themselves wander. I think drinking on the job is a prerequisite for Montreal line painters.

• Funny
Reactions: lukex4 and DavidB

Matsayz

Jul 6, 2019
Las Vegas
Hi, I have a question about auto steer. My M3 goes down the road and slightly sways back and forth in the lane. I don’t know how it looks outside the car but it seems very noticeable to me. It’s like it drifts left and then corrects right maybe every second or two. It seems to stay in the middle of the lane fine. I just wanted to know if this is how it is for others.

how new to the car are you? Supposedly the car calibrates the auto steer but that takes less than 50miles of *you* driving. Have you ever been in another Tesla with autopilot? Sometimes mine will ping/pong between the lines until it figures it out. The lines on the road are not perfect and it’s constantly measuring.

If you really don’t think it’s working...don’t use it and make an appointment through the app to get it checked out.

Mickrat

Oct 22, 2019
Lowell, IN
Thanks for the replies. I have about two thousand miles on the car. It does have a pinched wiring harness that has kept the right side B pillar camera out of service for most of the time. Mobile service is supposed to change that soon. Perhaps the tech can check it out then. The problem is constant, any type of road. It seems like it will wear my tires out early.

CharleyBC

Jun 28, 2019
Talent, OR
It does have a pinched wiring harness that has kept the right side B pillar camera out of service for most of the time.
Hmm. So if you're down one camera, the car may not be seeing the lane lines so well as it needs to. I never thought about exactly which cameras are involved in Autosteer. Not sure about the B-pillar camera.

Matsayz

Jul 6, 2019
Las Vegas
Thanks for the replies. I have about two thousand miles on the car. It does have a pinched wiring harness that has kept the right side B pillar camera out of service for most of the time. Mobile service is supposed to change that soon. Perhaps the tech can check it out then. The problem is constant, any type of road. It seems like it will wear my tires out early.

If you’ve got a camera that’s broken then yeah... I’d say that’s a pretty good reason it’s not working too well.

ecarfan

Sep 21, 2013
West Vancouver, British Columbia
My M3 goes down the road and slightly sways back and forth in the lane.

It seems to stay in the middle of the lane fine.
So it stays “in the middle of the lane fine” but it “slightly sways back and forth in the lane“.

In my opinion it is normal for the driver to be able to sense slight steering corrections being made by Auto Steer. Not unlike human drivers making corrections to stay in their lane.

David29

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
This tendency to sway a bit, experienced more by some people than by others, may help to explain the posts I have seen that say some people seem more prone to car sickness in their family Tesla than in other cars. It may not be the car itself (i.e., not the design or the ride or the sound, etc.), it may be the frequency or nature of these constant lane position adjustments. As for me, my 2015 AP1 Model S has sometimes seemed rock solid and other times seemed to ping-pong. I have a tendency to suspect the latest software update breaks it from time to time, but more likely it is just not as steady as I imagine. Right now I have a loaner with AP2, and it seems to ping-pong a bit more on the same roads, and also to make adjustments more rapidly than my AP1 car. Other places, it is very steady. I could see how some people might become hyper-aware of these motions if they are prone to motion sickness....Fortunately, no one has compained about feeling ill while in my car.

5_+JqckQttqck

Apr 27, 2018
Toronto
I notice the car will veer slightly away from large transport trucks and then re-center to the lane once it passes the truck. Have not check this against the medians that come ghastly close on the left lane sometimes.

dhcofc

Jun 20, 2019
Greenville, SC
Since V10 I started noticing pretty bad wandering in the lane. On V9 auto steer was perfectly locked in the middle of the lane. It’s actually nauseating now and it makes me look like a drunk driver. Huge downgrade in auto-steer centering ability unfortunately.

CharleyBC

Jun 28, 2019
Talent, OR
Since V10 I started noticing pretty bad wandering in the lane. On V9 auto steer was perfectly locked in the middle of the lane. It’s actually nauseating now and it makes me look like a drunk driver. Huge downgrade in auto-steer centering ability unfortunately.
I wonder why the different experiences among different users. I have over 1000 miles on V10 (32.12.2) Autosteer, and it was nice and smooth. I did notice it cheats away from big trucks in adjacent lanes, but it did so gently.

H.Kart

Mar 23, 2019
Netherlands
E2B4C911-AA9F-4784-AC2F-DEED15E292CC.jpeg
Hello, In two-lane roads I am not confident or happy with AP. The car positions itself close to the center lines. So not in middle of the lane but close to left where cars drive opposite direction. My natural way is driving a bit off centre to the right. 99% of the drivers choose middle of the lane or bit to right. This makes me not use AP on two-way roads. In right turns it gets even worse. Instead of choosing the safe inside it almost drives on the middle line just missing claxonning traffic approaching. I went to service to calibrate but they said all was normal. Is this normal?

Attachments

• D3759255-AA08-4F0E-BC11-79208D6B4437.jpeg
    D3759255-AA08-4F0E-BC11-79208D6B4437.jpeg
    314.2 KB · Views: 14

Knightshade

Jul 31, 2017
NC
View attachment 538684 Hello, In two-lane roads I am not confident or happy with AP. The car positions itself close to the center lines. So not in middle of the lane but close to left where cars drive opposite direction

AP is not intended for such roads with undivided oncoming traffic, driveways and intersections, etc...

It's in the owners manual.

EU Owners manual page 119 said:
Autosteer is intended for use only by a fully attentive driver on freeways and highways where access is limited by entry and exit ramps

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC